Leg routines for individuals with back pain

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Need leg routine Ideas. Squats are unfortunately out of the question for me due to chronic back pain. Seeking some new ideas for good leg workouts that are easy on the lower back. Leg press and split squat are my compound lifts. Lunges are I the mix too but cannot go heavy on those without my lower back spasming

November Ajax

Reaction score
Are you talking about back squats? How about front squats? They are easier on the lower back.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Back pain from squats??

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Simple isolation work...Leg extension, abduction/addiction and hamstring curls.

Might not get you as strong but you’ll sure look pretty :)

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll do Belt squats or Bulgarian split squats when my back is acting up.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Are you talking about back squats? How about front squats? They are easier on the lower back.[/QUOTE

Havent tried those in forever
i never liked them but that’s acrually a good idea, I am gonna try them next leg day
thanks!

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I'll do Belt squats or Bulgarian split squats when my back is acting up.

Belt squats cause my back to act up surprisingly. Bulgarian split squats are real bad to. I cannot elevate that back leg and do split squat, it actually causes more pain than a back squat, now a split squat with both legs on the ground I can do.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Slant board.

Slant board? Are you talking about the little wooden platform that sits at about a 45 degree angle and you stand on that for squats? If so never tried those but don’t have a board at my gym but I can make one

daddyboul

Reaction score
Is it a problem with your spinal cord or just the lower muscles in your back? I use to not be able to do certain leg movements that would cause my lower back muscles to really flare up, and I found that increasing strength in my core really helped alleviate that pain as well as massaging the muscle. If its your spinal cord itself disregard what I just said completly, but I really like what Viduus said, I find those to really get the muscles going

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Bulgarian splits
Squat belt machine. If you dont have the machine. Just use a belt and stand on benches
Various leg extensions and curls.
Vertical leg press
Regular leg press
Lunges
Squat machine. Hack squat/reverse
Lots of stuff

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is it a problem with your spinal cord or just the lower muscles in your back? I use to not be able to do certain leg movements that would cause my lower back muscles to really flare up, and I found that increasing strength in my core really helped alleviate that pain as well as massaging the muscle. If its your spinal cord itself disregard what I just said completly, but I really like what Viduus said, I find those to really get the muscles going

Yeah, guess we should have asked......what the fuk is wrong with your back?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Hack squat machine?

If you find one that fits you, they’re great. Otherwise they’ll kill your knees.

I love doing hem John Meadows style now. Alternate full reps with half ups.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you find one that fits you, they’re great. Otherwise they’ll kill your knees.

lol....I’ve always hated hacks but I’m going to start them this coming weekend! I feel a tad bit more excited after watching Hurts!!

German89

Elite
Reaction score

the half reps are what kill my knee

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
The machine goes all the way down for a reason. Bottom that bitch out!

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have had back issues as long as I can remember. Hack squats kill my back, can't really do them.

For me, squats actually helped my back over time. I started with the bar and worked my way up, finding the right stance and range of motion is key. Have you tried body weight squats to get started? For me this was a life changer. When I started I could throw my back out bending over to kiss my baby girl goodbye, now with squatting I have enough strength to not have to worry about silly shit like that.

New Threads