Forearm training

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
How many directly work forearms and what have you found to be your go to for them?

ive not been directly hitting them but have thought of doing some direct work a few times a week. Just like grabbing a few sets of something at the end of my workouts before cardio

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Dont use straps on the majority of your pulling exercises and do hammer and reverse grip curls. Really though, what makes for super impressive forearms is low bodyfat.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t use straps as long as I can hold the weight, once grip starts going I use them because I refuse to not lift heavy just due to grip slipping.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
never did direct forearm work. They get plenty during everyday training. I've always had pretty decent forearms without working them directly

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Dont use straps on the majority of your pulling exercises and do hammer and reverse grip curls. Really though, what makes for super impressive forearms is low bodyfat.

If you're doing back, work your back. You want to do forearms, do forearms. Straps were and still are a major contributor to my back development. There's a difference between hand strength and forearm size. My forearms are not the best and I do work them. That being said, with average forearms, I never dropped a DL because I lost my grip.

And yes, in a pose, shredded forearms look huge.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you're doing back, work your back. You want to do forearms, do forearms. Straps were and still are a major contributor to my back development. There's a difference between hand strength and forearm size. My forearms are not the best and I do work them. That being said, with average forearms, I never dropped a DL because I lost my grip.

And yes, in a pose, shredded forearms look huge.

Deadlifts are different but I have found that if you dont use straps for rows and other pulling exercises, you wont need them. I use them on a few of my heavier sets on back day but that's really because theyre usually the beginning of big drop sets.

For me, my grip strength caught up with my back very quickly when I dropped the straps and my forearms improved. Always been a lagging bodypart for me.

Also, if you can force yourself to do it, leave a hand exerciser in your car and twice a day pump that thing to failure with each hand. Forearms will be screaming. Veins come soon after

Grego

Reaction score
no straps when doing pulling exercises will grow your forearms

daddyboul

Reaction score
The thing that uncle manny posted will definitely make you feel a burn, I also really like regular wrist curls. From what I understand, arm wrestlers have pretty strong and massive forearms. Looking at what arm wrestlers do to train might be a good place to look.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ll throw underhand (supinated) barbell rows into the discussion... they hit the bottom of your forearms and give you a nice pump.

If that doesn’t work max out your AI and try jerkin’ it.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
I have never worked forearms directly, but wide grip straight bar curl always made them burn.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just remember to do hammer curls and reverse curls when you guys do forearm work to keep elbow pains at bay please.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Push ups and stress balls

New Threads