Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Straps???

Thanks

Wrist Straps???

Yesterday I noticed during deadlifts, that the bar likes to slip a little from my palm to my fimgertips whenever I go over 305 and the shit hurts my fingers. It also happens whenever I go over 100 on dumbell rows, and I'm tired of using handtowels to wrap around the bar to help my slipping grip. Are any of you guys using wrist straps? And if so, where would you guys recommend going to grab a set? I've been looking at prowriststraps and it seems to have some good shit around those parts.
    The test of a man's character is what it takes to stop him.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,793 Posts

Re: Wrist Straps???

I used to only use them on heavy lifts, but since I have tennis elbow which effects my grip I have to use them more.... I say use them on your lifts that you feel like your grip is slipping.

Thanks

Try doing a thumb hook grip. It hurts like hell at the beginning but ull get used to it. I can pull bout 520 with this grip and no straps. I do use straps religiously for my back workouts tho. It completely eliminates the biceps from lat pulldowns, pull ups, rows and all that.
    US Goverment Policy: If It Ain't Broken, Fix It Till It Is.

Thanks

I do sometimes but I like to work on my grip other than use the straps, but they do help bro.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,093 Times in 7,788 Posts
    Straps are a hindrance. This shit is suppose to be hard. I ditched my straps a while ago and I am a better man for it.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Lulu66 View Post
    Try doing a thumb hook grip. It hurts like hell at the beginning but ull get used to it. I can pull bout 520 with this grip and no straps. I do use straps religiously for my back workouts tho. It completely eliminates the biceps from lat pulldowns, pull ups, rows and all that.
    Excellent advices Lulu!

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Straps are a hindrance. This shit is suppose to be hard. I ditched my straps a while ago and I am a better man for it.
    I know I'm glad u did it doesn't feel as good when your lifting my cock. Much much better without straps.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    I know I'm glad u did it doesn't feel as good when your lifting my cock. Much much better without straps.
    Yeah no more rope burns too... Now If we could only solve the teeth issue...

Thanks

I really try not to use straps at all, I'd rather have to stop once in a while bc of my grip than give up on it completely on heavy lifts, but that's just me. For pure bodybuilding lifting they're definitely useful. I have a pair I got at the local sporting goods store for like 8 bucks, they work great, I use them occasionally for long sets of deadlifts if I wanna do longer negatives or something. I've had several pairs in my day and none have really been bad. For me, a mixed grip allows me to deadlift more weight for more reps than an unmixed grip, but I have heard that at really really heavy weights a mixed grip can cause bicep tears.

Thanks

i love my straps... i broke two of my fingers so my grip sucks
    Wolves don't loose sleepover opinions of sheep

Thanks

I don't use em. Never have. If your grips slipping its because you don't have grip strength. Something wrists straps definitely won't help you build. Just with every lift grip the bar as hard as possible, bench, dumbells, anything and everything. Your grip strength will improve and so will your forearms.

Thanks

I used to give my buddies endless amounts of shit for using straps. No question working on grip strength is half the battle and IMO straps are a cheat. Wadda ya know I got tendonitis in my hands and now im forced to use straps. Sometimes its so bad I cant even open a bottle of water. Ive grown to like them though. I can lift heavier and gain extra reps in some cases cause no issue with grip giving out. Now nothing is right with wearing gloves ha. ****in sallys. This doesnt include girls. Dont like girls witg caluses.

Georgia

Get straps. If you can't go any heavier because it is slipping...dont be a retard and wait for your forearms to play catch up...get you some good straps to help keep pushing that lower back or upper back stronger and bigger (just an example)....but don't slouch on your forearm exercises.

Get you a good pair. I see guys using them all the time. Whether they are pushing big #'s or not it doesn't matter. You want to have a firm/solid grip on that bar when you are moving it...that is the whole point

Thanks
    Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Infantry87 View Post
    Yesterday I noticed during deadlifts, that the bar likes to slip a little from my palm to my fimgertips whenever I go over 305 and the shit hurts my fingers. It also happens whenever I go over 100 on dumbell rows, and I'm tired of using handtowels to wrap around the bar to help my slipping grip. Are any of you guys using wrist straps? And if so, where would you guys recommend going to grab a set? I've been looking at prowriststraps and it seems to have some good shit around those parts.
    If your bars have no nurl straps is a must but on good Powerlifting Bars the are not needed but still used to do very heavy reps.

I'd say use them as I'm betting the bars you use suck with crap for nurls if your at a commercial gym.
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    Yeah but now that your a Powerlifter and you want your deadlift to go higher you'll go buy new straps!

You can rep out more reps with max weight!

Just don't be a pussy with them and use them for everything and light lifts, but never neglect your 1 rep strapless max.

For me I don't need straps for a heavier 1 rep I use the while doing heavy reps and barbell rows and at times for machince rows and pulls / chins,

I once say an idiot use them to bench and wondered how long it would take to break his wrists!

Thanks

If a person needs to work on their grip all them grip things are worthless for barbells what you need to do to get a better grip if needed if lift heavy as possible and hold it as long as you can until it wants to fall.

I have not ever needed to get a better grip but some teammates I had did they had small pudgy hands and nothing works but picking up heavy weight and holding it.

What IMO is best for deadlifts is to set up reverse bands to help you get an extra 50 plus pounds on your pull and just hol it at the top until starts to fall.

Thanks

I can't believe I read all those replies and not one mention of chalk.....

CHALK CHALK CHALK FTW!!!!!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Gstacker View Post
    I can't believe I read all those replies and not one mention of chalk.....

CHALK CHALK CHALK FTW!!!!!
    That is because it's talk of use of straps, one that don't use chalk when straps are off needs a head examining!

Chalk is best but for heavy reps that will allow an overload meaning more weight then you normally can handle straps are what gets it done.

Georgia

Commercial gyms frown on the mess that chalk makes. Planet Fitness will lump alarm your ass

Thanks

Originally Posted by SFGiants View Post
    That is because it's talk of use of straps, one that don't use chalk when straps are off needs a head examining!

Chalk is best but for heavy reps that will allow an overload meaning more weight then you normally can handle straps are what gets it done.
    That's fine and dandy but if ur skipping the chalk n goin str8 to straps pfffffffffff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast