Are my ratios effed up?

November Ajax

Reaction score
I take each big lift separate and do not pay any attention to how much it is of a diff lift.

Its never once crossed my kind that my bench is a certain percentage of my squat or dead lift.
I only payed attention to it because my bench is higher than my squat and everyone I see on YouTube is the other way around. I think over time it'll fix itself as long as I don't skip leg day.
Hell yea-being happy is what everything is about.
I thought it was about being the biggest dude in the room.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey listen bro if your goal is to have this ratio then **** it go for it.

Everyone here is just saying it's kinda pointless is all.

A lot of your best lifts is genetic bit for realz how much you like doing it.

I ****ing hate bench. Mine was absolute dog shit. Because I didn't care.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I could absolutely care less how much I can lift. I just care about how big I am. Some of it corresponds, but honestly there are waaaaay smaller dudes out there lifting a shit ton more than I am.

I utilize progressive overload, so I'm strong enough... But the only way I'll ever know my 1RM is from a ****ing chart.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Haha like our good pal Bigworm would say. " if you want to be strong start lifting heavy weights"

DeltaWave

Reaction score
I agree that sometimes there are some ridiculous things in T-nation, but that's not the only way I saw it. I've also heard Mark Rippetoe and people with similar philosophies that an intermediate person should have a 200lbs bench, 300lbs squat and 400lbs deadlift. I also think this is a bit too generic and ignores the differences between each person but those seem like reasonable numbers, right?

In one of his previous videos, Omarlsuf suggested those lifts could be attained within the first year of lifting (still a beginner). I don't believe he provided any scientific evidence though, so it's pretty debatable.

Ratios are pretty much only dependent on the person. If you watch professional powerlifting competitions, some lifters have a higher squat than deadlift (less common I think though), some have a higher deadlift than squat, some have benches proportionate to their other lifts.

Just focus on form and progressive overloading. Your lifts will show your strengths/weaknesses after awhile.

since squatting heavy 3x/week is way too much.
Squating 3x a week probably a lil excessive too.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you're super cool, bench will always be your best lift.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I only payed attention to it because my bench is higher than my squat and everyone I see on YouTube is the other way around. I think over time it'll fix itself as long as I don't skip leg day. I thought it was about being the biggest dude in the room.

For me it's being the strongest.

But being happy is the most important out of it all. We only got one life!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
For me it's being the strongest.

But being happy is the most important out of it all. We only got one life!

It's about both for me. One is of little value to me without the other.

Larry Wheels wouldnt be a youtube sensation if he was a 300lb fatass and nobody cares about phil heath bc he lifts like a millenial.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's about both for me. One is of little value to me without the other.

Larry Wheels wouldnt be a youtube sensation if he was a 300lb fatass and nobody cares about phil heath bc he lifts like a millenial.

Speaking of him, people love how quickly he progresses.

Well, the past 6-7 months I have increased my lifts almost every single week. For example, have a small pec tear, start with 50s, got to 120lb DBs on flat bench, and ~2 weeks later I was doing 130sx6 since I got to 10 reps with 120s. I've never done more than 4 reps with 130s in 2009 (preferred BB flat).

I could get a huge audience with the consistent, super fast progress. But, I don't feel I deserve to be on Youtube nor feel like I'm special at all.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Speaking of him, people love how quickly he progresses.

Well, the past 6-7 months I have increased my lifts almost every single week. For example, have a small pec tear, start with 50s, got to 120lb DBs on flat bench, and ~2 weeks later I was doing 130sx6 since I got to 10 reps with 120s. I've never done more than 4 reps with 130s in 2009 (preferred BB flat).

I could get a huge audience with the consistent, super fast progress. But, I don't feel I deserve to be on Youtube nor feel like I'm special at all.

Ill watch when the dumbells weigh 250.....

November Ajax

Reaction score
Those are pretty high standards. Ronnie Coleman got a lot of attention with his 200lb DB bench. I'm sure screaming "lightweight" and "yeah buddy" 500 times helped a lot as well.
Edit: it was incline bench.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those are pretty high standards. Ronnie Coleman got a lot of attention with his 200lb DB bench. I'm sure screaming "lightweight" and "yeah buddy" 500 times helped a lot as well.
Edit: it was incline bench.

It was flat. 210lb DBs is my actual goal!! I know I can do it; I don't care what anyone says. I know my body; I know my feats while farming. I do NOT care the probability of doing it. I will die trying if it comes to it.

I was closing in on 4/5/6 back in 2009-2010. So long ago, before my life fell apart. Had to start back at 0. Could be a possibly awesome "phoenix" story, since people eat that shit up.

Exactly! Although I built a huge following on bodybuilding.com forums in 2011-2012, and you see the attention I get here, I do not believe I deserve such a spotlight.

The weight I'm doing now is crazy only to normal folks/beginning lifters. I want the respect from the strongest lifters. Thus, I "don't deserve" to be a Youtube creator.

Last edited:

November Ajax

Reaction score
It was flat. 210lb DBs is my actual goal!! I know I can do it; I don't care what anyone says. I know my body; I know my feats while farming. I do NOT care the probability of doing it. I will die trying if it comes to it.

I you are talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMaI63H9hc&t=231s , then it's incline. Skip to 2:40.

By the way, I hear there is good money in YouTube. Maybe you should reconsider!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
The one I shared has flat bench with 200s as well. But incline with 200s is way more impressive. He probably can do more than that on flat if he can incline 200s.

I doubt he can do the 80s anymore. Damn shame

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The one I shared has flat bench with 200s as well. But incline with 200s is way more impressive. He probably can do more than that on flat if he can incline 200s.

Nah, inclines are easier. You can youtube several people doing 200s on incline. 200s and up on flat is way harder, due to less muscle groups used.

New Threads