Gaining weight

Reaction score
Need to find a diet that doesn’t break the bank to gain weight. I’m 36 165lbs 5’10” all my life I have struggled to put on weight. Most I have weight is 180 (took allot of hard work to get there) then I broke my leg and clavicle and dropped to 128lbs wile I was laying around watching tv and eating pizza.
I have to start hitting the gym pretty hard so figured I would also take the opportunity to put on some weight. any advice is welcome also need a good supplement source.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Whole milk.

Rice

oatmeal

olive oil

eggs.

Add pasta,beans,chicken leg quarters (39 cents per lb), ground beef is 1.99 lb (@ Walmart in 10lb. Roll) , pork butt roast(99cents lb)

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
Last time I tried this I was told peanut butter protein shakes , tuna and pasta took me over a year to get to 180 doing that

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Last time I tried this I was told peanut butter protein shakes , tuna and pasta took me over a year to get to 180 doing that

Your shakes should be calorie dense. Something like:

2c whole milk
2 tbp PB
1/2 c oats
1/2 banana
1-2 scoops whey.

You gotta eat until you’re full. Then continue eating until you really can’t eat more. Not fun and not comfortable.

You wont be able to eat enough of you are only eating 3x/day.

Something like 4-5 meals + 2 of the above shakes a day.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
McDonalds, Chipotle, Popeyes, lucky 88 Jade garden happy chinese restaurant, any buffet... See where I am going with this?

If you have a hard time gaining weight or keeping it on and eating "clean" has been your strategy to date, start eating things that have more calories per bite than chicken or oats.

Try following an 80/20 rule. You do need a good variety of food to perform best imo, but when gaining weight is the goal, you bend some rules.

20% of your cals should consist of entirely the opposite of eating clean.

Also get used to being nauseated after some meals.

Reaction score
Well TBH I eat like shit right now and I do eat more than most people my size I’ve just always stayed very slim especially if I’m not active. Sounds like forcing gratuitous amount of food down my throat is the best bet. But thanks I will still keep that in mind and try and include lots of fats as well.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Forcefeeding is way less fun than starving yourself. Get used to feeling gross and watch the weight climb.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Tuna is the worst idea. There isn’t much calories in it and it’s expensive per calorie.

I also find beef harder to eat since I get full fast and my digestion slows down for a day. Even though it’s not clean, I don’t eat enough for it to ruin things when I’m dieting. I’d imagine it would be bad for gaining for the same reasons.

I suggest looking through Brick’s post for his various breakfast ideas. That’ll add some weight - fast.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I eat pretty much the same whether gaining or cutting fat. Just more or less. Get your mind around new serving sizes. A bowl of cereal is not a serving. A box is. One whole pizza, not one slice. You're not gonna get big on chicken breast and broccoli. Double cheeseburgers, chocolate shakes, pizza, steak, pasta. One double whopper sandwhich with mayo and cheese is about 1000 cals. It should he easier than you think to get in a calorie surplus. If you're hung up on putting on fat get over that thinking right now. As POB sais, it's a lot easier to take off fat then put on muscle. Just some thoughts.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Yep. Fast food is cheap and calorie dense. You'll gain weight fast. I blew up like a blowfish on that shit lol.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
All the above plus get some good blood work done to make sure nothing is awry there.

New Threads