Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

In Need of New Workouts!

New here, and below averagely experienced in the gym

18 y/o
    6'1
    167-170
    goal - 195

My buddy who convinced me to start lifting gave me these routines/workouts to go through, but I've learned that doing the same workouts week in and week out start to A) get boring and B) produce less gains. I was hoping that some more experienced lifters could critique this workouts and maybe provide some of their own that i should cycle through.
    Here are the workout (no specific order) Everything is 4x10 unless otherwise stated.
    Chest/Triceps
    Flat bench
    Incline bench
    Decline bench
    Cable flys
    Tricep dips (until failure)

Back/Biceps
    Triangle gripped rows
    Wide gripped rows
    T-bar rows
    Lat pull down wide gripped
    Triangle gripped lat pull downs
    Bent over rows
    Pull ups (until fail)

Legs
    Squats
    RDLs
    Leg extensions
    Hamstring curls
    Sumo deadlifts & squats

Shoulders
    Military press
    Shoulder shrugs
    Front raises
    Lateral raises
    Face pulls
    Seated shoulder press (burnout sets- start at a certain weight and do as many reps as possible, drop weight each set until failure)

Thanks in advance. Criticism is welcome, just trying to make gains!
    -Mikey

Thanks
    Thanked 9,566 Times in 4,262 Posts
    You don’t need to change anything. You gained 20lbs in 6 months, right? Stick with what you did then.

You need to eat. Newbie gains come with almost any program. Focus on diet.

Unrestrained Moderation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (01-09-2019),snake (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    It should be mentioned that I was 6'1, 145-150 and I ran track. So yes, I was extremely lean for my height, but anytime I tried to eat or lift, the track workouts would immediately destroy any gains I tried to make. So the initial 20 lbs I put on was really just a natural weight for me that I could never reach due to constant cardio (highschool track). On top of that, I've been blessed/cursed with the fastest metabolism anyone has ever seen. I eat something and I'll lose weight. Ridiculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 1,834 Posts
    I've been doing pretty much the exact same routine I the gym for half a decade. I make the progress I want to make every time. Jin is right. The answer lies mainly in your kitchen. There are also a lot of changes you can make with the same routine. Sets, reps, drop sets, supersets, order of doing things, amount of weight you use, etc.. ..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRICKS For This Useful Post:

snake (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKS View Post
    I've been doing pretty much the exact same routine I the gym for half a decade. I make the progress I want to make every time. Jin is right. The answer lies mainly in your kitchen. There are also a lot of changes you can make with the same routine. Sets, reps, drop sets, supersets, order of doing things, amount of weight you use, etc.. ..
    I'm familiar with supersets, but could you give me some info on drop sets?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,436 Times in 3,429 Posts
    The best thing of being a beginner with lifting weights is that it's gonna be one of the few times in your weight training life where you will lose fat, gain muscle and get stronger all at the same time. Well as you're now finding out 6 months into your training progress is starting to either slow down or stall altogether. What's happening here is your body has adapted to the stimulus over the last six months. Your motor skills have also improved during that time. IMO what I suggest you do now is focus on increasing your efficiency and progressive overload on your main lifts. Putting it in a nutshell, adding more weight to your squat, deadlift, and bench press will jumpstart your gains again. Bottom line....Eat big, lift big, get big. I'm sure you've heard that saying before. Build your program around those main lifts with the emphasis on getting stronger!
    "The weight teaches you"

Strength First.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

snake (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 1,834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mvare02 View Post
    I'm familiar with supersets, but could you give me some info on drop sets?
    Drop sets are where you do a set, take some weight off, continue the set, take some more weight off, continue the set. You can do it with barbells, dumbells, or machines

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    The best thing of being a beginner with lifting weights is that it's gonna be one of the few times in your weight training life where you will lose fat, gain muscle and get stronger all at the same time. Well as you're now finding out 6 months into your training progress is starting to either slow down or stall altogether. What's happening here is your body has adapted to the stimulus over the last six months. Your motor skills have also improved during that time. IMO what I suggest you do now is focus on increasing your efficiency and progressive overload on your main lifts. Putting it in a nutshell, adding more weight to your squat, deadlift, and bench press will jumpstart your gains again. Bottom line....Eat big, lift big, get big. I'm sure you've heard that saying before. Build your program around those main lifts with the emphasis on getting stronger!
    Should I be going for high weight/low reps or high reps/low weight for those specific workouts? Since I was in track all four years of highschool my squat/deadlift has always been pretty solid, bench not so much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKS View Post
    Drop sets are where you do a set, take some weight off, continue the set, take some more weight off, continue the set. You can do it with barbells, dumbells, or machines
    Okay, thank you very much brotha! Appreciate the information and help!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mvare02 For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    if you read the bio's on just about all of your favorite lifters you'll see that they all spent a fair amount of time in their beginning years on getting stronger and lifting big.
    "The weight teaches you"

Strength First.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mvare02 View Post
    Should I be going for high weight/low reps or high reps/low weight for those specific workouts? Since I was in track all four years of highschool my squat/deadlift has always been pretty solid, bench not so much.
    I would train those 3 main lifts like a powerlifter does. Heavy sets of 1-5 reps. Find your maxes on each lift and do sets within the 70-80% range. You can do a few lifts in the 85% range but not to many.
    "The weight teaches you"

Strength First.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Elivo (01-10-2019),snake (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    I would train those 3 main lifts like a powerlifter does. Heavy sets of 1-5 reps. Find your maxes on each lift and do sets within the 70-80% range. You can do a few lifts in the 85% range but not to many.
    Thank you very much for the advice! Appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast