Pecs vs Front Delts

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this in past threads but I’m still having issues with it so I apologize in advance for the repeat topic.

Anyone have any good tricks for engaging your pecs instead of your front delts? Other then Cable and machine flys, I always struggle to connect with my pecs and not engage my front delts.

I’ve improved a lot but it’s still really holding me back. Thinking of dropping the weight real low and just work on feel for a bit.

November Ajax

Reaction score
Check out some of the Jeff Cavaliere vids (Athlean X). I think he's got some stuff that may help you.
Lol I thought the same thing.

He made a video on that specific topic. He was mostly mocking another youtuber who copied his content (Vshred), but he does present an exercise that does what you are looking for.

Edit: here it is: https://youtu.be/NJD3WyAyzzE

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Try a 10lb plate squeeze your hands either side of it as hard as you can and press it. Have used it as a finisher to burn my pec end of chest day. You can use bigger weight I suppose but you won’t get the same stretch at the bottom.

Also while I had a shoulder injury I could still press with my elbows tucked right in. It seemed to take away the stress on my shoulder and more onto pec and tris

Last edited:

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I do dumbell champagne presses. I do a regular set of db presses then rotate the dbs together close right into champagne press. Basically 20 reps per set, 10 regular, 10 champagne. Lights my pecs up.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Do you have long arms? This is pretty typical for taller people. Ive found that doing more dumbells and less bar allows for more pec engagement in those situations. You must have to mess with the width, depth, etc til you find the sweet spot

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Maybe try burning out your front delts before you hit chest. The delts will be fatigued, so the chest will hopefully pick up the slack, theoretically.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Maybe try burning out your front delts before you hit chest. The delts will be fatigued, so the chest will hopefully pick up the slack, theoretically.

Complete opposite

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

I’m up for all suggestions but my gut tells me it’s more of a mind muscle issue. I believe I really need to focus on engaging my pecs since I habitually use delts. What your suggesting could work but my fear is it would reinforce my bad habits and I’d just feel fatigued delts.

But I guess since I’m asking for help I should consider all options :)

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Big hard squeeze at the top. Do you train at home or public gym? Wondering if you have access to a hammer chest machine.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Big hard squeeze at the top. Do you train at home or public gym? Wondering if you have access to a hammer chest machine.

Both, I bought a gym last year ;)

What would you suggest with the hammer piece?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this in past threads but I’m still having issues with it so I apologize in advance for the repeat topic.

Anyone have any good tricks for engaging your pecs instead of your front delts? Other then Cable and machine flys, I always struggle to connect with my pecs and not engage my front delts.

I’ve improved a lot but it’s still really holding me back. Thinking of dropping the weight real low and just work on feel for a bit.

READ EVERY WORD OR HULK BREAK YOU!​

Triceps had their turn and thread, now for pecs. This all you need:

1. Feeling your pecs is the only thing that matters.

2. Get rid of every exercise except for flat bench+flat bench flyes.

3. Only use dumbbells.

4. The stretch at the P. Major Sternocostal head is your target:
200px-Pectoralis_major_2.jpg

The pectoralis major's insertion point is at the sternocostal head, as you can see below. It attaches to the humerus:
pectoralis-major.jpg

Notice in Pic #1 the clavicular head lays above the sternocostal head. It is easier to activate the clavicular head. Your clavicles play a role:

The anterior delt's origin is the clavicles:
seminar-on-applied-anatomy-and-surgical-approaches-to-shoulder-10-638.jpg

Your body engages your delts more than your pecs because of your clavicles and your training choices! Now you know why and have your rules above.

Hulk, how do I make my body recruit my pecs, rather than my delts?

1. Go as far down as possible in your DB flat bench press during the negative (eccentric) phase of your rep.

2. The stretch at the bottom activates your pectoralis major and minor, and withdraws delt usage.

3. The wider your arms are apart, the bigger the stretch. Go as comfortably wide as you can without ruining bench press form.

4. Always have a wide gap between your fists during flyes. Never have your arms locked straight out during flyes. Think of "bear hugs".

5. The width that gives you the biggest stretch at the bottom of reps during flyes is the width to use.

6. Go as far down as possible in your DB flat bench Flyes during the negative (eccentric) phase of your rep.

7. Never go too light.

8. It's too heavy if you can't maintain width during reps.

That's all, folks! Remember, the most important thing is using width, with plenty of weight, and causing the stretch at your pecs' insertion point. You'll no longer have those pesky delts getting in your way.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Both, I bought a gym last year ;)

What would you suggest with the hammer piece?

Sit sideways on the hammer chest machine, can be the hammer flat or incline, and basically do a single arm crossover/press. This pretty much takes the front delt out of it and you get good adductuon/internal rotation of the humerous.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt6KSr4BOBN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=x12ompy2g7la

Not a big fan of Joey Swole, but I did these the other day and gonna keep them for a while.

Last edited:

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

3. Only use dumbbells.

The pectoralis major's insertion point is at the sternocostal head, as you can see below. It attaches to the humerus:
pectoralis-major.jpg

Notice in Pic #1 the clavicular head lays above the sternocostal head. It is easier to activate the clavicular head. Your clavicles play a role:

Your body engages your delts more than your pecs because of your clavicles and your training choices! Now you know why and have your rules above.

1. Go as far down as possible in your DB flat bench press during the negative (eccentric) phase of your rep.

2. The stretch at the bottom activates your pectoralis major and minor, and withdraws delt usage.

3. The wider your arms are apart, the bigger the stretch. Go as comfortably wide as you can without ruining bench press form.

4. Always have a wide gap between your fists during flyes. Never have your arms locked straight out during flyes. Think of "bear hugs".

5. The width that gives you the biggest stretch at the bottom of reps during flyes is the width to use.

6. Go as far down as possible in your DB flat bench Flyes during the negative (eccentric) phase of your rep.

7. Never go too light.

That's all, folks! Remember, the most important thing is using width, with plenty of weight, and causing the stretch at your pecs' insertion point. You'll no longer have those pesky delts getting in your way.

I forgot to add the reason I only picked those 2 exercises+DBs only:

1. Machines and even a barbell puts you on a fixed plane, and you can not escape the noticeable activation of your anterior delts.

2. DBs are use solely for the same principle as #1; they allow a better range of motion and a way to escape your body's preference for its anterior delts.

Go kill that chest!

Addendum: BRICKS above also utilizes my same tactic.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Sit sideways on the hammer chest machine, can be the hammer flat or incline, and basically do a single arm crossover/press. This pretty much takes the front delt out of it and you get good adductuon/internal rotation of the humerous.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt6KSr4BOBN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=x12ompy2g7la

Not a big fan of Joey Swole, but I did these the other day and gonna keep them for a while.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I do single arm cable work in a similar fashion for exactly that reason. This looks easier to get better angles on though. Thanks!

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

3. Only use dumbbells.

pectoralis-major.jpg

7. Never go too light.

I’ll give this a try! Interesting idea to use the stretch as a mental cue on what tomcontract. Almost like the trick of having someone touch the muscle. Might not be what you meant but I like it!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Several studies have been done that concluded that 30 degrees on incline is optimal for overall pectoral activation. That's typically the first pin on an adjustable bench. If I cared nothing about strength on the bench press and was only a bodybuilder, this would be the angle I would focus all my major pressing on. Give it a try, youll feel it.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ll give this a try! Interesting idea to use the stretch as a mental cue on what tomcontract. Almost like the trick of having someone touch the muscle. Might not be what you meant but I like it!

Not a bullseye at all, Viduus LOL

Your pecs don't engage because of your delts, and your delts have 1 thing in common with your pecs:

They both are joined with your clavicles. Take your clavicles out of the picture to erase your delts. Focus only on your pectoralis major insertion point. How? By doing what I wrote.

The stretch=your P. Major+minor are engaged more than anything else.

You were partly right! The stretch is your tool to create mind-muscle connection and your brain's signal to engage the pec more. If your brain doesn't utilize your pecs, it would rip off the humerus if you were to continue to stretch further and further.

Yes, your pecs are already activated, but we want the delts to be benched.

DB flat bench press and DB flat bench flyes+the rules are the answer to what you want.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Several studies have been done that concluded that 30 degrees on incline is optimal for overall pectoral activation. That's typically the first pin on an adjustable bench. If I cared nothing about strength on the bench press and was only a bodybuilder, this would be the angle I would focus all my major pressing on. Give it a try, youll feel it.

I love studies but I would die refuting it and proving it wrong lol

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
You’re always going to activate your anterior delts while pressing. If you’re tending to feel it in the delts more than chest, you’re delts could be really tight and active and kind of take over in you’re pressing movements. What you can do to counteract this is throw in some rowing in your warm up get some blood in your rear delts and upper back. Also stretch your anterior delt. Pull your left hand behind your back using you’re right hand. You can also lean your anterior delt onto a lacross ball. What the stretching does is kind of turn off the muscle and makes it a bit harder to activate allowing you to focus on the mind muscle connection of your dumbell press. I’d try that out first then on to what they listed above.