Deadlifting for PR's

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
So, because of my early recovery I need to set and chase goals more than ever. I have a solid bench press already so i decided that a 600 lb deadlift was a respectable goal to go after. Today I maxed out so I would know where Im at. I topped out at 545 and was really happy with that. I thought that was pretty good for a guy who doesnt squat and trains entirely for hypertrophy. But holy shit, I almost blacked out. I maintained good form but my vision started to close in and I saw stars for minutes after.

Any tips for chasing a PR on deads? Ps- I do conventional, double overhand.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You almost fainted because you took air into the chest is all.

Put one hand on your chest and one on your belly button. Breathe in thru your nose slowly and fill your abdomen with air. The hand on your chest shouldn't move. The one on your stomach will rise. Breathe out thru the mouth.

Once you get that down, move to step two. Brace. With a belly full of air, hold your breath. Tuck your ribs down to your pelvis like you are about to get punched in the stomach.

Now do it at the bar. You should be so tight that it's hard to get down to the bar with all that air. You might feel like your head is gonna explode but you get used to that.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score

Put one hand on your chest and one on your belly button. Breathe in thru your nose slowly and fill your abdomen with air. The hand on your chest shouldn't move. The one on your stomach will rise. Breathe out thru the mouth.

Once you get that down, move to step two. Brace. With a belly full of air, hold your breath. Tuck your ribs down to your pelvis like you are about to get punched in the stomach.

Now do it at the bar. You should be so tight that it's hard to get down to the bar with all that air. You might feel like your head is gonna explode but you get used to that.

Thanks as always man! It was definitely not a fun feeling but picking up a lot of weight was pretty dick hardening.

Im gonna get busy really making my shoulder mobility improve so I can start getting under a squat bar. Enough of this

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score

545 double overhand for a bber, I’m going to make an educated guess and say he’s probably using straps. Throws a wrench into the proper breathing thing.

May I suggest hook grip?

:32 (10):

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
We all make that mistake at least once. It happened to me last year when I was trying fasted workouts in the early AM doing squats. I only had 315 on the bar, but my body started to go totally limp on the third rep of my last set. I was able to recover without dumping out, but it was a scary experience for a split second knowing that I wasn't in control of my lift. In fact, it scared the ever living sh*t out of me.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You need to learn how to get your air and brace properly. Pillar has it explained. Chris Duffin has a pretty damn good YouTube vid on proper bracing. Need to get the air into your diaphragm and not your chest.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
545 double overhand for a bber, I’m going to make an educated guess and say he’s probably using straps. Throws a wrench into the proper breathing thing.

May I suggest hook grip?

:32 (10):

Good find, I missed that.

X2 on the hook grip

Muahahahahaha

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also when you feel like you are going down, take a knee right away. You don’t want to become a YouTube video if someone blacking out and dropping headfirst into a stack of plates.

or be doing speed squats in my garage and crash through a wall like the kool-aid guy....

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I do use straps once I get above 365......

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Pull hook if you have the balls for it. Over/under should be a last resort in my personal opinion. For a top level athlete it always ends one of two ways; large muscle imbalances or a torn bicep.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I do use straps once I get above 365......

Lucky you. I have to use them past 315 due to my left wrist being mangled by an airbag in a car accident. The moral of that story is when someone crosses the center line, do not blow your horn because they will still hit you and you don't want your wrist on that airbag when it deploys!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also when you feel like you are going down, take a knee right away. You don’t want to become a YouTube video if someone blacking out and dropping headfirst into a stack of plates.

or be doing speed squats in my garage and crash through a wall like the kool-aid guy....

Ooooh Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

8CnOKD6.png

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Thanks guys but fill me in on the advantage of hook gripping over straps.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score

At first it will feel like you are going to pull your thumbs out of your sockets, but you can hold more weight with the hook grip than double overhand alone. Well, after you get used to it, lol.

I spoke to my stepfather about this, and he used to be an amateur body builder back in the 80s competing on the local circuit. He put it to me this way, he asked if I cared more about working out my back or my grip. I told him I would rather develop my back due to the wrist injury injury, so he said use the straps since they help me lift more weight.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Thats why I use straps but Im being told not to and wondering why. Im not a powerlifter so happy to learn and experiment

Reaction score
That’s a great number dawg, not surprising since you’re obviously strong as shit anyway. 600 is probably pretty close for you.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Because it’s impossible for you to do all the breathing and bracing that pob mentioned, get down to the bar, wrap the straps, and pull before you black out.
Hook grip takes just a split second longer than grabbing the bar normally.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Because it’s impossible for you to do all the breathing and bracing that pob mentioned, get down to the bar, wrap the straps, and pull before you black out.
Hook grip takes just a split second longer than grabbing the bar normally.

Gotcha. I always just figured deads and straps went like peanut butter and jelly.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I use them once i get up around 300 on deads. Ive done the breathing POB mentioned but probably not properly and in the way he laid out to do it.

What are the odds of an injury to the thumb with a hook grip? Ive never used one before but im all for whatever will aid in lifting heavier.

Last edited:

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have deadlifted a max of 505 without straps of any kind but my grip was on a razor's edge of failing. Once I got to the top of the lift I didn't have a choice to let go or not, it was coming down lol

Snake's thread about the hooks has me curious and I'm sort of looking into them.

New Threads