So an old guy goes to the doctor for trt...

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Dave and Im from Canada.

My road back to training has been going slow. Always sore for last 6 months, terrible recovery time and I dont even feel like Im pushin it, maybe 80% effort...so after some research, (and lots of supplements/amino's/proteins etc) I figgur I have low t. Im 51 yo. After some workouts I come home and need a nap. lol

I had my blood checked. I was 6.6 nmol/L (normal being 8.4-28.8). The doctor still refuses to put me on trt.

So Im here to take matters in my own hands.

I think I have the first cycle down, test cypionate or enanthate in the 400-500 week range.

But Im going to keep poking around for the pct. I still dont quite get it. So I apologize in good Canadian fashion in advance for any noob questions on the forum.

In my 30's I could bench 225 and squat 315 with no enhancement. I was 215 lbs then. Now I battle with 185 on the bench and 205 in the rack. These are all in the 5-6 rep range. Im 6 ft tall and 230 lbs now.

Getting old sucks

Looking forward to the training and talking about it with you guys,
cheers,
Dave

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
If your testosterone is low, why would you bother with PCT and cycling? Maybe it is just me, but I'd be looking to jump on a TRT dose when I wasn't doing 400 to 500 mg of cypionate per week and skip the PCT. Why? Because you are already low and I highly doubt your natural levels are going to rebound any higher once you start injecting 400 to 500 mg of testosterone per week.

I'm sure someone more experienced will come along to point out the flaws in my logic, but I am currently on TRT. When I add compounds or up my dose, I just go back to my TRT dose when done.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
A cycle isn’t trt.
You need trt.
You can cycle later if you want.
Your body sucks at making test.
PCT is pointless. You will never use it.

Find a doctor that gives a **** “aboat” his patients. Your current doc is incompetent and/or heartless.

Get on dr. Rx trt.

If you absolutely cannot we can help you self medicate but I encourage you to go through the proper channels.

Welcome you overly friendly too-nice Canadian ****.

:32 (13):

Last edited:
Reaction score
I m glad Im here asking questions...I thought 400 or 500 a week of test was a beginner cycle, then pct, then keep up with the trt at 100 (or whatever I can get from a doctor forever). And I also thought the pct was necessary, but I really dont know anything

Youre right Jin, my current doctor is a little 120 pussy that never got picked to play sports. Hes the sort that complains about fighting in hockey...

The Canadian health system is great if youre in a crisis, but if you try to be proactive/preventative its a bit of a joke.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A cycle isn’t trt.
You need trt.
You can cycle later if you want.
Your body sucks at making test.
PCT is pointless. You will never use it.

Find a doctor that gives a **** “aboat” his patients. Your current doc is incompetent and/or heartless.

Get on dr. Rx trt.

If you absolutely cannot we can help you self medicate but I encourage you to go through the proper channels.

Welcome you overly friendly too-nice Canadian ****.

:32 (13):
You've been out of NA too long, it's "aboot". :32 (17):

I m glad Im here asking questions...I thought 400 or 500 a week of test was a beginner cycle, then pct, then keep up with the trt at 100 (or whatever I can get from a doctor forever). And I also thought the pct was necessary, but I really dont know anything

Youre right Jin, my current doctor is a little 120 pussy that never got picked to play sports. Hes the sort that complains about fighting in hockey...

The Canadian health system is great if youre in a crisis, but if you try to be proactive/preventative its a bit of a joke.
Welcome to the Underground.

As you will likely need to provide exogenous testosterone the rest of your life and you're well past your prime for making babies, a PCT is pointless for you. The goal of a PCT is restore natural testosterone production of which you currently do not have.....

Irregardless of the above, given your age and lack of recent training history I would not advise a cycle at this point. You need time to build yourself a base of muscle along with strengthening ligaments and other white tissues to withstand the force that a cycle would allow to exert on said tissues.

Find a doc that will pull a full blood panel and put you on trt
Lift consistently and get your diet nailed down
Consider a light cycle in 8-12 months

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
My current TRT dose is 150mg Test Cyp. weekly. I was at 128ng/dl and after 5 weeks I am at 662ng/dl. Everyone's body reacts differently but I would find some legal TRT clinic or a doctor that can help. Once your body normalizes, then you can decide if you want to go the other route but I would start with a good base. These guys all know what they are talking about so stick around and do some reading. Lots of good info here.

Good luck friend.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UG. You sure have our sympathy, but pay attention to what Jin is saying.

You have a medical condition, hypogonadism. Let's fix that first then we will show you the ropes when it comes to enhancement. So plan on 6 months at least to get settled into TRT.

You will need the essentials.

Testosterone cypionate
20g needles
23 or 25g needles
3cc syringes
Arimidex just in case, but hopefully won't need. Maybe 30 each 1mg tabs for now.

I would suggest you start at 100mg per week. You will need to get blood work done outside of your doctors eyes. Is that possible in Canada?

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! You have already been given great advice... So I will just agree and say go find a doc that actually cares and knows what he is doing. Do you need a referral to go to a Urologist or Endo? That's really where you need to go... That or an anti-aging clinic (if they have those in the great white North).

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Welcome to UG. You sure have our sympathy, but pay attention to what Jin is saying.

You have a medical condition, hypogonadism. Let's fix that first then we will show you the ropes when it comes to enhancement. So plan on 6 months at least to get settled into TRT.

You will need the essentials.

Testosterone cypionate
20g needles
23 or 25g needles
3cc syringes
Arimidex just in case, but hopefully won't need. Maybe 30 each 1mg tabs for now.

I would suggest you start at 100mg per week. You will need to get blood work done outside of your doctors eyes. Is that possible in Canada?

I might be wrong but Im pretty sure that in Canada, doing anything without a doctor say so is impossible. Canadian healthcare is some serious nonsense. But it's probably only a little shittier than American healthcare after Obama.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. Getting on trt first makes sense to me now. Thats what Ill do.

Being sore for a week after a medium effort workout is frustrating to me, but I will be more patient.

One way or another Ill get this happening first and take some time before upping the ante.

thanks again !

Reactions: Jin

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I thought you were going to tell us a joke. Welcome to the UG.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I hate doctors,
They treat you like a fuccN guinea pig for months before they deny you help and pass you on to the next fukN gimp.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
*side-note*
I do enjoy nurses and hospital crackers.

New Threads