Inclines

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Incline bench has always been done after flat bench for me for decades. Last 6+ months I have been super setting flat with cables. The other day I tried inclines with the cable cross overs; jury is still out.

DF has been pushing the inclines over flat to me from some time now. I just figured he's ruined his shoulder and now he's looking for another victim. lol I will say I did feel it the next day in my shoulders and tris more then I normally do, I just hope it's not at the cost of pec development.

So what's everyone's take on inclines before bench? Power lifters need not reply.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
always did inclines before flat bench. pecs always got plenty of work from doing incline.. I never looked at flat bench as a pec developer but more of a upper mass addition. For pec development would consider using dumbell flat bench work instead of barbell bench.So it was usually incline, flat dumbbells, then dips. Switched it up occasionally of course

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
always did inclines before flat bench. pecs always got plenty of work from doing incline.. I never looked at flat bench as a pec developer but more of a upper mass addition. For pec development would consider using dumbell flat bench work instead of barbell bench.So it was usually incline, flat dumbbells, then dips.

Agree.....

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
The **** is an incline? What federation?

Reactions: DF

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I switched to incline first idk how long ago. I know this works better for me than a flat as far as development of chest/shoulders & strength. My rotation is incline, (incline fly or cables or pec deck) then flat DB's.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
If you want to increase your flat bench weight totally ignore it and only do incline for 6 week. I will guarantee that when you go back to flat bench it will be significantly higher

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just added decline to my routine last week but like snake I have always started with flat bench then incline .... I was watching a video here the other day saying doing slight incline or slight decline seemed to do the trick for Dorian Yates pec dev which was awesome!

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I also always do flat before incline. I’m not a huge fan of incline bb so it was normally flat bench, incline db or machine

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've had a weak chest development wise. Always have prioritized inclines and its paid off for me. Never was into barbell benching, flat or incline. Dumbells and hammer strength machine. And a shitload of heavy incline flys. Agree with Seeker.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Any chance I will get some size out of this?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
the standard issue single positiin incline is too erect & bothers my sholder.

on a multi position incline i will just go up one notch

This. And it's been proven using medical instruments that I dont understand that a 30 degree incline is the best for pec engagement. When doing barbell on a standard incline, I put a plate under the base below the seat to decrease the angle some. 45 degrees is much too steep.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Love some incline dB presses but only one notch above flat works best for me. With a barbell I keep it fairly light and bring the bar 2 inches shy of all the way down on my upper chest, kinda like a guillotine press. I feel this barbell path hits the upper chest best as opposed to all the way down a bit lower on the chest. Much different approach than compared to flat bench.

Last edited:

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
If you want to increase your flat bench weight totally ignore it and only do incline for 6 week. I will guarantee that when you go back to flat bench it will be significantly higher
This would only make sense if someone was ignoring the necessary accessory movements for proper strength/muscle balance. Otherwise powerlifters would just train incline only.

New Threads