Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,316 Posts
    As was previously mentioned, super intense HIIT ON TOP of a really intense lifting regimen can lead you to overtraining. Im a cardio lover and really enjoy maxed out pulse rate HIIT but it beats me up pretty bad.

These days my cardio is usually putting the treadmill at the steepest angle it goes and walking at 3-3.5 mph for 20-30 mins after lifting.

Ill have two cardio only days every week to with longer workouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WDE1083 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Iím trying to build more lean muscle but need more fat burning at this point where Iím at. I spent years bulking and still remain largely built but at 35 and an impracticable reason to get much bigger I choose to incorporate it. A lot of peopleís goals are different. Makes sense you wouldnít want to waste time burning an ounce of a calorie if your choice is to get bigger.
    I think HIIT has its place if your looking to be conditioned and keep your athleticism there so for me I was a wrestler for years and I enjoy keeping my conditioning up but if your looking to build mass or strength but donít care if you can do sprints and this or that and be conditioned like and athlete then maybe not for you. If your looking to lean out then the focus should be on the diet and from there if your in a deficit then really the way you burn the calories does not matter a deficit will cause fat loss wether you burn the extra calories walking or doing sprints etc. but maybe if your looking to save time then ya a 20mins HIIT session will burn more calories quicker than say a jog or session on the stairmaster so could reach your calorie burn goal quicker so thereís a plus if youíd rather hit a intense 20mins session rather than a moderate 40 mins session etc
    but diet is key. If your diet and Macros are where they need to be then just make sure your training consistently and youíll be good
    thats my take on it

Thanks
    Iíve lost about 10 but need about 10 more. Itís just becoming harder to get it off. Iíve cleaned up my diet considerably, not that I was eating poorly, but it wasnít as ďcleanĒ as it couldíve been. Like today for lunch Iím eating classic grilled chicken, broccoli and brown rice with a little olive oil.

Thanks
    Right, I do HIIT because I still actively participate in athletics so I want to have lean mass. I had my days of lifting for massive size and strength, now my goal is to stay fit while maintaining very quality size. I wouldn’t mind packing on a little more lean muscle but honestly I want to get shredded and I know it’s diet that comes first. I’m just still struggling to get that extra few % of body fat off ya know?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 557 Posts
    There is solid science behind HIIT ... and there are 2 factor that need considering ... what are you goals .. if your and powerlifter this may be counterproductive to your goals ... however if your a normal person like the great majority of us here ... cardio and HIIT will bring a higher level of fitness and there is no question it is effective for burning fat ... you can lose fat through diet alone but in order to increase cardiovascular and overall fitness it's an excellent way to achieve that goal ... I do it 4 to 5 times per week ... I will also admin to not doing any cardio for many years .. since adding it my over fitness - stamina - and overall health has improved.
    HRT for life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12