Keto diet with success?

Reaction score
My workout partner does keto - but she has thyroid problems and it apparently helps with that. I ran it for about 3 months last fall and saw fairly decent results. Soon as I ate about 50g of carbs I looked much more "full" and forgot about the glory of eating bread and tortillas. I'll probably never run it again - I never felt all that great while running it as opposed to just a standard cut with the normal variation of macros. Strength plummeted too.

Interesting, as you are supposed to have an initial drop in performance until "adaptation"

You didn't see the strength losses return 6 weeks into it?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I was always told going into ketosis was a bad thing. Something to avoid. I have read that Larry Scott was keto and lived on steak, eggs, cheese and liver pills.

I can't say I wouldn't try it I have probably lived that way unintentionally in my Wilder days, but I am curious what it does to brain and nerve functions.

Hurakan

Reaction score
I was always told going into ketosis was a bad thing. Something to avoid. I have read that Larry Scott was keto and lived on steak, eggs, cheese and liver pills.

I can't say I wouldn't try it I have probably lived that way unintentionally in my Wilder days, but I am curious what it does to brain and nerve functions.

Are you talking maybe about ketoacidosis? That is a bad thing.

Hurakan

Reaction score
I used the keto diet a couple of years ago when I finally decided to get myself back in shape. I had been away from the boards for quite a few years and was working a lot and frankly just got lazy after blowing my shoulder out and having surgery. I must be an exception because it was a great experience for me...except maybe the first week getting used to the fats and a slight dose of the keto flu which was cured with pickle juice. Now I won't claim that I made any huge gains in muscle mass, probably more muscle memory from hitting the weights again. I didn't even notice that until about two months in when the fat had gone down a bit, but once it started it melted off quick. In that two months I went from 260 down to 225 and by the end of the third month I was at 198 and pretty ripped, but I was hitting the gym and cardio 6 days a week. I had energy to burn it seemed and my Doc was very impressed with my bloods and how much of a difference in the way I looked compared to where I was at a few months before. I probably could have just made some adjustments and stayed on keto when I was ready to start bulking again, but I just found it was easier and quicker to be on a normal diet with more carbs and protein. I still use keto here and there for cutting and may even try staying on it once I get a little more lean mass on me just because I feel so much better when I'm on it.

Oblivious

Reaction score
Well, Ill give you my perspective on keto diet, I used to be a FAT ass mf, 250 lbs, I did keto mixed with intermittent fasting (18 hours fast/6 hour eating window) for 67 days with 2 or 3 days in total for one break, I ate nothing buta tuna, chicken breast, or any kinda beef. I would eat lettuce and other leafy greens . dropped down all the way to 183 with the only workout being a 2 mile run split between jogging and sprinting thats all. But I couldn't gain muscles on it so eventually just got a normal diet.

Reactions: DNW

New Threads