Deadlifting for PR's

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
My best deadlift ever was 567 last month, never used straps in my life. Just chalk and an overhand overhand pull.

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
Pull hook if you have the balls for it. Over/under should be a last resort in my personal opinion. For a top level athlete it always ends one of two ways; large muscle imbalances or a torn bicep.

Interesting...everything I've ever read said over-under grip was THE way to do deadlifts...

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Interesting...everything I've ever read said over-under grip was THE way to do deadlifts...

Pretty well all the best in the world do double overhand. I started double overhand just because Ive always trained for hypertrophy and over under seemed like it would cause imbalances

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I use them once i get up around 300 on deads. Ive done the breathing POB mentioned but probably not properly and in the way he laid out to do it.

What are the odds of an injury to the thumb with a hook grip? Ive never used one before but im all for whatever will aid in lifting heavier.
pretty minimal risk. It hurts but you’ll adapt. You don’t feel the pain when you pull a PR.

I have deadlifted a max of 505 without straps of any kind but my grip was on a razor's edge of failing. Once I got to the top of the lift I didn't have a choice to let go or not, it was coming down lol

Snake's thread about the hooks has me curious and I'm sort of looking into them.
i would STRONGLY advise against hooks for dl. You need to be able to bail if necessary.

Ppl be scared of a little pain ;)

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I’ve pulled 585 double overhand sumo, but failed at conventional. The speed off the floor rips it out of my hands.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
One easy change you can make is stop thinking of your sets as a group of reps. Think of it as successive singles. Your setup and bracing are very important for a max effort single. The more practice you can get the better.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One easy change you can make is stop thinking of your sets as a group of reps. Think of it as successive singles. Your setup and bracing are very important for a max effort single. The more practice you can get the better.

This is gold. it's how I learned to pull and how I taught my Danny Divito looking wife. If you're doing a set of 5, think of it as 5 quick singles. This will teach you to properly set up and brace for every rep.

Also - touch and go is out for your PL training. No bouncing plates off the ground. It's not an option anyways if you do what Tool and I are saying. But if you're going to keep doing sets, there is a slight pause on the floor. Touch and go has it's place, but not for you right now.

New Threads