Best Bench Assistance For 3/5/1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I don't know who you are mocking, but I liked the last part so you get a thanks regardless.

I was among many World Class Powerlifters even some teammates were for a good decade and the only 2 jacked guys I know that is worth the shit in the sport are 2 people I personally know especially Dan Green but also Stan Effedering and it's because of their pre powerlifting training days with Stan a World Class Bodybulider.

Look at the majority of powerlifters and strongmen they do no have great pec'c like a bodybuilder at all.

Look at powerlifters that were great that went bodybuilder after many years of powerlifting they mostly all lack in the pecs.
I know guys that press from 600lbs to 900lbs with not so great pecs in the sense of aesthetics!

Pecs are for show they do not drive a bench you lats, shoulders, triceps and LEGS drive a bench.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Most people don't know how to bench and are wobbly because they don't know how to set up, get tight, stay tight and drive a bench.

What is the 1st part of your body that move a bench upward?

A. Legs
B. Chest
C. Penis (Only FD can do this)
D. Lats
E. Shoulders
F. Triceps
G. Anus (Only POB:32 (16):can do this)

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
What is the part of the body you use to bring a bar down with?

A. Legs
B. Chest
D. Lats
E. Shoulders
F. Triceps

November Ajax

Reaction score
I was among many World Class Powerlifters even some teammates were for a good decade and the only 2 jacked guys I know that is worth the shit in the sport are 2 people I personally know especially Dan Green but also Stan Effedering and it's because of their pre powerlifting training days with Stan a World Class Bodybulider.

Look at the majority of powerlifters and strongmen they do no have great pec'c like a bodybuilder at all.

Look at powerlifters that were great that went bodybuilder after many years of powerlifting they mostly all lack in the pecs.
I know guys that press from 600lbs to 900lbs with not so great pecs in the sense of aesthetics!

Pecs are for show they do not drive a bench you lats, shoulders, triceps and LEGS drive a bench.
I'm not going to say that you didn't know people with big benches that didn't have great pecs, but that could be for other reasons. Genetics, type of training, etc. Also consider that strength is not always equivalent to muscle size.
Truth is that lats and traps are not even considered stabilizers for bench (https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress), this obviously doesn't mean you don't have to focus on tightening the muscles to create a more stable foundation to execute the movement. The lats and traps never change size either.
The pecs do change in size and probably have the highest EMG activation compared to any other muscle when benching.
Most people don't know how to bench and are wobbly because they don't know how to set up, get tight, stay tight and drive a bench.

What is the 1st part of your body that move a bench upward?

A. Legs
B. Chest
D. Lats
E. Shoulders
F. Triceps
I want to say chest but I feel I'm gonna fail the test.
What is the part of the body you use to bring a bar down with?

A. Legs
B. Chest
D. Lats
E. Shoulders
F. Triceps
Gravity, but it's not an option, or a muscle. Man I suck at this types of tests.
Seriously though, I still have to say chest, and to a lesser degree delts and triceps. Lats and legs don't even participate in the movement.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I'm not going to say that you didn't know people with big benches that didn't have great pecs, but that could be for other reasons. Genetics, type of training, etc. Also consider that strength is not always equivalent to muscle size.
Truth is that lats and traps are not even considered stabilizers for bench (https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress), this obviously doesn't mean you don't have to focus on tightening the muscles to create a more stable foundation to execute the movement. The lats and traps never change size either.
The pecs do change in size and probably have the highest EMG activation compared to any other muscle when benching.

I want to say chest but I feel I'm gonna fail the test.

Gravity, but it's not an option, or a muscle. Man I suck at this types of tests.
Seriously though, I still have to say chest, and to a lesser degree delts and triceps. Lats and legs don't even participate in the movement.

How about you learn instead of trying to teach guys that have decades more experience than you? You’ve barely started training.

You should be embarrassed by your post. It shows your ignorance.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
How about you learn instead of trying to teach guys that have decades more experience than you? You’ve barely started training.

Thank you brother

I almost lost my shit lol but hey what do I know lol.

Powerlifting was a religion for me our teams personal gym (featured on ESPN) was my church.

I just read some plain utter stupidity.

The answer for both is

1. Legs ( Leg Drive )
2. Lats ( The biggest and main stabilizer and spring affect )

We keep the back tight as it can possibly be with our traps dug deep into the bench ( we have special benches like the Forza ) keeping our elbows tucked bending the bar not with hands per say but by squeezing our lats tight all the way down

Improper set up during leg drive is what causes the ass to come up.

I competed for many years training very hardcore 4 days a week on a schedule with my team even on holidays like Christmas, we didn't mess around we got shit done.

I had over 6 grand in equipment in that gym I had my own monolift. I wasn't even an owner of the gym!

I wanna slap this douche bag very hard lol.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. So how do you work on board presses without over taxing yourself?

You gotta watch the volume to be honest, we were a West Side type of gym

2 ME Days (Max Effort)
2 DE Days (Dynamic Effort AKA Speed Work)

Do your low reps on main ME movement then each accessorize should go higher in reps

You also can do board presses for you main movement your ME work

Example

ME bench low rep maximum effort
1st accessories set of 5's or 6's
2nd accessories set of 8's
3rd accessories set of 12's
anything else 15 reps or higher

So lets say this was my ME Upper Day and my plan

Floor Press with chains 3x3 ( 3 reps 3 set, 3 reps is 90% of your max bench of a specific movement. Got a 350 floor press 3 reps is at around 315 )
Board Press off a 3 board 6x3
Barbell Rows 8x3
Cable Pulldowns for tris 12x3
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 15x3

This don't include warm up and cool down

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know one bodybuilder that gives 1 shit about the flat bench!

They are more about seated, incline, decline and most of all cross-cables, dumbbell work and pec deck stuff.

I was always told since the 90's by jacked bodybuilders the flat bench is the least effective movement for chest development.

I'm not saying the chest don't get stimulated by the bench press I am saying it DON'T move the bar in any direction and is by far not the most used muscle, your glutes are used more then the damn chest if you really know how to press weight.

Reactions: Jin

November Ajax

Reaction score

I still don't know who you are mocking. The whole topic is too ridiculous.
Thank you brother

I almost lost my shit lol but hey what do I know lol.

Powerlifting was a religion for me our teams personal gym (featured on ESPN) was my church.

I just read some plain utter stupidity.

The answer for both is

1. Legs ( Leg Drive )
2. Lats ( The biggest and main stabilizer and spring affect )

We keep the back tight as it can possibly be with our traps dug deep into the bench ( we have special benches like the Forza ) keeping our elbows tucked bending the bar not with hands per say but by squeezing our lats tight all the way down

Improper set up during leg drive is what causes the ass to come up.

I competed for many years training very hardcore 4 days a week on a schedule with my team even on holidays like Christmas, we didn't mess around we got shit done.

I had over 6 grand in equipment in that gym I had my own monolift. I wasn't even an owner of the gym!

I wanna slap this douche bag very hard lol.
Show me one real person with real qualifications (other than "I know 3 really cool powerlifters and my gym is expensive") that verifies what you are saying.
Honestly I don't know one bodybuilder that gives 1 shit about the flat bench!

They are more about seated, incline, decline and most of all cross-cables, dumbbell work and pec deck stuff.

I was always told since the 90's by jacked bodybuilders the flat bench is the least effective movement for chest development.

I'm not saying the chest don't get stimulated by the bench press I am saying it DON'T move the bar in any direction and is by far not the most used muscle, your glutes are used more then the damn chest if you really know how to press weight.
Let's do an experiment. Load the bar with 300lbs, and push really hard with your glutes without involving your chest. Then send me the hospital bill.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You are an idiot. Picking a fight right off the bat with Zilla and now with SFG.

Neg repped.

Your fitness level and knowledge level are a ****ing joke yet we treat YOU with respect while you mouth off to people who have been at this since before you were even born.

Arrogance and ignorance is a really shitty combo but you pull it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads