Decline Bench to grow chest muscle

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will admit to never having done decline bench before this week. I watched a video of Darian Yates recently stating he believed that decline bench gave him a fuller and overall better pector development. How many of you have done decline bench as one of your staple chest exercise and what results have you gotten?

What over exercise(s) has been most responsible for your best pectoral development ... for whatever reason I've never had a particular strong flat of incline bench ... although I'm able to do over 70 pushups and I've also done dips regularly over the years.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Not a fan. Makes my shoulders hurt.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I do decline bench every week. most don't like the small range of motion. I got good lower pec development doing them. flat bench and incline along with decline has been my staple. I do dumbells in all 3 forms too. I also find dips seem to help lower chest some too.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Throw in decline bench once in a while but if I’m looking to get that type of contraction, the decline chest press machine does the trick.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can actually do decline while I can't touch incline, so I do it to make my workouts as complete as possible.

Reaction score
I’m gonna throw these in the mix for a while. My lower chest is not nearly as developed as my upper.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Throw in decline bench once in a while but if I’m looking to get that type of contraction, the decline chest press machine does the trick.

This for sure. Decline benches are not angled steep enough for me

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I hit them probably once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Camoninja

Reaction score
I do declined every week. I've noticed a difference, but like everyone else said it's a small range of motion. I also incorporate flate, inclined, db straight, db inclined, flies, and I attempt to get a set of straight and inclined push-ups if I can on chest day. I'm doing drop sets on everything and overall I do notice a difference.

Reaction score
I personally don't do declines because I don't like hanging upside down with a heavy weight over my head. I feel very vulnerable, and I don't like the feel of the blood rushing to my head.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I used to do them religiously when I was younger. (20s) Flat, incline, decline, flies. I remember I liked them, but for the life of me can not remember why.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hit decline machine only, i feel weird doing them barbell style. I do it once a week

New Threads