Why lift equipped?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why this even exists. Why the **** would I care how much your shirt can bench press? Fill me in powerlifters.

Last edited by a moderator:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a different sport. Think of it like drag racing. Raw lifting is street cars, Raw w/ wraps is slicks, and multi-ply is funny cars.

Lifting in gear is hard and using gear is a sport in and of itself. If you lose the groove at all in gear - you're in for a world of hurt. Raw lifting is much more forgiving technique wise.

That said, I'm still a much bigger fan of raw lifting.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Agreed. Competition is not just lifting heavy weight with buddies. It’s a lifetime(or years) if learning,training,goal setting, and involves all kinds of additions. A 1 lb gain can take takes months but it can mean beating a WR.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Because it’s awesome to say you bench 1,000 pounds.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
They don't compete against raw lifters. And until you put a shirt on and try and bench with it, don't talk shit. It's hard af.

I thought you were going to die multiple (or is it multi-ply) times when you were benching in the jean jacket shirt with the Metallica patch on it lmao

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Because it’s awesome to say you bench 1,000 pounds.
I personally know the first guy to do just that. Just holding that kind of weight is bone crushing. I was in awe watching someone in my weight and age class bench almost 100 lbs more then me at a meet. This 1010 lb bencher put his arm around me and said, "You'd crush that with a shirt, no problem"

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally know the first guy to do just that. Just holding that kind of weight is bone crushing. I was in awe watching someone in my weight and age class bench almost 100 lbs more then me at a meet. This 1010 lb bencher put his arm around me and said, "You'd crush that with a shirt, no problem"

Me too. And we both know he has neurological damage from doing it lol...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why this even exists. Why the **** would I care how much your shirt can bench press? Fill me in powerlifters.

It's not for everyone G. There are even divisions within that division. Single-ply, Double-ply, I think they may even have a Double-ply denim. I tried a single ply shirt and found it's not for me. Shirts seem to favor guys with strong triceps. If you have lockout problems, the shirt, even with a wide grip is not going to do much.

If you commit to equipped competitions, you will probably go all in. That includes not only a bench shirt but a power/ squatting suit, dead lifting suit, erector shirt and grooved briefs. The question is when does it end and how much is really you?

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
wut

10char.

Mostly a joke, but some older fashioned bench shirts were made from denim. Pillar started playing around with one that was kicking around our gym. After a few sessions when he started adding stupid weight to the bar, he lost the groove a few times and had some scary near death experiences lmao. I've never been so scared spotting someone haha.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going to die multiple (or is it multi-ply) times when you were benching in the jean jacket shirt with the Metallica patch on it lmao

That denim shirt had zero forgiveness. What's ****ed up is the closer I came to eating the bar the more I wanted to do it!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
They don't compete against raw lifters. And until you put a shirt on and try and bench with it, don't talk shit. It's hard af.

That's why I asked. The SPF that I plan to compete in has a category for bench pressing with Mark Bell's slingshot. Other than him being a sponsor, I just dont understand why that's a thing.

My initial post reads as more inflammatory than I meant it to be. That's just my nature. Lol

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Equipped lifting is something you can’t really understand until you’ve tried it or at least trained with some guys that use it for a while. It really is like a whole different sport.
Im a big fan of raw lifters using equipment for overload training. I used to have a single ply squat suit I used every couple weeks. Helped me break out of a plateau. The highest I ever went with it was 765.
It really makes your normal raw weight unracks a lot less scary.

Reaction score
That's why I asked. The SPF that I plan to compete in has a category for bench pressing with Mark Bell's slingshot. Other than him being a sponsor, I just dont understand why that's a thing.

My initial post reads as more inflammatory than I meant it to be. That's just my nature. Lol
Interesting. They’re actually competing using the slingshot? When I’m not broken anymore I’m going to use mine a whole lot more

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Interesting. They’re actually competing using the slingshot? When I’m not broken anymore I’m going to use mine a whole lot more

Yes.

What do you like about it 30? The only people I ever see using them just do so bc they want to put a bunch of weight on the bar. But I dont lift st a powerlifting gym

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
The other night I saw this clown, he had a bench shirt, sling shot and made sure his belt was on tight... on the decline bench... bouncing 2 plates off his big belly. Dude was all geared up. I was just there laughing found it pretty damn funny.

New Threads