Inclines

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
How many power lifters have tried it?

This would only make sense if someone was ignoring the necessary accessory movements for proper strength/muscle balance. Otherwise powerlifters would just train incline only.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I might get hammered for saying this, but due to many shoulder problems over the years I've used the Smith for my inclines for some time now. I still use the bb bench for flat, and still believe in some good 'ol declines. Full pec development is the goal here...right?

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I might get hammered for saying this, but due to many shoulder problems over the years I've used the Smith for my inclines for some time now. I still use the bb bench for flat, and still believe in some good 'ol declines. Full pec development is the goal here...right?

No hammering allowed. You do what works and if shoulder issues have you using the smith machine then go for it.
Im in the same boat with different exercises.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

Na stone, you're just adjusting to your limitations and being smart about it. I'm lucky to have been at this for a long time and short of an ache here and there, I have no shoulder problems. I also have been careful over the years to not overwork my shoulders. There is almost no exercise that doesn't engage the shoulders so it's easy for someone to unknowingly over work those muscles in a very unstable joint.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I doubt many have totally ignored flat bench press for any period of time and only used incline. So yes I am being serious
Let’s take a step back and be realistic here. This sport has been around for over a century. Top level competitors are constantly looking for an edge. There’s hardly a thing that hasn’t been tried.
To take all of that and then suggest that a random non-competing lifter from a random forum has found the holy grail of bench press strength is pretty silly.
Plus, don’t forget that I said people have to be doing the necessary accessory work. Which the top level guys are.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
So you haven’t tried it or know anyone that has tried it?? Exactly like I said I doubt any power lifter has. I am not from any forum this is the only one and I am not a power lifter never will be but it worked for me so why not someone else.
The wheel has been around for century’s so you saying we should of just stayed in a horse and cart and not bothered trying a car??

Let’s take a step back and be realistic here. This sport has been around for over a century. Top level competitors are constantly looking for an edge. There’s hardly a thing that hasn’t been tried.
To take all of that and then suggest that a random non-competing lifter from a random forum has found the holy grail of bench press strength is pretty silly.
Plus, don’t forget that I said people have to be doing the necessary accessory work. Which the top level guys are.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
So you haven’t tried it or know anyone that has tried it?? Exactly like I said I doubt any power lifter has. I am not from any forum this is the only one and I am not a power lifter never will be but it worked for me so why not someone else.
The wheel has been around for century’s so you saying we should of just stayed in a horse and cart and not bothered trying a car??
Well cars have wheels, so I’m not sure wtf you’re trying to say lol.
I don’t HAVE to try something to know if it works or not.
I dont know how to put it any more simple. If it worked for you, it’s because you were neglecting your accessory movements. Stop interchanging correlation and causation. You didn’t get stronger BECAUSE you stopped benching. You got stronger because you brought the supporting muscles up to speed. Which wouldn’t have been necessary if you were hitting them afterwords or on off days.

I don’t think its intentional but youre coming off as having one hell of an ego bud. You didn’t find some bench magic. It doesn’t work like that.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I never stopped benching I just stopped flat benching and did incline bench instead. I have no ego at all I don’t try and powerlift or lift heavy regular. But your bench has gone up 4lb in 2 years according to your log that’s about a 1% increase yet your the expert to just shoot me down because I am new to all this. You don’t HAVE to try what I say because you already know it doesn’t work but maybe you should try something new.

I dont know how to put it any more simple. If it worked for you, it’s because you were neglecting your accessory movements. Stop interchanging correlation and causation. You didn’t get stronger BECAUSE you stopped benching. You got stronger because you brought the supporting muscles up to speed. Which wouldn’t have been necessary if you were hitting them afterwords or on off days.

I don’t think its intentional but youre coming off as having one hell of an ego bud. You didn’t find some bench magic. It doesn’t work like that.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

Let me put this to rest you guys.

Trump, this is coming from someone not only started the thread, been around for a few years and competed in both PL & BB. I'm not boasting but in my experience, Tool is right about the bench from a strength standpoint. Guys here have heard me say more then once, just doing squats gave me a decent squat, not leg presses or leg extensions or leg curls or hack squats or..... hopping on one foot for 5 min. You want a good lift, you need to do that lift with all your heart and soul.

Now as for overall chest development and size we need to really hit things at all angles.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Its done from me, it’s to rest

Let me put this to rest you guys.

Trump, this is coming from someone not only started the thread, been around for a few years and competed in both PL & BB. I'm not boasting but in my experience, Tool is right about the bench from a strength standpoint. Guys here have heard me say more then once, just doing squats gave me a decent squat, not leg presses or leg extensions or leg curls or hack squats or..... hopping on one foot for 5 min. You want a good lift, you need to do that lift with all your heart and soul.

Now as for overall chest development and size we need to really hit things at all angles.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The greatest bench gains I ever made happened once I stripped away EVERYTHING and stuck to flat bench press.

My goal is 200lb DBs for reps on flat bench. 8 weeks ago, I got serious again after my minor pec tear in May/June. Started with 75s for 2 reps. Now, 8 weeks later, I'm at 130s for 10 (moving to 135s next week).

If you want to be the best at something, do that "thing" exclusively for years. Years ago, I dumped inclines, declines, machines, and anything else used to increase bench press numbers. I traded all that in for more sets, reps, and weight. My bench closed in at 380 before I quit the gym.

So inclines before flat? Nope! Flat bench only, 1-2x a week. Also, the ONE lift besides flat benching that increases my bench is Lying DB Exfensions, with the rep range of 2-5 reps.

I'm at 130s for 10 due to only flat benching+strength focused lying DB Extensions.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The greatest bench gains I ever made happened once I stripped away EVERYTHING and stuck to flat bench press.

My goal is 200lb DBs for reps on flat bench. 8 weeks ago, I got serious again after my minor pec tear in May/June. Started with 75s for 2 reps. Now, 8 weeks later, I'm at 130s for 10 (moving to 135s next week).

If you want to be the best at something, do that "thing" exclusively for years. Years ago, I dumped inclines, declines, machines, and anything else used to increase bench press numbers. I traded all that in for more sets, reps, and weight. My bench closed in at 380 before I quit the gym.

So inclines before flat? Nope! Flat bench only, 1-2x a week. Also, the ONE lift besides flat benching that increases my bench is Lying DB Exfensions, with the rep range of 2-5 reps.

I'm at 130s for 10 due to only flat benching+strength focused lying DB Extensions.

ughh the topic of this thread is pec development. Not taking anything away from Tool and Trumps dialogue, but you're going off topic.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I notice more size gains in my chest when focusing on incline movements, also notice it in the front delts too. I personally cannot do incline fly’s cables or dB as it tears my shoulders up. But when I hit a plateau in either strength or size I will do incline work first in my workout and focus max effort on that, it tends to help me out. I’ve notice a more fuller chest when doing more incline work.

New Threads