Hook grip or over under with little time to prepare?

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do to increase grip strength? Do you specifically train grip on some days? I definitely need some help in this area.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
What do you guys do to increase grip strength? Do you specifically train grip on some days? I definitely need some help in this area.
I pull double overhand until I physically cannot complete the lift without grip failure, THEN I use straps for reps or hook grip for singles/doubles. That’s the only grip training I do.
While I probably had a head start genetically when it comes to grip, combined with years of wrestling, training this way took it much farther.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I pull double overhand until I physically cannot complete the lift without grip failure, THEN I use straps for reps or hook grip for singles/doubles. That’s the only grip training I do.
While I probably had a head start genetically when it comes to grip, combined with years of wrestling, training this way took it much farther.
Fair enough, I'm working the grip in my right hand back up after this tendinitis bout. Seems to be progressing, but its a slow process.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Hook grip. It puts less strain on the biceps tendon (on the supinated hand) as well as both shoulders are in proper alignment (supinated hand has the shoulder out in front a bit). Does it hurt... sure but don't be a baby. Start hooking on the lighter sets to begin with and don't hook for many reps. I don't hook for anything over a triple. You can tape your thumb to make it a bit easier on you and really work on wrapping that thumb across and getting your forefinger, middle finger, and ring finger over the thumb.

When in doubt break out some nose tort and you'll be good to go...

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
double over hand till i cant then mix grip for working sets.
straps if im doing any other barbel work after deadlifts.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I used to hate on straps. These days at the point my grip is breaking down, I just get out the straps and continue to squeeze like they aren't there.

I can hook grip and use my meat straps, but why do I need to do that? Stroke my ego? I'll do a little work with hook grip just to keep it within my ability but I'm done abusing my thumbs twice a week for no reason.

Reactions: CJ

dirtys1x

Reaction score
Over under works great for me pulling anything above 495 as long as I’m chalked up good. I never liked straps anyway because if either hand has uneven slack then it messes up my entire pull. Getting even tightness was never something I wanted to take time with so I just never did it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I used to hate on straps. These days at the point my grip is breaking down, I just get out the straps and continue to squeeze like they aren't there.

I can hook grip and use my meat straps, but why do I need to do that? Stroke my ego? I'll do a little work with hook grip just to keep it within my ability but I'm done abusing my thumbs twice a week for no reason.
You use the hook grip b/c it's mechanically superior to the mixed grip (look at the shoulder position of the supinated hand) as well as bein a safer option with less risk of injury (tearing the biceps tendon).

But than again if you're not a PLer who care and just use straps with a double over grip.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
For everyone talking about grip strength....perform some weighted carries and watch your grip greatly improve. They don't even have to be very heavy. Instead, go for time.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
For everyone talking about grip strength....perform some weighted carries and watch your grip greatly improve. They don't even have to be very heavy. Instead, go for time.
I can confirm this. I started weighted carries 3 weeks ago; mostly to help forearm growth, and my grip strength shot up fast over a short period.

Last edited:

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You use the hook grip b/c it's mechanically superior to the mixed grip (look at the shoulder position of the supinated hand) as well as bein a safer option with less risk of injury (tearing the biceps tendon).

But than again if you're not a PLer who care and just use straps with a double over grip.
I never used mixed grip. I wouldn't really use hook in training often even if I was competing. I only use it rarely now but it's never failing me. Since not using it all the time it's far less painful when I do.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I never used mixed grip. I wouldn't really use hook in training often even if I was competing. I only use it rarely now but it's never failing me. Since not using it all the time it's far less painful when I do.
I use it when I'm pulling single's to sets of 4. I won't use it for higher reps.

Steeeve

Reaction score
Worth noting hookgrip is less a function of strength as it is leverage. Set it low in your hands and let the weight lever your thumb into place. Ive hooked into the high 500s with no issue. Never dropped a bar. If you do it right, it shouldnt hurt badly. The debilitating thumb pain people describe and experience is from taking the bar high in the hand. When they initiate the bar rills lower into their fingers and takes their thumb along for the rotational journey. Took me one session to use effectively. Big part of it is not rushing the set up. I only use it for singles, and even then only for my last 2 or 3.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I like figure-8 straps for almost every pulling movement.
that being said hook grip is by far the best option, but crazy painful at higher weights.

Ive hooked and mixed gripped 6 plates and hook feels more solid, however its painful enough to just do mixed until my grip fails. Currently i can grip anything i can lift with straps, straps just make it more comfortable.

So if grip strength is an issue, IE you simply dont have the strength to mixed grip the weight, then learn how to hook grip. If your grip strength is good enough, just save your thumbs some punishment and mix grip.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I have short thumbs and can’t use hook method. Mixed grip all day baby. The straps are somewhere in my basement.

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Straps for me. I abused my hands enough for one life, and my only competition is with the bar. It doesn't care if I cheat : )

New Threads