Rice and protein?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
There are times in the day when it is more beneficial to eat white or brown rice.

Brown rice is a whole kernel, has a few more micronutrients, and takes longer to break down. White rice is stripped down a little bit and is a strait punch of carbs.

So you wake up in the morning, or just get done in the gym. Hit the white rice for instant recovery. If you are done with your day, sleeping soon. Go for the brown to be slowly digested.

Same ideals as using a protein isolate powder vs casein protein. Instant vs Slow breakdown.

Can you provide a link supporting your statement?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
There are times in the day when it is more beneficial to eat white or brown rice.

Brown rice is a whole kernel, has a few more micronutrients, and takes longer to break down. White rice is stripped down a little bit and is a strait punch of carbs.

So you wake up in the morning, or just get done in the gym. Hit the white rice for instant recovery. If you are done with your day, sleeping soon. Go for the brown to be slowly digested.

Same ideals as using a protein isolate powder vs casein protein. Instant vs Slow breakdown.

But if you're eating it as part of a mixed foods meal, as we usually tend to do, then the glycemic index of the rice becomes almost irrelevant. The addition of fats, proteins, and fiber would significantly slow down the digestion of the rice, making white vs brown just a preference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ill have to research that. I know that proven is the best rice is sprouted rice. Similar to why Ezekial Bread is preferred because its made from a sprouted grain. The soaking/sprouting process breaks down the kernel and makes it easier on your gut to digest.

Reaction score

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Try to find peer reviewed scientific studies with empirical evidence.

This review is is highly biased with zero hard data.

Her use of the phrase “highly processed” is inaccurate and misleading. A Twinkie is highly processed. Taking the bran off of rice doesn’t qualify in my book:)

I don’t know much but I do live on a rice farm.

Based on her reasoning you could just have a serving of fiber with any carb meal and that would have the same benefit as eating a food with more fiber.

“White rice has no nutritional value” is also misleading. Has the author forgotten. Macronutrients? Another reason why this reads highly biased.

Unless you are specifically deficient in the micronutrients that Brown rice provides I still think it’s best to eat whichever you prefer. If brown rice isn’t as appetizing, then eat it on a cut.

Have trouble hitting your macros on a bulk? I would probably eat white rice over brown.

I absolutely had the same thinking as your current thinking but have since drawn a different conclusion.

Thanks for doing some legwork. I’m totally open to being wrong. If you can find compelling evidence then I’m all ears!

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting that a diet high in brown rice does increase one's exposure to arsenic. In reasonable amounts, brown rice is pretty much harmless. However, if you're on of those dudes who's eating 4-6 cups of the stuff during a bulk, you may want to do some research into the risks of arsenic exposure over the long term. Here's a start:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5735331/

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
For me, it's about finding foods that my body processes and digests efficiently... That means white rice (slightly). My personal preference is basmatti because it has a little bit more protein than other rice. And it tastes damn good. Also, for flavor, I add bone broth, which has lots of added nutritional value, and increases ease of digestion. My thing is: eat what I'm good at digesting so I can process it as quickly as possible and be hungry for my next meal sooner.