Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Sudden Lower back pain during seated cable rows.

I'll try to explain this as good as i can. This evening it was my back day. Like normally i walk or do eliptical to warm up. Then i go to Seated cable row machine with Close V bar grip. I warm up light doing 20-25 reps. I warm up with like 5-6 sets then i slowly start moving going heavier.

Once i got to 130lbs 1 set 2nd rep i was pulling towards my body. Then i got huge pain left side lower back. Causing my left leg to fall off the stand and my left arm grip failing. The weights fell back making huge noise.

I sat for maybe a minute or two with this pain in my back. Then i decided i have to stand up and maybe go lay somewhere down. I stood up and tried to bend over to get my water bottle and wrist wraps. But i couldn't lean down far enough so i had to use a weird motion to get it.

now in my left buttcheek i have weird feeling and once i flex it. I feel this numbness/pain/feeling more.

I went to a doctor and apperantly this wasn't important enough so he told me to come back tomorrow.

Has anybody had this happen? I don't lean forward, i keep me knees slight bend and i lean maybe slightly back when pulling towards my body but it's maybe half an inch.

Super Moderator/Fierce Fighter jennerrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,964 Posts
    my opinion as I am a posture freak........lol

1. Let back relax or held it tight as fuuuck

2. Bad posture due to ......to much weight

I've seen some crazy shit at the gym how folks do these....plus we tend to use more weight than we can do the lift properly...normal but not good when it causes damage..
    DO FUUCKING WORK! STRENGTH FIRST BOSTON!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jennerrator View Post
    my opinion as I am a posture freak........lol

1. Let back relax or held it tight as fuuuck

2. Bad posture due to ......to much weight

I've seen some crazy shit at the gym how folks do these....plus we tend to use more weight than we can do the lift properly...normal but not good when it causes damage..
    130lbs isn't like much weight for me. Maybe tight rather than relaxed. Yeah me too but in row's i don't like to go heavy i wanna keep form good. Lighter weight with Correct technique ---> Moving heavy weight badly.

maybe my back was tight from work since i bend down a lot in my work and lift up stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DNp View Post
    130lbs isn't like much weight for me. Maybe tight rather than relaxed. Yeah me too but in row's i don't like to go heavy i wanna keep form good. Lighter weight with Correct technique ---> Moving heavy weight badly.

maybe my back was tight from work since i bend down a lot in my work and lift up stuff.
    If that's a light weight for you than...posture is most likely the fault...maybe a tad bit of stretching if work causes the tightness!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jennerrator For This Useful Post:

DNp (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 824 Posts
    Sounds like a typical muscle strain. I get one like that about once a year off to the side of my spine about halfway up the back. It's usually doing something like curls or shrugs. But when it happens I cant do much of anything for a few days without sharp stabbing pain. It's the nature of what we do

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

DNp (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,048 Times in 7,374 Posts
    Keep moving. Work the area very lightly
    Laying about like it's a death sentence isn't the solution. And don't wait. Start now. Movement is restorative !!!
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

DNp (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    If that's a light weight for you than...posture is most likely the fault...maybe a tad bit of stretching if work causes the tightness!
    My work can be tough sometimes.. especially on lower back. And me? I'm not much into stretching but i can see as i grow older that it's more important than i think. I'll have to do it more times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadawg View Post
    Sounds like a typical muscle strain. I get one like that about once a year off to the side of my spine about halfway up the back. It's usually doing something like curls or shrugs. But when it happens I cant do much of anything for a few days without sharp stabbing pain. It's the nature of what we do
    This is like my first time ever getting this pain. I've never tore or pulled a muscle. Guess i'm not going hard enough.

That sharp pain is exactly like i got. Even now bending over or something that involes leaning. I feel this pain.

Thanks
    My work can be tough sometimes.. especially on lower back. And me? I'm not much into stretching but i can see as i grow older that it's more important than i think. I'll have to do it more times.

I was not a stretcher until now...lol....so I get it! It's definitely a great thing to do...just gotta make the time!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jennerrator For This Useful Post:

DNp (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Keep moving. Work the area very lightly
    Laying about like it's a death sentence isn't the solution. And don't wait. Start now. Movement is restorative !!!
    Can't start the 2019 by bitching about pain!

I'll stretch the lower back tomorrow. Then do some light exercises and do foam rolling. Hopefully it goes away. But right now my back left lower back is killing me haha.

Thanks
    I was not a stretcher until now...lol....so I get it! It's definitely a great thing to do...just gotta make the time!!
    Yeah 15-20 minutes stretching goes along way! (Even 10minutes)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DNp For This Useful Post:

jennerrator (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 824 Posts
    This is like my first time ever getting this pain. I've never tore or pulled a muscle. Guess i'm not going hard enough.

That sharp pain is exactly like i got. Even now bending over or something that involes leaning. I feel this pain.
    Yep. Been there a pile of times. In a couple days youll sort of forget you have it except certain movements will suddenly take your breath away. Itll be all gone in a week or so

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

DNp (01-10-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast