Beginner StrongLifts 5x5 log

November Ajax

Reaction score
I'm going to be following the StrongLifts 5x5 program for about 12-16 weeks. I'm mostly interested in my strength gains so I'm not going to be taking pictures or making any measurements. I'm interested in doing this because there are lots of loonies out there claiming you can gain 40lbs in a few months, and I think this is insane, so I want to test it (I will admit that I won't be drinking a gallong of milk a day, so that's probably the reason :rolleyes:), maybe someone will find it later on and decide if they are happy with the gains.

For those not familiar with the program: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

• Initial weight: 163lbs (74kg) (weighed on 11-Feb-19 in the morning)
  • Body fat: ~15% (estimate)
  • Height: 5'11'' (180cm)
  • Calorie goal: 3100kcal / day
  • Protein goal: 135g-165g / day (0.8-1g / pound)
  • Fat goal: 85g / day (25% of total calories)
  • Carbs goal: 420g / day (the rest after substracting fat and protein)

I'll be posting if I achieved my diet goals every week along with my weight, and I'll try to post about my workouts 3x/week.

My diet will consist mostly of chicken, rice (brown or white), potatoes, vegetables (broccoli, kale or whatever I can get my hands on), fruits, oatmeal, nuts, milk, eggs, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to be doing 1x5 Deadlifts as recommended, but instead I'll be doing 3x5 until I feel I can't recover from it.

Disclaimer 2: I'll be doing high-bar squats instead of low-bar to avoid stressing my lower back too much.

Last edited:

November Ajax

Reaction score
I started with workout B because I used last week to get back into my usual weights.

12-Feb-19

Workout 1 (B)
  • Squat: 132lbs (60kg) 5x5
  • OHP: 88lbs (40kg) 5x5
  • Deadlift: 176lbs (80kg) 3x5

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Yeah. Take pics. The beginner recomp phase is awesome. Id kill to make gains like that for six months or so. Have fun!

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Congratulations for starting your program ... I'd recommend not worrying about what others have a achieved or not a achieved and concentrate on your situation ... the truth is you cannot improve what you do not measure ... weigh weekly and measure monthly ... pics are an excellent idea also ...

November Ajax

Reaction score
Congratulations for starting your program ... I'd recommend not worrying about what others have a achieved or not a achieved and concentrate on your situation ... the truth is you cannot improve what you do not measure ... weigh weekly and measure monthly ... pics are an excellent idea also ...
I'll definitely do the weight thing. This guys have convinced me to take pictures so I'll do that as well. The only question that remains is: To flex, or not to flex.

DeltaWave

Reaction score
Nice thorough post, Jax.

It's entirely plausible to gain 40lbs in 2-3 months, although the majority would be water weight/fat.

Would not be too strict on meal timing, although planning for your pre/intra/post workout can definitely have its upsides.

And personally, I find that squats and deadlifts on the same day can be pretty taxing, especially if its heavy load/low reps and you're just beginning. It's easy to forget about improving form, and just moving the weight.

Take pictures every 2-3 months. Don't worry about short-term changes, look toward the long-term ones. Keep a daily log of your training sessions, create a couple goals you want to achieve, and keep that motivation sky-rocketing.

Goodluck lad.

November Ajax

Reaction score
Nice thorough post, Jax.

It's entirely plausible to gain 40lbs in 2-3 months, although the majority would be water weight/fat.

Would not be too strict on meal timing, although planning for your pre/intra/post workout can definitely have its upsides.

And personally, I find that squats and deadlifts on the same day can be pretty taxing, especially if its heavy load/low reps and you're just beginning. It's easy to forget about improving form, and just moving the weight.

Take pictures every 2-3 months. Don't worry about short-term changes, look toward the long-term ones. Keep a daily log of your training sessions, create a couple goals you want to achieve, and keep that motivation sky-rocketing.

Goodluck lad.

I don't worry about form too much. I record myself all the time and I've never had any kind of discomfort. I've been improving my form for a while now and I think it looks pretty good.

I usually eat 1.5-3h (less than 1.5h and I'll feel bad) before the gym and 0.5-1h after. Don't take any supplements but will start if I feel I'm missing some macros, especially protein.

I honestly forgot to include goals. I already know what they are but forgot to include them in the OP. I'll post if I got to them at the end of the 12 weeks. And thanks!

DeltaWave

Reaction score
I don't worry about form too much. I record myself all the time and I've never had any kind of discomfort. I've been improving my form for a while now and I think it looks pretty good.

I usually eat 1.5-3h (less than 1.5h and I'll feel bad) before the gym and 0.5-1h after. Don't take any supplements but will start if I feel I'm missing some macros, especially protein.

I honestly forgot to include goals. I already know what they are but forgot to include them in the OP. I'll post if I got to them at the end of the 12 weeks. And thanks!

It may look good, but you also need to consider which muscles you're wanting to activate throughout the lift. There's numerous amounts of literature discussing the differences between a beginner/intermediate/elite lifter. The more you learn, the faster you progress (in my opinion).

Everyone has their own opinion on pre/intra/post workout meals/supps. I personally like mixing a spoonful (30-35g) of dextrose (basically carbs) with my pre workout (which is generally just citrulline malate, beta alanine, pinch of salt if I'm feeling a little extra). Then I sometimes add another half spoon of dextrose throughout/after my workout with 30-40g of protein.
Again, everyone has their own opinion. This is just my preference, because I also don't like to have a heavy meal just before a workout. Otherwise I end up having to shit half-way into it.

November Ajax

Reaction score
Log 2

14-Feb-19

Workout 2 (A)
  • Squat: 138lbs (62.5kg) 5x5
  • Bench press: 143lbs (65kg) 5x5
  • Bent-over row: 138lbs (62.5kg) 5x5

The squats felt a little tough but I managed to get to 5x5 with proper form. I also managed to increase the 5lbs on every lift, so I'm pleased with that. (I corrected the value in lbs of my previous squat numbers. I assumed 60kg were 135lbs but were in fact 132lbs.)
I'm wondering if I'll have to switch to 3x5 squats soon. Even now it's been hard to get to 5x5. I hope this is because I'm just getting back. Also my protein intake has been low this past two days, so that could be the reason as well.

Last edited:

November Ajax

Reaction score
Log 3

16-Feb-19

Workout 3 (B)
  • Squat: 143lbs (65kg) 3x5
  • OHP: 93lbs (42.5kg) 5x5
  • Deadlift: 187lbs (85kg) 3x5

I felt it wouldn't be possible to reach 5x5 on the squats with good form so I bailed at 3x5. I thought it would be better to recover for next week and also to mantain good form today.
I'll probably be doing 3x5s on the 2nd workout of every week to be rested for the 3rd. There is an extra rest day between the last workout of the week and the first of the following week, so it shouldn't be necessary to do 3x5 on the 3rd one again next week.
Felt pretty hard to increase 5lbs on the OHP. Sadly my gym doesn't have plates smaller than 2.5lbs so I'll probably have to start increasing the weight every 2 workouts instead of 1 in this exercise.
My forearms are starting to feel the weight of the Deadlifts. I'll probably have to start using straps before reaching 220lbs. At least for the last set or so.
Despite the squat fail, I feel I've been keeping up pretty well so far. Considering my lifts started relatively high, I'm happy with the results for this week.

Last edited:

November Ajax

Reaction score
Log 4

19-Feb-19
Workout 4 (A)
  • Squat: 149lbs (67.5kg) (Failed to get 3x5)
  • Bench press: 149lbs (67.5kg) 5x5
  • Bent over row: 143lbs (65kg) 5x5

I failed to get 3x5 on squats for some reason. I'm having a lot of trouble with this exercise. I don't know why this exercise is so hard for me. I think the next step is to drop the weight to about 110lbs (50kg) and work my way up from there. Seems like a big downgrade but I see no other way. Even during my warm-up sets I struggle to get the reps.
The other lifts felt fine, especially the Pendlay Row.
I also forgot to weight myself today, so I'll do it tomorrow first thing.
Diet update
Macros\DayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Fatn/a87104110121110132
Carbsn/a366385304275339207
Proteinn/a106119174181162154
Caloriesn/a269629242882294029892664
First two days had pretty bad ratios but in the following days protein intake went up. At first I though my protein intake was the cause of my slow recovery but now I don't think so, which is also why I think dropping the weight is the way to go.

DeltaWave

Reaction score
I failed to get 3x5 on squats for some reason. I'm having a lot of trouble with this exercise. I don't know why this exercise is so hard for me. I think the next step is to drop the weight to about 110lbs (50kg) and work my way up from there. Seems like a big downgrade but I see no other way. Even during my warm-up sets I struggle to get the reps.

Some people have trouble with squats (me included), some don't. Same as any other exercise. Lots of things can affect it, but **** going into that.

No harm in dropping the weight and going for higher reps. It's a common technique used to get past plateaus.

There's likely a plethora of threads discussing how to improve your squat on here, just search "improve squat" or something. Also Grizzly just posted this a couple days ago - [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/29305-Update-on-the-Bulgarian-Split-Squats

You can also look at alternatives to squats, or even other variations of the squat, but on machines instead. V squat, hack squat, leg press. All good alternatives/variations.
[/FONT]

November Ajax

Reaction score
Some people have trouble with squats (me included), some don't. Same as any other exercise. Lots of things can affect it, but **** going into that.

No harm in dropping the weight and going for higher reps. It's a common technique used to get past plateaus.

There's likely a plethora of threads discussing how to improve your squat on here, just search "improve squat" or something. Also Grizzly just posted this a couple days ago - [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/29305-Update-on-the-Bulgarian-Split-Squats

You can also look at alternatives to squats, or even other variations of the squat, but on machines instead. V squat, hack squat, leg press. All good alternatives/variations.
[/FONT]

I have read that split squats can drive up your squat. I've also seen some people recommend leg press as a decent alternative. However, I'm not ready to give up on the exercise just yet. I mean, it's only been a week :p

I'm not sure if I'm garbage at squats or this is just a product of skipping leg day for years. Back when I was into bodyweight stuff I'd skip leg day almost every time, mostly because you look dumb AF doing squats in a park like some 45 year old woman while her personal trainer is cruising Instagram.

The guy recommends dropping the weight about 10% when hitting plateaus, but I think I'll benefit from going a little below that. I gotta get used to the movement and work on my mobility. I noticed I started half-repping as well, so I'll try some lighter ATG squats and see how that goes.

I'm going to keep going for a few more weeks and drop the weight as many times as necessary. If I still suck at it I'll probably work on some alternative movement, maybe try low-bar or front squats as well.

Thanks for the input, Cheetah.

DeltaWave

Reaction score
I have read that split squats can drive up your squat. I've also seen some people recommend leg press as a decent alternative. However, I'm not ready to give up on the exercise just yet. I mean, it's only been a week :p

I'm not sure if I'm garbage at squats or this is just a product of skipping leg day for years. Back when I was into bodyweight stuff I'd skip leg day almost every time, mostly because you look dumb AF doing squats in a park like some 45 year old woman while her personal trainer is cruising Instagram.

The guy recommends dropping the weight about 10% when hitting plateaus, but I think I'll benefit from going a little below that. I gotta get used to the movement and work on my mobility. I noticed I started half-repping as well, so I'll try some lighter ATG squats and see how that goes.

I'm going to keep going for a few more weeks and drop the weight as many times as necessary. If I still suck at it I'll probably work on some alternative movement, maybe try low-bar or front squats as well.

Thanks for the input, Cheetah.

I'd recommend recording yourself doing squats and upload it on the forum and ask for feedback. People that have years of experience will instantly know what's wrong.
Generally its just little things that you don't even realise you're doing.

@10% dropping, depends on where you're at/what training style you want to incorporate. Could do pyramid sets, high rep with 50-60% of your 1rm, or low rep with 70-80% of your 1rm. Loads of other variations. Even 1-2 sets to failure, then moving onto the next exercise. Shit's insane but impressive af too.

@movement, I stopped doing squats for a good 3-4 months. Hated it. Couldn't get the movement down. So I swapped over to other exercises, then switched back. I still hate them, but once I came back it kinda just clicked for some reason.

No worries brotha, goodluck with the next workout.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You aren’t good at squatting because you haven’t squatted much.

Squat until you are good at it.

I was dogshit when I started about 4 years ago. Couldn’t get a single clean rep of 225. Now I can get 40 and squat over 500 pounds. How did I do it? Squatting!

Its not just strength. It’s mobility. The more you squat the better your body dynamics will be. My ankles were not flexible enough to squat without a heal when I first started. Now I am much more comfortable in a flat soles shoe.

Sure, play around with low vs high bar. Record yourself Nd analyze your form.

Forget about front squats for now.

If you want to get better at squatting then squat. Period.

Drop the weight and nail the form.

The strength will come.

Last edited:

November Ajax

Reaction score
Log 5

21-Feb-19
Workout 5 (B)
  • Squat: 110lbs (50kg) 5x5
  • OHP: 93lbs (42.5kg) 5x5
  • Deadlift: 198lbs (90kg) 1x5

Squats went well. Switched to low-bar to follow the program as it was intended. Went well, and I'm almost certain that the problem is lack of strength, since I have the mobility part down. Did all of the reps ATG and I didn't struggle with the movement at all.
The OHP still feels hard. I don't think I can increase the weight next workout either. It's worth mentioning that since I started I've been doing chin-ups and dips on workouts A and B, respectively. Maybe this is hurting my OHP. I won't stop doing them because I don't want to end up looking like a damn T-rex.
I did two relatively heavy warm-up sets for the deadlifts, mostly because the weight is starting to look scary. I feel confident I could have gotten to 3x5 without much trouble. This is also probably because the squats got easier. Also, I want to start following the program more closely.
I forgot to add the weight last time so here it is.
Weight update: 166.6lbs (75.6kg) (weighed on 19-Feb-19)
Seems like I gained too much weight but the weight on the first post wasn't precise. I must have gained 1-1.5lbs.