Food vs shakes

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol ^^^^^

I've been using both for a long time. I'll let the result speak for itself.

Same. Shakes are advantageous when used appropriately (eg post-workout) but I’m specifically referring to the guys who get lazy and replace meals with shakes because it’s easier.

I will often have two shakes in a day - one immediately when I wake up and one immediately post-workout...but that’s in addition to hitting 6 whole food meals a day.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Same. Shakes are advantageous when used appropriately (eg post-workout) but I’m specifically referring to the guys who get lazy and replace meals with shakes because it’s easier.

I will often have two shakes in a day - one immediately when I wake up and one immediately post-workout...but that’s in addition to hitting 6 whole food meals a day.

Yes, agreed. Same MO here.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, agreed. Same MO here.

I'm similar, but I have one shake per day, two scoops.

Wake up and eat whole food pre workout. Train and then whole food post workout. I have one shake immediately prior to going to bed. That's it.

I dont know a single competitor who takes a shake post workout that doesn't follow it up with a full meal within about 90 minutes or so.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm similar, but I have one shake per day, two scoops.

Wake up and eat whole food pre workout. Train and then whole food post workout. I have one shake immediately prior to going to bed. That's it.

I dont know a single competitor who takes a shake post workout that doesn't follow it up with a full meal within about 90 minutes or so.

Exactly. I take my shake at the gym postworkout and then eat a whole food meal once I get home.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well this is a personal preference...I eat clean and have clean shakes!

This right here for me, i eat as clean as possible and when im not able to get a meal in because of my schedule then i will have a shake at least.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
For me it’s cost effectiveness. I’ve yet to find a powder that’s cheaper per gram of protein than bulk chicken breast.
I keep a tub of some random cheap protein around but rarely use it.

Jaydub

Elite
Reaction score
I'll drink a shake or 2 a day.. the only powder in them is whey or casein. Oats, yogurt, berries, banana.. usually when I'm in a rush and can't make something solid to eat. I don't do weight gainers though... hate those things.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
For me it’s cost effectiveness. I’ve yet to find a powder that’s cheaper per gram of protein than bulk chicken breast.
I keep a tub of some random cheap protein around but rarely use it.

Can I blend up chicken into my shake or will that constitute a shake and not work as well?

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll drink a shake or 2 a day.. the only powder in them is whey or casein. Oats, yogurt, berries, banana.. usually when I'm in a rush and can't make something solid to eat. I don't do weight gainers though... hate those things.

That's exactly what I use in mine....and when I use them...some PB also..lol.......obviously only drinking protein powder and water lasts 10 fuuucking mins..that's not even worth it in my eyes...

I'd puke / choke if I tried to drink a weight gainer one!

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
"A calorie is a calorie" and "food > shakes/supps" are only incongruous if you think it's all about calories and nothing else. It isn't. Therefore, not incongruous.

I'll flip the question on you: if adherence is THE most important aspect of nutrition, which it is, then please build a case for shake only diets in place of food for healthy, sane, folks. Good luck :)

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
"A calorie is a calorie" and "food > shakes/supps" are only incongruous if you think it's all about calories and nothing else. It isn't. Therefore, not incongruous.

I'll flip the question on you: if adherence is THE most important aspect of nutrition, which it is, then please build a case for shake only diets in place of food for healthy, sane, folks. Good luck :)

I was never making a case in either direction.

I want to be able to explain the advice I give to people and I realized I didn’t know the answer to “why is real food better than supplements?”

Good points.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the operative word is "Supplement" and is intended as such. When MetRX can out, it was billed as a complete meal for people who were not able to meet their dietary requirements. If I recall, it was marketed to hospitals for patients who had problems consuming food; yeah that changed quick.

I often wondered if I could find a good quality food replacement and be able to do just drinks. Now before anyone jumps on that, there's no one food that you can consume that meets all your requirements and I doubt even if you tried, you'd be able to get everything you needed/wanted in whole foods. POB can scream all he wants but I'd still be taking my one-a-day vit/min.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think the operative word is "Supplement" and is intended as such. When MetRX can out, it was billed as a complete meal for people who were not able to meet their dietary requirements. If I recall, it was marketed to hospitals for patients who had problems consuming food; yeah that changed quick.

I often wondered if I could find a good quality food replacement and be able to do just drinks. Now before anyone jumps on that, there's no one food that you can consume that meets all your requirements and I doubt even if you tried, you'd be able to get everything you needed/wanted in whole foods. POB can scream all he wants but I'd still be taking my one-a-day vit/min.

Its less about the nutritional components of a shake vs a food. You can absolutely structure a shake with all the necessary things you need.

Its more about the actual breakdown of solid food in your gut - in the simplest terms, if you stop ‘challenging’ your digestive system to break down solid foods, it will get ‘lazy’. (Also, the thermic effect of food as mentioned earlier is a benefit)

Even The physical act of chewing has a physiological effect, inducing a cascade of enzymatic processes necessary for digestion.

Trust me, I would LOVE to be able to just drink all my meals, but I know it’s not as beneficial to me in the long run.

Reactions: Jin

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Its less about the nutritional components of a shake vs a food. You can absolutely structure a shake with all the necessary things you need.

Its more about the actual breakdown of solid food in your gut - in the simplest terms, if you stop ‘challenging’ your digestive system to break down solid foods, it will get ‘lazy’. (Also, the thermic effect of food as mentioned earlier is a benefit)

Even The physical act of chewing has a physiological effect, inducing a cascade of enzymatic processes necessary for digestion.

Trust me, I would LOVE to be able to just drink all my meals, but I know it’s not as beneficial to me in the long run.

Very true Hurt. I just wondered how long I would last. The act of eating for me at times is more social. Nothing like sitting down with the family and pounding down a good meal.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Just me personally but I have zero desire to look like that.
Given the choice, I doubt he would want to look like that either.
But he has the highest total in IPF history.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Both work great... yummy

New Threads