Are my ratios effed up?

November Ajax

Reaction score
Hi! So I recently got back home, aka the gym, and I got back to doing StrongLifts 5x5, after 3 weeks of eating garbage and doing nothing, to get back some of my lost strength (btw it was a lot). I know this is not strictly powerlifting but it's as close as I'll ever get.

So here are my numbers (in pounds, even though I lost strength my ratios were always about the same, these are my numbers on the routine, not 1RM or even 5RM):

Squat: 135 (75% of my deadlift, ATG)
Bench press: 155 (115% of my squat)
Barbell row (unsupported starting from the floor): 135
Overhead press: 90
Deadlift: 175

The way I see it my bench should be about 67% of my squat and my squat should be about 75% of my deadlift. Am I wrong?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of ratios for lifting...

EDIT: PoB beat me to it.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those ratios were created by someone, and people repeated it enough that it became a model to follow.

It's bullshit. You choose what you want your ratio to be. Go look at world record powerlifters' ratios and get to their numbers. That would be way more fun to beat.

Christian T..ugh I started out on T-Nation forums back in 2006. Don't listen to those idiots; they only want your money. Trust me, I was part of a big forum change there back in 2007-2008; **** those guys.

November Ajax

Reaction score
Those ratios were created by someone, and people repeated it enough that it became a model to follow.

It's bullshit. You choose what you want your ratio to be. Go look at world record powerlifters' ratios and get to their numbers. That would be way more fun to beat.

Christian T..ugh I started out on T-Nation forums back in 2006. Don't listen to those idiots; they only want your money. Trust me, I was part of a big forum change there back in 2007-2008; **** those guys.
I agree that sometimes there are some ridiculous things in T-nation, but that's not the only way I saw it. I've also heard Mark Rippetoe and people with similar philosophies that an intermediate person should have a 200lbs bench, 300lbs squat and 400lbs deadlift. I also think this is a bit too generic and ignores the differences between each person but those seem like reasonable numbers, right?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree that sometimes there are some ridiculous things in T-nation, but that's not the only way I saw it. I've also heard Mark Rippetoe and people with similar philosophies that an intermediate person should have a 200lbs bench, 300lbs squat and 400lbs deadlift. I also think this is a bit too generic and ignores the differences between each person but those seem like reasonable numbers, right?

For me, I believed I should've had a 315 b/405 s/505d as an intermediate, so those numbers would've been below my standards. Thus, I tell you to ignore those ratios and aim higher. Go for the ****ing top!

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what is your goal though? To on in mass or are you looking to compete in powerlifting?

November Ajax

Reaction score
Everyone's body is different so you can't go by that shit.

Just don't bench more then your squat is a good rule.

Yeah that was my main concern. Also that my rows are a bit high compared to my bench maybe?

what is your goal though? To on in mass or are you looking to compete in powerlifting?

I have no interest in powerlifting. I'm just going to do this for about 12-16 weeks to increase my main lifts and hopefully to start getting my bench/squat ratio to more acceptable levels. The progression outlined in the program should allow me to do it, given that I'd be increasing my squats by 5lbs 3x/week and my bench by 5lbs 1.5x/week. If I'm able to follow that for 12 weeks (which seems tough though, I'll probably have to switch to 3x5 somewhere along the way) I should be squatting 315 and benching 245 by the end.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I eat more poptarts than chicken. Hasn't stopped me LOL.. kidding. Just keep on working to up your lifts to be the best you brother. My ratios would be bad if they existed that way because me bench is better than my deadlift because old injuries in my lower back. I just lift to my limits and move on.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was my main concern. Also that my rows are a bit high compared to my bench maybe?

I have no interest in powerlifting. I'm just going to do this for about 12-16 weeks to increase my main lifts and hopefully to start getting my bench/squat ratio to more acceptable levels. The progression outlined in the program should allow me to do it, given that I'd be increasing my squats by 5lbs 3x/week and my bench by 5lbs 1.5x/week. If I'm able to follow that for 12 weeks (which seems tough though, I'll probably have to switch to 3x5 somewhere along the way) I should be squatting 315 and benching 245 by the end.

Read carefully:

Humans do not progress in a linear fashion, as in "my bench will increase 5lbs every 1.5 weeks". Progress is to be viewed in averages. Example:

In 1 month, your bench:
  • increased 2lbs on week 1.
  • increased 0lbs on week 2.
  • increased 1lb on week 3.
  • increased 1lb on week 4.

Thus, you gained 3.25lbs on bench every week. I've tried my hardest through the years to END the belief that results happen in a linear fashion. There are exceptions! Newbie gains and chemicals can cause linear results.

Also, don't fall victim to the planning fallacy! That's a phenomenon EVERY PERSON has been in before, where you underestimate the time needed to reach a goal/complete a task. We all do it; it's part of being human. Make sure you give yourself enough time. It will take longer than assumed.

November Ajax

Reaction score
Read carefully:

Humans do not progress in a linear fashion, as in "my bench will increase 5lbs every 1.5 weeks". Progress is to be viewed in averages. Example:

In 1 month, your bench:
  • increased 2lbs on week 1.
  • increased 0lbs on week 2.
  • increased 1lb on week 3.
  • increased 1lb on week 4.

Thus, you gained 3.25lbs on bench every week. I've tried my hardest through the years to END the belief that results happen in a linear fashion. There are exceptions! Newbie gains and chemicals can cause linear results.

Also, don't fall victim to the planning fallacy! That's a phenomenon EVERY PERSON has been in before, where you underestimate the time needed to reach a goal/complete a task. We all do it; it's part of being human. Make sure you give yourself enough time. It will take longer than assumed.

I agree with all of this. That's why I said 12-16 weeks, and also that I'd eventually change to 3x5 instead of 5x5. I'm aware that I'll fail reps and will fail to reach 5 reps sometimes.

I'm also being optimistic because I'm a newbie. All I did before were bodyweight exercises and I have not been even remotely consistent.

Also, the fact that I said 1.5x/week is the result of an average. Some weeks I'll increase 10lbs, some weeks only 5lbs. And as I said, some weeks I'll increase nothing and even have to lower the weight.

I'm prepared for it to last more than 12 or even 16 weeks. Even if it does, 225 bench and 315 squat sound like great numbers for me.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
We progress as our bodies allow us to progress so I wouldn't get hung up on ratios. OTOH, I will rip on you if you always bench press more than you squat/deadlift and have bird legs. Just kidding... or am I?

All joking aside, I started working out again in 2015 after letting myself go following a car crash in October 2007 to July 2015. I went into it knowing that I screwed my body up over a period of YEARS therefore I expected that it would take a minimum of five years to see satisfactory results. The results came a little quicker, but I am still not where I want to be, and probably never will get there. I won't let that stop me from trying though.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. That's why I said 12-16 weeks, and also that I'd eventually change to 3x5 instead of 5x5. I'm aware that I'll fail reps and will fail to reach 5 reps sometimes.

I'm also being optimistic because I'm a newbie. All I did before were bodyweight exercises and I have not been even remotely consistent.

Also, the fact that I said 1.5x/week is the result of an average. Some weeks I'll increase 10lbs, some weeks only 5lbs. And as I said, some weeks I'll increase nothing and even have to lower the weight.

I'm prepared for it to last more than 12 or even 16 weeks. Even if it does, 225 bench and 315 squat sound like great numbers for me.

To impart wisdom to a newbie:

As weights get heavier, the incremental weight increases get lighter.

Use me for example. I used 100lb DBs on flat bench. To progress, I jumped to 110lb DBs. NOW, with 130lb DBs, my next step is 135lb DBs instead of 140s. The DBs are now heavy enough that a 10lb increase could cause an injury.

So, be sure to expect 5lbs as your limit with progressing as weights get heavier.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We progress as our bodies allow us to progress so I wouldn't get hung up on ratios. OTOH, I will rip on you if you always bench press more than you squat/deadlift and have bird legs. Just kidding... or am I?

All joking aside, I started working out again in 2015 after letting myself go following a car crash in October 2007 to July 2015. I went into it knowing that I screwed my body up over a period of YEARS therefore I expected that it would take a minimum of five years to see satisfactory results. The results came a little quicker, but I am still not where I want to be, and probably never will get there. I won't let that stop me from trying though.

NEVER say "..never will get..." ever again. That's bullshit, just like "can't". I have even outlawed "can't" in this house, turning it into "the c word".

Yes, I know some things are improbable. Doesn't matter. Do not allow that in your mind. Even if you come short of a goal, you aimed so high that you ended up way past a point you would've ended on if you had said "can't/never will/etc"!

November Ajax

Reaction score
To impart wisdom to a newbie:

As weights get heavier, the incremental weight increases get lighter.

Use me for example. I used 100lb DBs on flat bench. To progress, I jumped to 110lb DBs. NOW, with 130lb DBs, my next step is 135lb DBs instead of 140s. The DBs are now heavy enough that a 10lb increase could cause an injury.

So, be sure to expect 5lbs as your limit with progressing as weights get heavier.

Yeah totally. Once I stop making progress this way I'll probably switch to Madcow. Progress is much slower and it allows for better recovery, since squatting heavy 3x/week is way too much.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
NEVER say "..never will get..." ever again. That's bullshit, just like "can't". I have even outlawed "can't" in this house, turning it into "the c word".

Yes, I know some things are improbable. Doesn't matter. Do not allow that in your mind. Even if you come short of a goal, you aimed so high that you ended up way past a point you would've ended on if you had said "can't/never will/etc"!

I guess I should elaborate more. As I approach 50, I know that getting as thin as I was in my 20s may be an unrealistic expectation. It doesn't stop me from trying though. Granted, I am stronger now at 46 years old than I was in my 20s, so I do have that going for me. I'm happier being stronger and carrying more body fat than being thinner, smaller, and weaker, lol.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I take each big lift separate and do not pay any attention to how much it is of a diff lift.

Its never once crossed my kind that my bench is a certain percentage of my squat or dead lift.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess I should elaborate more. As I approach 50, I know that getting as thin as I was in my 20s may be an unrealistic expectation. It doesn't stop me from trying though. Granted, I am stronger now at 46 years old than I was in my 20s, so I do have that going for me. I'm happier being stronger and carrying more body fat than being thinner, smaller, and weaker, lol.

Hell yea-being happy is what everything is about.

New Threads