Why?! Direct Wrist Flexor Training

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know everyone rather make fun of me, versus having a fun discussion on the benefits of direct work and what results you all have had from direct work (even getting segues into ither body parts).

Regardless, give those 3 exercises a try guys! Who doesn't want massive strength and big forearms that women love to see on a man!

i wasn’t making fun of you HS - just presenting evidence contrary to your thesis. I don’t think it’s dumb advice to tell people to train without straps in order to build their grip strength, and that happens to be all the forearm work I need.

I’m fully aware that many people may need direct forearm training - I simply said I don’t...then you took it upon yourself to go into an unsolicited critique of my forearms - so of course I’m going to respond to that.

if your objective here is truly to provide value, keep it up...but when evidence is presented contrary to something you’re asserting, you can’t get offended and butthurt...that eliminates any possibility of open discourse.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I really do have giant big toes. But I was just trying to be funny.

I really am going to throw some forearm stuff in the mix bc 1) you reminded me of this and 2) gnarled forearms are badass!

My grip is pretty solid bc I hardly use straps for back day and go heavy as I can but Id like a little more muscularity.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Post a video!! And make it a $15 Applebee’s card ;)

I saw his. he picked that bar up like broomstick. I wont give away how long he held it. lol

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i wasn’t making fun of you HS - just presenting evidence contrary to your thesis. I don’t think it’s dumb advice to tell people to train without straps in order to build their grip strength, and that happens to be all the forearm work I need.

I’m fully aware that many people may need direct forearm training - I simply said I don’t...then you took it upon yourself to go into an unsolicited critique of my forearms - so of course I’m going to respond to that.

if your objective here is truly to provide value, keep it up...but when evidence is presented contrary to something you’re asserting, you can’t get offended and butthurt...that eliminates any possibility of open discourse.

Not you!! Haha, I meant others. Shoulda specified.

Straps are another crutch i didn't think about. I have NEVER used them in my life, nor even know how! Why eould anyone use them except for world records??

Does no one feel like a weak pussy if you use them?? Asking because I would lol

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well it's just as important as short or long hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also, Hurt:

The only reason I mentioned your pic is because you did what everybody and their momma does, ad nauseum-say "I don't hit firearms and they're big", and support the claims with pics of mediocre forearms/developed brachioradialis.

You did not have mediocre forearms, but all I could see was a great brachio. I thought it was the same old BS again. It wasn't!

Everyone is used to me here since 2012 at being poor in word selection for sparing feelings. I am very blunt, avrasive, and to the point; many feelings get hurt. I got one guy here that will not even stay in a thread with me. Forgot his name.

Like my wrist strap use comment. No one is being called a pussy; I just wanna know if anyone wouls feel like a weak ass if they were to use 'em.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Straps have their place in strength training.

Why is this thread still going?

Because everyone treats wrist flexors like the red headed stepchild.

Then tell people to do hammer curls or rope twists to get forearms like Lee Priest, but deadlifts are good enough for big forearms.

THE SHIT MUST END!!

Well, less competition for me.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t care for the “don’t use straps” advice when it comes to forarms in general, I am not going to not lift heavy because I can’t hold the weight when I can use straps and move the weight then.
ive been tossing around the idea of getting direct wf work in myself.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't, I train every arm day

I unfriend you!

For the record, I hit them because they are a muscle though mine are shit. Poor genetics there, is what it is but not a reason to neglect them.

El Gringo

Reaction score
forearms are like calves. its all genetics. no need to train them directly, they'll get the work they need indirectly from pulling movements and bicep exercises.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
forearms are like calves. Its all genetics. No need to train them directly, they'll get the work they need indirectly from pulling movements and bicep exercises.

THIS IS THE BULLSHIT I MADE THIS THREAD FOR!

FOREARMS WILL NOT GET ENOUGH "WORK" FROM INDIRECT TRAINING
!

Gringo, if that's true:
Where's all the Strongman/Bodybuilders/Powerlifters with forearms like Lee Priest, Frank McGrath, Jason Huh, et al??

They all indirectly train forearms. Oh wait! Your theory is obviously false; too bad evidence doesn't support you!

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
THIS IS THE BULLSHIT I MADE THIS THREAD FOR!

FOREARMS WILL NOT GET ENOUGH "WORK" FROM INDIRECT TRAINING
!

Gringo, if that's true:
Where's all the Strongman/Bodybuilders/Powerlifters with forearms like Lee Priest, Frank McGrath, Jason Huh, et al??

They all indirectly train forearms. Oh wait! Your theory is obviously false; too bad evidence doesn't support you!

the only time my forearms ever really popped off the hook ( got massive )

one cycle I did wrist curls forward & reverse supersets

followed by forward & revers bicep curls twice a week

in combination with daily squeeze grips by the hundreds

If youre not bombing the fukk out of um they arent gunna pop off in my experience

they are too much of an endurance muscle

also look at an auto mechanics forearms because of the consistantly badgering

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I don’t care for the “don’t use straps” advice when it comes to forarms in general, I am not going to not lift heavy because I can’t hold the weight when I can use straps and move the weight then.
ive been tossing around the idea of getting direct wf work in myself.

Basically you start by only using straps for your heaviest sets. As your grip strength increases, you use them even less. As primates, a strong grip is very important so it builds up incredibly fast.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
Do you get pissed that you have a shorter wrist flexor insertion? I would be livid!

No not at all, I love the way my arms are built. If I could only develop my upper chest I'd be mint.....lmao

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
I do a few sets of wrist curls with a barbell every time I train bis/Tris. Few sets with palm down and a few sets with palm up or behind my back, that seems to get the job done. My right arm had extensive reconstructive surgery with plates and screws so aside from the horrendous scars, my wrist flexor seems to be attached closer to my elbow on my right arm.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No not at all, I love the way my arms are built. If I could only develop my upper chest I'd be mint.....lmao

I guess I never finished typing-

I actually don't think they're shorter after looking for a second

So, excuse me as I pull this foot out of my mouth

Reaction score
I do a few sets of wrist curls with a barbell every time I train bis/Tris. Few sets with palm down and a few sets with palm up or behind my back, that seems to get the job done. My right arm had extensive reconstructive surgery with plates and screws so aside from the horrendous scars, my wrist flexor seems to be attached closer to my elbow on my right arm.
they look just fine sir

New Threads