Advice for first time competitor

Jymjunkie

Reaction score
Anything that those of you that have competed would share for someone that is looking into doing first bodybuilding show?
what to expect, something that you know now that you wish you had known then...
you guys remember that feeling of uncertainty and confusion you had before your first show.

Jymjunkie

Reaction score
Don’t trust the short fat bearded guy that claims to be an “investor”?
A couple of my buddies are “sponsored athletes”
they just get free shit from time to time but is this a bad idea?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
When you looking at competing? Which show?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1) go watch the show the year before you are going to enter it to get an idea of the caliber of competitors.

2) never underestimate posing and how hard it is to hold during pre judging. Practice, practice, practice.

3) Use video to critique you poses. It’s easy to hit a static shot, but transitions matter.

4) if you have time, peak twice. One for practice, one for the real deal.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Based on your other posts so far, I don’t think competing is a good idea for you right now.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Based on your other posts so far, I don’t think competing is a good idea for you right now.

Kind of agree but at the same time, sink or swim may be just what he needs to get it together?

JJ I have never done a BB show, so only advice I have for you is hire a proven and competent professional to guide you.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I dont know. Im in the camp of, goal setting, stepping out of comfort zones, striving for anything that requires focus and dedication is helpful for recovery.

Realistic expectations are a must though.

Ive been looking for something like this to compete in myself but I cant find the right fit. Bodybuilding shows arent my bag, I dont fit in as a powerlifter or strongman competitor, and am not willing to lose muscle mass for an endurance event. Ill figure it out though

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Kind of agree but at the same time, sink or swim may be just what he needs to get it together?

JJ I have never done a BB show, so only advice I have for you is hire a proven and competent professional to guide you.
Valid point. And only he can count the final risk/reward tally.

Jymjunkie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
i work at the gym, so i spend most of my days there, and a couple guys that i train with suggested doing a show. Giving me something to work towards. I definitely dont want it to jepordize everything else i have going on though

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I dont fit in as a powerlifter

This right here says you’ve never attended a local level non-tested powerlifting meet. I specifically say non-tested because even though over half the people competing are natty, everyone is way friendlier than at the ipf/usapl meets. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder there for some reason.

ANYWAY....
Everyone fits in in powerlifting. Literally everyone. I’ve watched people from 8-80 compete and everyone screams just as loud for a PR.

Do
a
meet

even if its one one of those bets push-pull meets ;)
it WILL change your outlook on training.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
This right here says you’ve never attended a local level non-tested powerlifting meet. I specifically say non-tested because even though over half the people competing are natty, everyone is way friendlier than at the ipf/usapl meets. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder there for some reason.

ANYWAY....
Everyone fits in in powerlifting. Literally everyone. I’ve watched people from 8-80 compete and everyone screams just as loud for a PR.

Do
a
meet

even if its one one of those bets push-pull meets ;)
it WILL change your outlook on training.

For years I havent been able to get under a squat bar is the reason I say that. Im working on it though. I think I'd probably do ok in my weight class.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
For years I havent been able to get under a squat bar is the reason I say that. Im working on it though. I think I'd probably do ok in my weight class.
Shoulder issues? Your hands can go all the way out, just don’t touch the plates. Push-pull at a sanctioned full-power meet is an option too, still gets you the atmosphere. It’s really something you have to experience.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Let me know if I can help in any way JJ. I cant wait to see you starving and dehydrated.

Ps- Im not shaving or oiling any of your parts.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Hire a competent coach - this alone will address all of the valid "uncertainty" and "confusion" you may have. Secondary to this, I'd suggest keeping things simple and treating it as a learning experience. No complex peaking protocol, no exotic drugs you've never used before, no ridiculous doses that you've never used before, etc, etc.

Last edited:

New Threads