Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Are my ratios effed up?

Hi! So I recently got back home, aka the gym, and I got back to doing StrongLifts 5x5, after 3 weeks of eating garbage and doing nothing, to get back some of my lost strength (btw it was a lot). I know this is not strictly powerlifting but it's as close as I'll ever get.

So here are my numbers (in pounds, even though I lost strength my ratios were always about the same, these are my numbers on the routine, not 1RM or even 5RM):

Squat: 135 (75% of my deadlift, ATG)
    Bench press: 155 (115% of my squat)
    Barbell row (unsupported starting from the floor): 135
    Overhead press: 90
    Deadlift: 175

The way I see it my bench should be about 67% of my squat and my squat should be about 75% of my deadlift. Am I wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 18,315 Times in 7,902 Posts
    Ratios? No such thing
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,447 Posts
    I've never heard of ratios for lifting...

EDIT: PoB beat me to it.
    In need of dieting help? Email me at [email protected]

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Those ratios were created by someone, and people repeated it enough that it became a model to follow.

It's bullshit. You choose what you want your ratio to be. Go look at world record powerlifters' ratios and get to their numbers. That would be way more fun to beat.

Christian T..ugh I started out on T-Nation forums back in 2006. Don't listen to those idiots; they only want your money. Trust me, I was part of a big forum change there back in 2007-2008; **** those guys.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hulksmash For This Useful Post:

November Ajax (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
    Those ratios were created by someone, and people repeated it enough that it became a model to follow.

It's bullshit. You choose what you want your ratio to be. Go look at world record powerlifters' ratios and get to their numbers. That would be way more fun to beat.

Christian T..ugh I started out on T-Nation forums back in 2006. Don't listen to those idiots; they only want your money. Trust me, I was part of a big forum change there back in 2007-2008; **** those guys.
    I agree that sometimes there are some ridiculous things in T-nation, but that's not the only way I saw it. I've also heard Mark Rippetoe and people with similar philosophies that an intermediate person should have a 200lbs bench, 300lbs squat and 400lbs deadlift. I also think this is a bit too generic and ignores the differences between each person but those seem like reasonable numbers, right?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by November Ajax View Post
    I agree that sometimes there are some ridiculous things in T-nation, but that's not the only way I saw it. I've also heard Mark Rippetoe and people with similar philosophies that an intermediate person should have a 200lbs bench, 300lbs squat and 400lbs deadlift. I also think this is a bit too generic and ignores the differences between each person but those seem like reasonable numbers, right?
    For me, I believed I should've had a 315 b/405 s/505d as an intermediate, so those numbers would've been below my standards. Thus, I tell you to ignore those ratios and aim higher. Go for the ****ing top!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hulksmash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,992 Times in 4,303 Posts
    Everyone's body is different so you can't go by that shit.

Just don't bench more then your squat is a good rule.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

daddyboul (02-09-2019),jennerrator (02-10-2019),Jin (02-09-2019),Metalhead1 (02-09-2019),Uncle manny (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,447 Posts
    what is your goal though? To on in mass or are you looking to compete in powerlifting?
    In need of dieting help? Email me at [email protected]

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Everyone's body is different so you can't go by that shit.

Just don't bench more then your squat is a good rule.
    Yeah that was my main concern. Also that my rows are a bit high compared to my bench maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
    what is your goal though? To on in mass or are you looking to compete in powerlifting?
    I have no interest in powerlifting. I'm just going to do this for about 12-16 weeks to increase my main lifts and hopefully to start getting my bench/squat ratio to more acceptable levels. The progression outlined in the program should allow me to do it, given that I'd be increasing my squats by 5lbs 3x/week and my bench by 5lbs 1.5x/week. If I'm able to follow that for 12 weeks (which seems tough though, I'll probably have to switch to 3x5 somewhere along the way) I should be squatting 315 and benching 245 by the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 811 Posts
    I eat more poptarts than chicken. Hasn't stopped me LOL.. kidding. Just keep on working to up your lifts to be the best you brother. My ratios would be bad if they existed that way because me bench is better than my deadlift because old injuries in my lower back. I just lift to my limits and move on.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence!

POPTARTS ARE MUSCLE FOOD!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by November Ajax View Post
    Yeah that was my main concern. Also that my rows are a bit high compared to my bench maybe?

I have no interest in powerlifting. I'm just going to do this for about 12-16 weeks to increase my main lifts and hopefully to start getting my bench/squat ratio to more acceptable levels. The progression outlined in the program should allow me to do it, given that I'd be increasing my squats by 5lbs 3x/week and my bench by 5lbs 1.5x/week. If I'm able to follow that for 12 weeks (which seems tough though, I'll probably have to switch to 3x5 somewhere along the way) I should be squatting 315 and benching 245 by the end.
    Read carefully:

Humans do not progress in a linear fashion, as in "my bench will increase 5lbs every 1.5 weeks". Progress is to be viewed in averages. Example:

In 1 month, your bench:
    • increased 2lbs on week 1.
    • increased 0lbs on week 2.
    • increased 1lb on week 3.
    • increased 1lb on week 4.

Thus, you gained 3.25lbs on bench every week. I've tried my hardest through the years to END the belief that results happen in a linear fashion. There are exceptions! Newbie gains and chemicals can cause linear results.

Also, don't fall victim to the planning fallacy! That's a phenomenon EVERY PERSON has been in before, where you underestimate the time needed to reach a goal/complete a task. We all do it; it's part of being human. Make sure you give yourself enough time. It will take longer than assumed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hulksmash For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast