Triceps routine?

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Hey dude, what exercises do you attribute mostly for blowing up your tris like that?
Thats one stubborn body part for me, id love to get them moving.

Yes! I even had a tricep thread on bodybuilding that blew up back in 2013. Since triceps are ~75% of your total arm mass, you need to focus on which tricep head makes up most of the tricep mass.

The long head is the key to having huge triceps! So, I researched the function, origin, and everything else to ensure I get the triceps' long head as big and strong as possible. You should:

• Stick to overhead exercises (long head mostly used)
  • Always do heavy for strength, with last 1-2 sets being light
  • heavy=3-8 reps, lighter=12-15 reps
  • Do 2 overhead exercises, and 1 or 2 standard tricep exercise
  • Only do partials, avoid lock out for constant tension
  • always used forced reps on last heavy set

You can use full ROM on the last rep of a set if you wish. I like to throw it in now and then. The light weight sets are to ensure you tear every fiber in your long head. Train triceps 2x a week if its being too stubborn. Stay on top of your diet.

You'll notice all the "monsters" in BBing only do partial reps. I take what all the monsters do and use it on myself. All non-overhead exercises activate the lateral and medial heads more than the long head, thus the directions listed.

Any other questions?

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
First, yeah I have noticed the big tris in the gym only doing partials.
Ive always been a believer in full range of motion but recently started incorporating some partials but not to the extent you described.

I just want to clear up your description of overhead and standard exercises.

Here is what ive been doing, with pics to help describe the exercises.

Warm up and also in between sets i'll do the seated triceps push down, or whatever it may be called

Then ill do 2 more exercises and ill switch up the order...
One is the seated pushdown machine with free weights and the other is the seated overhead press or extension
Between these 3 ill normally do 12 - 20 sets depending if im doing with chest or with biceps

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect this to become a thread. I feel pretty good about myself now lol

The exercises: throw every one of those away. Those machines just aren't good enough, except for basic cable pushdowns. Instead, do:

Flat bench DB extensions

hqdefault.jpg

• Find and use position of arms that causes the most tricep activation
  • ONLY bend at the elbow; don't cheat moving your arms
  • Go heavy, 3-8 rep range
  • NEVER use weight too heavy to cause arm cheating
  • only do partials, don't lock out or go all the way down to temples

The partials maintain constant tension, which you lose if you lock out or go all the way down to your temples. Don't go too heavy, or else you will cheat and not do correct partial reps. This exercise is your strength and mass builder-always start with it to use your fresh energy. A bonus is that this exercise will make your bench go up.

One Arm Cable Pushdown Super-Set
one-arm-tricep-pushdown.jpg
one-arm-reverse-grip-cable-push-down.jpg

• Super-set regular grip (pic 1) with reverse grip (pic 2)
  • Lighter weight at 10-12 reps
  • Do only partials again
  • Keep proper form, stand up straight+hug your arm against your side
  • Don't go too heavy and cheat
  • use forced reps to tear every muscle fiber for gains

This super set is for the lateral and medial heads. Same concept as before, but less weight. Ensure you stand properly; stand up straight and keep the work arm close to your side. Only bend at the elbow, NEVER move the arm+shoulder.

Honestly that's all I do. It's like I did for my chest and benching-I swapped extra exercises for more sets, reps, and weight (only used flat benching for chest). I only do 2 exercises but work out like a ****ing mad man. I don't need more because of the intensity. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

If you need 3 exercises still, then add a Standing Overhead Cable Extension between the 2 above. That will get shit done.

Ask away if needed. Kill it!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I forgot:

Sometimes I hit triceps after chest. It's always after heavy bench pressing, so my triceps are already worked a bit.

However, most of the time I stick to a day dedicated for Triceps+Biceps because I train 1 body part a day.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Alright Hulksmash, not what I expected but it's time to change things up!
Thanks for the tips.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Personally I’ve become a fan of overhead cable tricep extensions using a straight bar for all the reasons listed above.

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: Just noticed hulk referenced these at the end.

Last edited:

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally I’ve become a fan of overhead cable tricep extensions using a straight bar for all the reasons listed above.

View attachment 7409

Edit: Just noticed hulk referenced these at the end.

Yes, those are great for the long head.

That and the other 2 have always been a staple for triceps.

Most important thing is constant tension and mind-muscle connection.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget the DIPS!

I hate dips, never will I do them.

Triceps are not isolated enough for dips. You want isolation if you want to be as big as possible.

Also, dips=**** your shoulders and elbows up

I know people will argue, but after knowin hundreds of folks getting shit with their shoulders and elbows, PLUS no isolation for triceps, it aint worth it at all.q

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Hey dude, what exercises do you attribute mostly for blowing up your tris like that?
Thats one stubborn body part for me, id love to get them moving.

Yes! I even had a tricep thread on bodybuilding that blew up back in 2013. Since triceps are ~75% of your total arm mass, you need to focus on which tricep head makes up most of the tricep mass.

The long head is the key to having huge triceps! So, I researched the function, origin, and everything else to ensure I get the triceps' long head as big and strong as possible. You should:

• Stick to overhead exercises (long head mostly used)
  • Always do heavy for strength, with last 1-2 sets being light
  • heavy=3-8 reps, lighter=12-15 reps
  • Do 2 overhead exercises, and 1 or 2 standard tricep exercise
  • Only do partials, avoid lock out for constant tension
  • always used forced reps on last heavy set

You can use full ROM on the last rep of a set if you wish. I like to throw it in now and then. The light weight sets are to ensure you tear every fiber in your long head. Train triceps 2x a week if its being too stubborn. Stay on top of your diet.

You'll notice all the "monsters" in BBing only do partial reps. I take what all the monsters do and use it on myself. All non-overhead exercises activate the lateral and medial heads more than the long head, thus the directions listed.

Any other questions?

Thanks for this helpful thread, Rhino!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also very important:

I would be doing a disservice if I don't say this.

EXPERIMENT!! People are not the same! If One Arm Pushdowns don't activate your triceps as good as Two-Arm Bar Pushdowns, then **** the OA Pushdowns, do the other!

No one is the same. The main point is to do an overhead exercise with heavy weights and partial reps, and to do a standard tricep exercise with lighter weight and partials.

Go find out what works best for you with the base rules to guide you.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
I hate dips, never will I do them.

Triceps are not isolated enough for dips. You want isolation if you want to be as big as possible.

Also, dips=**** your shoulders and elbows up

I know people will argue, but after knowin hundreds of folks getting shit with their shoulders and elbows, PLUS no isolation for triceps, it aint worth it at all.q

Maybe a lot of people just don’t know the mechanics of dips and aren’t doing them correctly. There’s a bunch of different ways to do them. Depending on your body position, elbow position and range of motion, will change the emphasis on shoulder/chest and triceps. Leaning your body forward and keeping the elbows tucked in and keeping the range of motion short is Great for tricep development.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe a lot of people just don’t know the mechanics of dips and aren’t doing them correctly. There’s a bunch of different ways to do them. Depending on your body position, elbow position and range of motion, will change the emphasis on shoulder/chest and triceps. Leaning your body forward and keeping the elbows tucked in and keeping the range of motion short is Great for tricep development.

That's exactly how I've been been doing the press downs with the free weight machine and it mimics a dip.
Also, the seated extension with the bar is just like the standing extension like Viduus posted.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I've tried all the ways the past 12.5 years..

I just don't think my body is made for them. There's plenty they worked for.

That's what reminded me to post the wise tip of experimenting and see what fits ya. Dip may be the answer for someone.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I wish I could do dips regularly, they feel great, but I pay the price for it later...shoulders don't care for them, due to prior issues.

My staples are ez-bar lying skullcrushers, and standing cable rope tricep extensions with arms by my side, plus the indirect work from various presses. I vary every so often, but those two exercises are my main ones.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Also very important:

I would be doing a disservice if I don't say this.

EXPERIMENT!! People are not the same! If One Arm Pushdowns don't activate your triceps as good as Two-Arm Bar Pushdowns, then **** the OA Pushdowns, do the other!

No one is the same. The main point is to do an overhead exercise with heavy weights and partial reps, and to do a standard tricep exercise with lighter weight and partials.

Go find out what works best for you with the base rules to guide you.

I have to agree here, what works great for one may not work so great for someone else.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Standing behind head cable extensions squeezed at the top

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I do all kinds of different things to get the best burn I can. my tri's are a lagging part but are finally coming up. I do weighted dips and find they helped not only tri's but lower chest as well. skull crushers and single arm overhead cable pushdowns fire up my tri's best

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do all kinds of different things to get the best burn I can. my tri's are a lagging part but are finally coming up. I do weighted dips and find they helped not only tri's but lower chest as well. skull crushers and single arm overhead cable pushdowns fire up my tri's best

You should read the first post. Isolation=triceps as big as possible.

My rule is "If you want a big ___, then choose exercises that only use ___"! B/S/DL are exempt and should be in every routine.

Forgot, my pic that got OP to ask me+make this thread:
UiHlbVo.png

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
You should read the first post. Isolation=triceps as big as possible.

My rule is "If you want a big ___, then choose exercises that only use ___"! B/S/DL are exempt and should be in every routine.

Forgot, my pic that got OP to ask me+make this thread:
UiHlbVo.png
I did read it... all 800 words of it.. all basic shit. I do what is working for me and simply what I like. im building the best me at my pace and from where I started ive done damn good! be great!

New Threads