Most bang for your buck cardio?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Does your gym have an arc trainer???

like a cross between an elliptical and one of those ski type things...I guess.

anyway I’ve used them for cardio and they didn’t bother my knees at all.

turn the resistance up and it can kick your ass

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Is what? I can’t run, that’s out. Knees will not put up with it. The bike doesn’t ever seem like a good enough burn, the stepper kicks my ass. Rowing machine kicks my ass. What’s king for fat burn?

This is my shit:

https://www.fitnesssuperstore.com/C...TEUL4f9MeNgAnEru4IYmNFuG2zwQBFURoC5zAQAvD_BwE

according to the machine i burn 400 cals in 20 to 22 mins... just depends how fast i am going... sometimes i make it like a stepper but, for the most part i glide and it's less impact on my knee. it's ****ing work though maintaining a high speed for 20 mins

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
This is my shit:

https://www.fitnesssuperstore.com/C...TEUL4f9MeNgAnEru4IYmNFuG2zwQBFURoC5zAQAvD_BwE

according to the machine i burn 400 cals in 20 to 22 mins... just depends how fast i am going... sometimes i make it like a stepper but, for the most part i glide and it's less impact on my knee. it's ****ing work though maintaining a high speed for 20 mins

Maybe it's the calorie counters on all my equipment that are wrong but I dont see how that would be possible. I weight over 230 and even at 155 bpm pulse rate I wont be anywhere near 400 cals in 20 mins.

Reaction score
They have to be bs. Most machines don’t even have you enter your weight but somehow spits out a calorie burn number?

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe it's the calorie counters on all my equipment that are wrong but I dont see how that would be possible. I weight over 230 and even at 155 bpm pulse rate I wont be anywhere near 400 cals in 20 mins.

lol... i dont know.. it's my target. if i actually burn that much or not, just what i do.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ll go a different route... what workout actually makes me feel like I’m starving after?

Squats or leg press. Keep the weight lower and rep the crap out of it.

10x hungrier then after a good run. Pretty sure my body knows how to balance energy better then a metal pulse reader.

Might need to sacrifice a knee though.

Reaction score
I’ll go a different route... what workout actually makes me feel like I’m starving after?

10x hungrier then after a good run. Pretty sure my body knows how to balance energy better then a metal pulse reader.

Legs had me starving yesterday and back day did the same.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score

That doesnt have the same physiologic effect though.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Crossfit is your answer of course .......... NOT

Seriously my suggestion is to not overthink cardio but do it consistently .... like with workout splits do not do the same cardio workout every day .... I hit elliptical one day, treadmill the next, stair climber the day after, and 2 other cardio machines also .... I do 6 sets of HIIT each day ... but I'll be honest I do not over do it ... my goal is to get my heartrate up to 165 to 170 ... HIIT to me is 1 set of moderately high activity followed by 1 minute of much lower activity ... done 6 times ... I start out with 2 minute warmup and conclude with a 2 minutes cool down.

Since I've been doing this for about 8 months my blood pressure has dropped about 10 points ... and I can see my abs (a little - lol) ....

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol how does the saying go? people drive to gym to walk on a treadmill. Lol I'd rather watch paint dry. Dude flip some tires, drag a weighted sled, swing a sledge hammer, do some outdoor hill sprints. Do some Rocky shit.

I also cannot stand indoor cardio...I look forward to trying some new stuff that you listed above...problem is finding a place near me as Golds has none of that shit lol I just don’t want to pay 100.00 + a month for another gym:(

When it’s time, I’ll figure it out!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1) Buy floor length heavy bag
2) Vigorously attack said heavy bag via knees, elbows, punches and kicks in durations of 3 mins allowing 60 seconds in between to avoid death
3) Lather, rinse, repeat

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
True. One builds legs and burns calories while the other shrinks legs and burns calories.

And one makes sure you dont die. Beyond that, a big muscular body without cardio fitness is completely worthless.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
And one makes sure you dont die. Beyond that, a big muscular body without cardio fitness is completely worthless.

In all seriousness, I don’t mean regular heavy squats. I mean really reping out light weights.

If you alternate situps and 30-50 squats at 135 or less, you’re going to get a good cardio workout.

I run on a treadmill so I definitely agree with you but I’m willing to bet the squat method burns a lot more calories and raises your heart rate just as much.

The impact on breathing and max vo2 stuff certainly isn’t the same. I’ll give you that but it’s still worth playing around with.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I lost most of my weight swimming and a rowing machine. I mix it up between treadmill, elliptical or circuit work.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I lost most of my weight swimming and a rowing machine. I mix it up between treadmill, elliptical or circuit work.

No more swimming for you.

You'd sink like a rock with all the muscle you have currently!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
No more swimming for you.

You'd sink like a rock with all the muscle you have currently!

Jin almost drowned in the "nude males only contemplation pool"

November Ajax

Reaction score
Have you tried spinning or swimming maybe? I have shitty knees too and I tend to use both those things and they work great for me.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
lol how does the saying go? people drive to gym to walk on a treadmill. Lol I'd rather watch paint dry. Dude flip some tires, drag a weighted sled, swing a sledge hammer, do some outdoor hill sprints. Do some Rocky shit.

How long do you even push a sled or flip a tire for as a cardio work out

New Threads