Biceps Routine

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not target, but emphasize. If you shorten both ends of a biartucular muscle, it places it into active insufficiency. For the biceps, if you were to perform a curl with your shoulder raised, the long head would be shortened at both the proximal and distal attachments, so the short head of the biceps would be emphasized.

Similar to seated calf exercises emphasizing the soleus, the monoarticular muscle of the calf.

Oh, my mistake.

Yep, that should be done. I think I should've added to the "experiment" advice towards that-even thought about it-but my post looked too long as it was. So, tell people to experiment and they'll eventually do as you suggested, albiet unintentionally.

In fact, I used cable curls to do emphasis on a head in the past. Now I just stick to seated C curls and SDBCs.

Also, importantly, the results gained from trying to emphasize a bicep head isn't worth my time. My exercises I chose for the present are adequate.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
It would be sweet if we COULD target individual muscles like that. My vastus lateralis really needs to pick up the slack!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It would be sweet if we COULD target individual muscles like that. My vastus lateralis really needs to pick up the slack!

Stick to BB Front Squats and other exercises that take glutes outta the picture

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm in on this one. Back work hits your bi's hard. In my opinion, direct bicep work is just a finishing movement to empty the tank.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Reaction score
I'm in on this one. Back work hits your bi's hard. In my opinion, direct bicep work is just a finishing movement to empty the tank.
That’s how I look at it. I do one, occasionally 2 exercises for bis. I don’t have good bicep genetics anyway so I don’t worry about em too much.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
My bicep routine consists of preacher curls, heavy-light DB curls ("running the rack" 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10), and lately the straight DB at like 50-60lbs but holding all the way completely out on the bar and pulling shoulders back - it seems to help with shoulder rotation and forces me to engage full ROM and not do cheat curls. I always had a huge insecurity about my biceps so it's probably just me being weird but I like to hit bi's on most upper days.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
You ready for more science? Pectorals, triceps, and wrist flexors have a thread; now it's your biceps turn. As always, let's begin with anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology.

The biceps are one of the most simple skeletal tissues you have. The biceps brachii consist of a long head and a short head:
Biceps+Brachii+Origin+Insertion+Actions.jpg

You can not isolate either head of your bicep. Try it out for yourself; you'll always feel both heads being activated to some degree.

So what about exercises? How do you correctly activate the function of your biceps?
  • Always do direct bicep work
  • Isolate your biceps
  • Keep your forearm supine (palms facing you/facing forward)
  • Use Partials to keep constant tension (thus maximum microtearing)
  • Never allow arm movement (which isolatng biceps will cause)
  • Mind-muscle connection is #1
  • 8-12 rep range for choosing heaviness

Exercises
This is where all the bullshit lives on youtube and other media. As you can see above, the biceps are a small muscle group that has virtually 2 functions. You don't even need 3 exercises, much less 5 or more.

Seated Concentration Curls
e7f99166fe4d1182d114d58cac3d004b.png

Place your elbow on your inner thigh. Lock you arm against your thigh; DO NOT allow your arm to move. DO NOT swing your body. Do partials-stop right before your hand is all the way down, and stop right before your hand is completely up. Too light, and it's pointless; too heavy and your cheating.

Note: Use any variation of this as a second exercise. Preacher Curls, Cable Concentration Curls, whatever. Isolation, not cheating, and supination is what your exercise chosen should have.

Hulk's Choice-Heavy Standing DB Curl
My choice to start my biceps routing is heavy Standing DB curls. As with all my body parts, I focus on strength for my first exercise. This means with my SDBC:
  • Cheating is allowed for strength progress
  • Full ROM is utilized
  • 3-5 rep range in heaviness

Strength is important to me, and honestly it may be more important than my physique. With SDBCs, my goal is to curl 100lb DBs (yes, all my goals are insane), so I use this exercise to get me there.

With cheating, I mean a little body english is allowed. The less, the better. In a perfect world, there would be no need to allow any body sway. The swaying is the price to gaining strength. If you never allow a little cheating, you would never allow yourself a heavier weight. Full ROM is a must, or I can't claim a valid 1rm weight. I must stick to 3-5 reps, or my muscle will adapt more to Type 1 and its substrates, instead of the necessary Type 2 fibers and its substrates.

Most important thing is using the rules of anatomy to EXPERIMENT! Find what exercises best fit your body. Just use the guidelines and have fun gettin those gains!

Hey Hulk, where's the triceps thread at?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Only an idiot would try a 1rm DB curl or try curling a 100lb DB. Seriously stupid.

Are you not aware of strict curl competitions?

Have you not see people curl 100lb DBs? I admit, definitely with vody english.

Nothing wrong with having high goals, even if impossible to reach.

What's stupid is the standard average people set. That's why the majority of people die being mediocre.

Of course, your opinion, like mine, is all subjective. In the end, not 1 **** can be given for another person's opinion beside your own.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say:

All of you, whatever you set out to do, do it with all of your heart.

Everyone here has so much potential. It would be a sin for me to never push everyone in using all of your potential. Every one of you can be far greater than what I could ever be.

I come across as an asshole who shoves facts and opinions on everyone. It's because I want you all to have to tools to become far more incredible than everyone else and myself (laughably easy to surpass me).

Here's to you becoming the best of the best.

"And that's the way it is." Thursday, March 6th, 2019. Good night.

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you not aware of strict curl competitions?

Have you not see people curl 100lb DBs? I admit, definitely with vody english.

Nothing wrong with having high goals, even if impossible to reach.

What's stupid is the standard average people set. That's why the majority of people die being mediocre.

Of course, your opinion, like mine, is all subjective. In the end, not 1 **** can be given for another person's opinion beside your own.

i am aware of them. I just think they’re stupid. Like slingshot bench division at a powerlifting meet.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shake weight seems to cover all this shit

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks again hulk
what’s your opinion on hammer curls or even plate curls. I’ve been doing plate curl with a 45 at the end of my bicep training and I really feel it. I know you said you focus on mainly supinated work but curious what you thought about a neutral grip added in?
current bicep workout it
heavy bb curls 4-6 rep range
preacher curls 8-12
plate curls 4x failure

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks again hulk
what’s your opinion on hammer curls or even plate curls. I’ve been doing plate curl with a 45 at the end of my bicep training and I really feel it. I know you said you focus on mainly supinated work but curious what you thought about a neutral grip added in?
current bicep workout it
heavy bb curls 4-6 rep range
preacher curls 8-12
plate curls 4x failure

Supinated=fully biceps

Hammer Curls=brachioradialis

Biceps training is not brachioradialis training. Keep brachioradialis on forearm day. Remember, this is direct work muscle group training.

Neutral grip is not one of the biceps main functions. Supination of the forearm is. Ergo maintain supinated forearms.

Plate curls? Mind-muscle connection is the #1 priority. My body throws out MMC in my biceps with bar curls. Bar curling is damaging to the wrists, too.

I can not tell you to stop bar curling-your body and MMC dictates what YOU do. If you made me decide, then no; I wouldn't allow the punishment to your wrists woth bar curling.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ton of good info HS, as always your threads do not disappoint.

I do have to agree with some though, I don't know of anyone that makes 1RM claims on curls, just bench/squat/deads.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ton of good info HS, as always your threads do not disappoint.

I do have to agree with some though, I don't know of anyone that makes 1RM claims on curls, just bench/squat/deads.

The 1rm is with everything.

I have to complete a controlled, full ROM rep with:
  • Flat DB Bench w/ 220lb Dbs-17 reps minimum (Eric Spotos's limit)
  • 940lb Deadlift. Cailer Woolam's limit
  • 890lb Front Squat. Above Derek Kendall.
  • 251lb Strict Bar Curl. Above Denis Cyplenkov.
  • 450lbs BB Overhead Press. Above Josh Bryant.
  • #4 Captains of Crush Gripper. Only 5 people to close it.

No controlled, full ROM? Not allowed to say "I can lift __lbs on __".

I am obsessed with being the strongest person ever. I know the probability. I know how unlikely the above is. I do not care.

I will die never having said "I can't" or "I never tried".

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The 1rm is with everything.

I have to complete a controlled, full ROM rep with:
  • Flat DB Bench w/ 220lb Dbs-17 reps minimum (Eric Spotos's limit)
  • 940lb Deadlift. Cailer Woolam's limit
  • 890lb Front Squat. Above Derek Kendall.
  • 251lb Strict Bar Curl. Above Denis Cyplenkov.
  • 450lbs BB Overhead Press. Above Josh Bryant.
  • #4 Captains of Crush Gripper. Only 5 people to close it.

No controlled, full ROM? Not allowed to say "I can lift __lbs on __".

I am obsessed with being the strongest person ever. I know the probability. I know how unlikely the above is. I do not care.

I will die never having said "I can't" or "I never tried".
Fair enough, I think it is critical to set goals even if they are a bit lofty.

New Threads