Food vs shakes

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Micronutrients, absorption rates, bioavailability, and gastrointestinal response.

Playing devils advocate here. Not challenging your authority on nutrition.

-Multivitamin- micro
-casein/whey- absorption
- whey- highly bioavailable

i think you could make an argument for shakes over whole food for bulking. Less thermogenesis in digestion.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
What if my shakes have beneficial fruits and vegetables in them, loaded with bioavailable micronutrients and fiber along with my macros?

Boom!

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What if my shakes have beneficial fruits and vegetables in them, loaded with bioavailable micronutrients and fiber along with my macros?

Boom!

You will still be hungry because it's liquid

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
When I was in my weight loss phase I did shakes more because they seemed to digest better. I Lost a lot of weight eating 3 food meals and 3 shakes a day. Once I started lifting and adding muscle I eliminated shakes for whole food because food gave me better results and kept me full without shits. I will do a shake if I'm on the run and need a quick fix until I can actually eat food. Now poptarts are my goto. Immediately post workout I eat them and found I had less results when I tried eliminating them so fukk it, it's my excuse to eat em lol

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
My food source is shakes. Every other day or a few days a week I will have a custom Jimmy John's sandwich made.

I never feel uncomfortable or bloated feeling after drinking them, I get all the nutrients I need and it's really easy to keep track of what I've put in my body.

I use the Mass Tech extreme 2000 , I spend about $150/month for two 22lb containers.

On January 13th I weighed 185.4 lbs and yesterday I weighed 199.4

I feel better than I have in a while, but will slowly begin to incorporate real food slowly starting with eggs and food I know I don't have trouble with.

#TeamShake

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1) a calorie is a calorie. Doesn’t matter if it’s from pop tarts or oats.

2) food is superior to supplements/shakes.

These are two opinions often expressed on this board and they are incongruous.

So, which is it?
i dont believe in a cal is a cal and food is way better then shakes from my experience ..That saying you still should incorporate shakes and even shitty food

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
I have found I need a protein powder(more)during cutting phases. When I’m bulking, whole food is about 80% of my diet.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I promise I’m not trying to be a pest! Why isn’t it optimal?

Example: whey, carb powder(complex),fiber, OO

My understanding is the process of digestion and breaking down solid food is a trigger to certain processes in the body. (No idea what they are other then Spongy's hunger comment)

this is makes sense since the human body would have evolved needing to break things down during most meals. I’d also imagine there’s secondary nutrients that are helpful. Not necessarily fireman’s but odd things like the stringy filaments in meat. Again, no idea what they might do but are bodies are good at using odd things,

Last edited:

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the process of digestion and breaking down solid food is a trigger to certain processes in the body. (No idea what they are other then Spongy's hunger comment)

this is makes sense since the human body would have evolved needing to break things down during most meals. I’d also imagine there’s secondary nutrients that are helpful. Not necessarily fireman’s but odd things like the stringy filaments in meat. Again, no idea what they might do but are bodies are good at using odd things,

Specific dynamic action aka the "thermic effect of food"

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Specific dynamic action aka the "thermic effect of food"

This. There’s a reason you break out into a sweat when you eat a 1k kcal meal vs chugging a weight gainer shake.

You need to “challenge” your digestive system. The act of digestion itself raises your metabolic rate.

Drinking shakes all the time is just like being a bitch ass baby bird who needs the mommy bird to pre-digest it’s food for it.

New Threads