Pecs vs Front Delts

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Viduus, I also have proof backing up my claims:

"...the anterior deltoid...are more proficient at performing shoulder flexion rather than horizontal adduction...

...Consequently, the contribution of the clavicular head and anterior deltoid during horizontal adduction (the horizontal bench press) would have been limited, thus placing greater force demands on the sternocostal head of the pectoralis major. These greater force demands may account for the highest activation levels of the sternocostal head occurring during the flat bench press..."

1. Delts suck at doing adduction° during flat bench

2. The sternocostal head, which you target by getting the stretch at your pec's insertion point, is activated MORE by doing what I told you to do.

3. Your pectorals will be the chosen, activated muscle due to #1 and #2 above.

°adduction=portion of bench press where you lift the dumbbells up from the bottom, where you get the stretch

Source is:

An Electromyography Analysis of 3 Muscles Surrounding the Shoulder Joint During the Performance of a Chest Press Exercise at Several Angles

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...lectromyography_Analysis_of_3_Muscles.31.aspx

November Ajax

Reaction score
I'd also like to say that Jeff doesn't really focus on strength training, since it seems like his qualifications and experience make him more of a rehabilitation expert.

Like Hulk said, I would just focus on the bench press (incline or flat) since it allows you to work with proper volume and intensity. Maybe add flies if you think you could use more volume and some of you muscles (triceps or delts) are not allowing you to do more sets or use more weight on the bench.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to say that Jeff doesn't really focus on strength training, since it seems like his qualifications and experience make him more of a rehabilitation expert.

Like Hulk said, I would just focus on the bench press (incline or flat) since it allows you to work with proper volume and intensity. Maybe add flies if you think you could use more volume and some of you muscles (triceps or delts) are not allowing you to do more sets or use more weight on the bench.

Doing anything other than flat bench press or flat bench flyes will cause the opposite of what he wants.

Incline does not belong at all; hell even the study backed up my belief and intuition that ONLY flat bench will keep the delts out.

The study also showed how the anterior deltoid and clavicular head were used more than the sternocostal head. The sternocostal head of the pec is his ticket to pec activation and delt withdrawal!

November Ajax

Reaction score
I'm not just talking about leaving the delts out, I'm talking about overall chest development. There is really no point of leaving the delts out, just do more bench and less lateral raises if chest development and strength is what you want.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Doing anything other than flat bench press or flat bench flyes will cause the opposite of what he wants.

Incline does not belong at all; hell even the study backed up my belief and intuition that ONLY flat bench will keep the delts out.

The study also showed how the anterior deltoid and clavicular head were used more than the sternocostal head. The sternocostal head of the pec is his ticket to pec activation and delt withdrawal!

Gotta agree with hulk on this one. I actually prefer incline because it feels better to me - since it involves more delts :)

I’ve started decline benching to overcompensate. I’ll stick to what Hulk and Bricks mentioned for now. Thanks guys.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with hulk on this one. I actually prefer incline because it feels better to me - since it involves more delts :)

I’ve started decline benching to overcompensate. I’ll stick to what Hulk and Bricks mentioned for now. Thanks guys.

I understand the logic you used: if no angle=less delts, then i will do a decline and erase delts 100!

Stick to flat. Decline=lose pec activation. Your go right back to your problem, and decline just means different muscles steal the spotlight from your pecs.

November Ajax

Reaction score
May I ask why you want to isolate your chest so badly? Why not just stick to bench press and its variations and simply do less volume for your delts?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
May I ask why you want to isolate your chest so badly? Why not just stick to bench press and its variations and simply do less volume for your delts?

Not Viduus, but I know where hes coming from.

Sometimes you have to isolate a muscle group or else you won't have proper mind-muscle connection with it. Your body can favor one muscle over the other, so isolation is required.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

This is actually what I’m trying to do. The problem is a majority’s of the work being done on my flat bench is by my delts instead of my pecs. It’s a psychological issue, my brain subconsciously fires my front delts instead of my pecs.

The heavier I try to go the more instinct takes over and it makes the problem worse. I’ve slowly fixed my basic form since I never learned to pin my shoulders back properly. The bad habit is still there with the muscle recruitment.

Good news is that my delts are a great body part for me, bad news is my chest needs a hell of a lot of work :/

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good thread ... nice to see a thread a out working out ... lol

I was going to contribute add declines ... I've been doing them the past 6 weeks ... never done it before ... I personally think flat bench is overrated (outside of powerlifting) ... I'm currently doing inclines and declines only ... hard to argue with Dorian Yates ... even though many will ...

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Use less weight and focus on squeezing your pecs at the top and expanding the chest as the bottom. You have to get form and mind/muscle connection down before you go heavier.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Use less weight and focus on squeezing your pecs at the top and expanding the chest as the bottom. You have to get form and mind/muscle connection down before you go heavier.

100% agree with the last sentence!

People don't stress feeling and mind-muscle connection enough when threads pop up.

It's the most important thing and separates winners from losers.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Iso grip dumbbell presses. I've injured my front delt many times. One time it was so bad i could barely push a door open. Forget about bench pressing or any chest movements, but when I gripped the weight with my thumbs pointed up (iso) rather than diagonal (flat) I felt no pain in my shoulders and could work my chest.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Iso grip dumbbell presses. I've injured my front delt many times. One time it was so bad i could barely push a door open. Forget about bench pressing or any chest movements, but when I gripped the weight with my thumbs pointed up (iso) rather than diagonal (flat) I felt no pain in my shoulders and could work my chest.

I’m assuming this caused your elbsows to be tucked by your sides more and less flared out?

El Gringo

Reaction score
I’m assuming this caused your elbsows to be tucked by your sides more and less flared out?

Yes, without even thinking about it. But there's something about gripping the weight that way that deactivates the delts, other than just tucking the elbows

Last edited:

Whicked-impulse

Reaction score
Athlean x is who i normally watch to get ideas. But then again im all over youtube watching bunch of people tricks and form. Just a bunch of research and giving it the good old fashion try yourself is how i get by

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Heavy upright rows 4x8
Heavy pressing movement like push press or dumbell press standing 4x8
Heavy dumbbell side raise 4x8

Then your shoulders are absolutely smoked....

Heavy bench press with enough weight you can do strict form 4x8
Dumbbell flies 4x8 slowly with full stretch and full contractions, feel it, and legs bent and in the air. Make sure your balance is coming from your chest holding the weight. Make sure you bounce the flex at the top back and forth from one pack to the other if people are watching:32 (1):
Then go immediately to flexing for a couple min. In a mirror. In the corner hiding from the cat, whatever. Flex deep and full holding the contraction feeling the entire peck.

Last edited:

New Threads