Omega 3s

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I was working with our internal medicine doc today sedating his endoscopies and the topic turned to fish oil and omega 3s. This guy is pretty serious and a damn good critical care physician, he knows his stuff. Anyway, he told me that the AHA has very, very recently changed positions on recommendations for daily omega 3and no longer does so because it's no longer supported as having any effect either way, with or without, on heart dx.

I got this in a quick search, if anybody has anything further please add.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I can say that in my personal experience, 9 months of eating the cleanest possible diet, and supplementing with fish oil, as well as eating an avocaco every single day did absolutely NOTHING for my HDL cholesterol. For the earlier months, I was taking 2,400 mg of fish oil per day, then I ramped it up to 4,800 mg per day as I got closer to the labs. Going further, the only compound that I added was EQ, and it was over 20 weeks since my last injection prior to those labs.

Unfortunately, after dieting for 9 months straight, I went off the reservation after receiving those lab results and stopped dieting all together. As a result, I added 20 pounds, and I'm fairly certain it was more fat than muscle. The good news is I already lost ten of those pounds and it shocked my doctor when I went in about 6 weeks later and was ten pounds lighter. Now the diet is back into high gear again where I am watching ALL my macros.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks to Seeker, I’m in the camp of people who believe heart disease is a the bodies response to oxidized fats in the blood stream.

Oil heated above its flash point smokes aka oxidizes. I imagine half the fried food in resterent is cooked in oil that’s been oxidized many times over.

Why would fish oil have any effect on that? If you eat oxidized fat with almonds, fish oil, spinach etc. - you’re still eating oxidized oil. Your body will encase it in plaque to wall it off and there goes your heart attack.

I do believe fish fish oil has plenty of other positive health benefits and take a swig every day now.

Then again, my oxidized fat belief is more dogmatic then scientifically proven.

daddyboul

Reaction score
I dont eat my fish oil for my heart, I do it for my joints. Eat clean and have good genes and your heart will be fine.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I'd be cautious in going against fish oil based on the serious methodological issues I've seen within the data that dismisses its usefulness. For example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29387889
- This 2018 highly publicized meta-analysis, referenced by many media sources, dismisses fish oil use for the prevention of fatal CHD/any other cardiovascular disease (CVD) in people who already have CVD or are already at high risk of developing CVD.

- The studies analyzed here supplemented with fish oil for 4.4yrs with men who were already 60+yrs of age at the beginning. Coronary plaque buildup begins in your 20s and we already know that CVD develops over a lifetime so is it really surprising to see the negative result here?
- They included studies using a dose of omega-3 that only resulted in a 1% increase in omega-3 blood levels so, again, is it really surprising to see that such a small increase did nothing beneficial?

- No honest advocate recommends fish oil as a miracle supp. It is recommended based on the idea that long term use may prevent you from falling into the high-risk category to begin with. That particular recommendation wasn't addressed in this paper because of the selection criteria.
- Data from patients with pre-existing CVD cannot, and should not, be extrapolated to the prevention of heart attacks in the general population. This can only be studied with a primary prevention trial with subjects who have not had a cardiovascular event yet. That data doesn't exist so far.

- Also, multi-factorial. Fish oil alone isn't going to do shit if everything else in your life (diet, etc) is clearly designed to head you down the path of CVD. Again, it isn't a miracle supp.

Bricks' link does address the other benefits of fish oil, particularly when it comes to being pretty awesome at reducing triglyceride levels, which illustrates the point that you shouldn't be dismissing a supplement just because it failed to have an effect on a single endpoint with a very specific group of patients. That, IMO, is the mistake made by the AHA. OK, it might not do shit for folks with already ****ed up cardiovascular systems. That doesn't mean it's useless for everyone else and for everything else.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I started taking it for joints and it seems to help for that but maybe coincidental. Im hoping being a cardio freak will prevent any heart attacks. And my genes.

My dad is straight up fat and sedentary. Hes been 280-300 lbs most of his life and hes in his mid sixties now. Doctor sent him in for a full heart workup last year and did the whole nine yards. Phucking perfect. Im hoping I got a bunch of those x's and y's......

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
And the pendulum swings once again on diet and nutrition . I'll just stay my course with the fish oil and a mega 3s until they do another study and tell me it's g2g once again.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
I follow my grandad. 98 and still running a round. His words to me …….take your cod liver oil tabs daily young man.
so thats what I do.
51 and no sore joints...happydays

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Look, guy. We get it.

You don’t have to rub it in after almost ruining the Mr. O by not competing.

Are you gonna yell at Stanley now too. Nobody living to 98 in my family.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Krill oil makes a difference on my labs, guess I am some sort of medical freak.....

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Eat clean and have good genes and your heart will be fine.

Straight up!! I’ve had my heart checked and it’s strong as fuuck thank god...like most other things..family history is # 1 and the way we take care of ourselves # 2!

New Threads