Meal replacement/weight loss

Mitchpdavis

Reaction score
So in my efforts to seriously drop weight I was told to try a meal replacement.. so I assume protein shake... then to break it down I need a iso protein?
Is it better to replace breakfast, lunch, or dinner,
lunch and dinner being my primary meals due to life being so fast pace I don’t always catch a good breakfast. Sometimes I skip it completely.
right now I’m killing a premixed muscle milk “post workout” (not sure if that helps any)
any advice? Or input?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lawd help me

Why are you losing weight?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You’re around 300lbs? You need to forget anything that resembles a fad diet and just learn how to eat regular food at a reasonable amount. Day in and day out.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
This will sound silly but I’ll make it easy.

Anytime you get hungry, rotate through one of these three things:

- Drink a glass of water
- Eat a chicken breast (preferably baked, seasoned no sauces)
- Eat a sirloin steak

I bet you still drop significant weight. Most regular human beings can’t physically eat enough of those last two to put themselves at risk of going over their daily cals.

Round out your main meals with “normal” healthy food. There’s more threads in doing this whole thing the right way but this will do the trick of starting good habits.

When ready, hire Spongy.

DeltaWave

Reaction score
So in my efforts to seriously drop weight I was told to try a meal replacement.. so I assume protein shake... then to break it down I need a iso protein?
Stay away from any supplements at the moment. None of them are necessary in your case. Protein is mainly used to retain/grow muscle.
Is it better to replace breakfast, lunch, or dinner,
Just stick with 2-3 regular meals a day. Drink lots of water also.
lunch and dinner being my primary meals due to life being so fast pace I don’t always catch a good breakfast. Sometimes I skip it completely.
right now I’m killing a premixed muscle milk “post workout” (not sure if that helps any)
Try grab some fruit throughout the morning if you can. Just so you aren't continuously hungry and start snacking on shitty food.
any advice? Or input?
Throw that fookin' "muscle milk" out the window.

Hit the fruit/vegetable section each time you go shopping.

Eat fish/chicken breasts for your main meals.

Aim for a good 8-10L of water daily n you'll be fine mate.

10 charrrrrrrr.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Those muscle milk things aren't good for weight loss and you have to eat breakfast period! Most important meal of the day in my opinion to aid in weight loss.

Mitchpdavis

Reaction score
You’re around 300lbs? You need to forget anything that resembles a fad diet and just learn how to eat regular food at a reasonable amount. Day in and day out.

thanks but my eating habits aren’t what you would think they are, I’m by no means a “clean foods” eater but I’m not the fat guy sitting at the buffet for hours killing plate after plate.. my weight issue is more of a genetic issue, low T , low metabolism, low activity... so now I’m on a solid TRT , and I gym 4-6 times a week..

just thought this this would help more.. I was recommended to me.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
thanks but my eating habits aren’t what you would think they are, I’m by no means a “clean foods” eater but I’m not the fat guy sitting at the buffet for hours killing plate after plate.. my weight issue is more of a genetic issue, low T , low metabolism, low activity... so now I’m on a solid TRT , and I gym 4-6 times a week..

just thought this this would help more.. I was recommended to me.

We’re here to help....

Checkout BigDogs transformation - its the most impressive on UG. A lot of the rest of us have lost significant amount of weight as well.

Take a look at Jin’s photos then reread his post.

Most here weren’t walking around with a drumstick in our mouths either. The advice everyone is giving comes from things that produce results. If not, you’d see 15 guys calling them out on it.

If you have thick skin, log a true days meals with portion sizes. Don’t leave out details like what kind of dressing you used or what oil things were cooked in.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want to sub breakfast with a scoop of protein powder and some oats mixed in go for it. It's not all that satiating and you may wind up hungry again pretty quickly. But give it a whirl and see if it works.

Mitchpdavis

Reaction score
We’re here to help....

Checkout BigDogs transformation - its the most impressive on UG. A lot of the rest of us have lost significant amount of weight as well.

Take a look at Jin’s photos then reread his post.

Most here weren’t walking around with a drumstick in our mouths either. The advice everyone is giving comes from things that produce results. If not, you’d see 15 guys calling them out on it.

If you have thick skin, log a true days meals with portion sizes. Don’t leave out details like what kind of dressing you used or what oil things were cooked in.

gotcha,

i am am by no means a diet pro, or a nutrition expert, I literally need all the help I can get. But ... don’t assume I’m stuffing my face with twinkies and hohos... with that said I’ll do a meal log.
Bro I’m 320 lbs.. I catch more shit from my own family and friends than I do in this page... I’m thick skinned af.. and thick skulled .. lol

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above bros.

Download an app and track every calorie that you eat during a day, don't lie to yourself. MyFitnessPal and CarbManager are a couple that seem to work pretty well. It's not overly complicated to enter all your foods/drinks. Track this honestly for a couple of days and post it up. Everyone on here will be able to point out the changes you need to make to start dropping the weight. They won't be picking on you, just pointing out the changes you need to make.

You mentioned that you hit the gym 4-6 times per week, this is impressive given your current body weight. Give us some insight into the type of workouts you're doing on the weekly workouts and intensity level. Again, be honest about it and realize that what you may think is high intensity may be a warm up for some of us.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
gotcha,

i am am by no means a diet pro, or a nutrition expert, I literally need all the help I can get. But ... don’t assume I’m stuffing my face with twinkies and hohos... with that said I’ll do a meal log.
Bro I’m 320 lbs.. I catch more shit from my own family and friends than I do in this page... I’m thick skinned af.. and thick skulled .. lol

You did say in a previous thread that your diet is horrible. Counting cals is a PITA but it's a helpful tool. You should also do your TDEE calculation.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Small changes will make a big difference. Reduce your portions & make better choices with cal dense foods like cheese ect...

We are all here to help. Any questions don't be shy.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to know op’s stats and bodyfat etc
Nearly irrelevant at this point.

He knows he needs to lose a fair amount of weight, focusing more on dialing in his diet and training would be more beneficial than knowing BF% and/or BMI.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to put in the work, post a log on here with daily weight updates, and do absolutely everything I tell you to do I will coach you for free for a year.

I will have a very basic set of rules, beginning with 100% honesty, and if you break these rules I will drop you.

Everything will be documented on your log, including our exchanges. You will be required to post your weight daily regardless of whether you are up or down. You will not touch any anabolics or ancillaries (other than your prescribed trt) without my approval. You will be required to post weekly photos (feel free to cover up your face obviously).

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to put in the work, post a log on here with daily weight updates, and do absolutely everything I tell you to do I will coach you for free for a year.

I will have a very basic set of rules, beginning with 100% honesty, and if you break these rules I will drop you.

Everything will be documented on your log, including our exchanges. You will be required to post your weight daily regardless of whether you are up or down. You will not touch any anabolics or ancillaries (other than your prescribed trt) without my approval. You will be required to post weekly photos (feel free to cover up your face obviously).
Holy shit. Accept this now, do not think about it.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

I’ve paid for this and I couldn’t afford a whole year.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score

THIS IS A DAMN GODSEND! of I were you I would be on this in a second! I started my journey at 472lbs and through a lot of trial and error I found what worked and stuck with it! I hated it but results don't lie. I was in the gym 5-6 days as well. Diet has to be consistent, desire and willpower too! once you find something that gets results stay with it and adjust as you go. im always around to help! I know your struggle as I lived it at a heavier weight than you! be great man!

New Threads