Who does IF for fat loss?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Until a few days ago, I was training for a powerlifting meet. Keeping my diet super clean would have been stupid of me.

Reaction score
People act like there’s only one way to skin a cat (don’t skin cats). “Oh you didn’t do it the way I do so you’re wrong”. There’s no right or wrong way, just do what ****in works.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Didnt eat til 11 today. Will go til noon tomorrow. Abs starting to poke through and strength still going up!

I think the 700 mg is helping though.
:)

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do water-only fasting on average time of 9pm to 10-12pm while at work.

Off work, average of 9pm to 3pm.

For years. Water only. It's not fasting if you have anything other than water or coffee/tea (no sugar, cream, or ANY calorie). Has to be 0 calories during the fast.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I do black coffee only. It's very easy

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Spongy, can you expand/explain about taking the glucose tab prior to lifting? I'm wondering why you recommend this...? Does it have something to do with insulin? Would it pull you out of ketosis?

It does not pull me out of ketosis and I don't think it would pull anyone out, but everyone is different. Ketosis is not the goal of PSMF, it's just one of the side effects, so to speak. The small amount of glucose allegedly provide an energy boost to aid in the quality of workout on such low calories. That being said, I have yet to have a genuinely quality workout on PSMF, but I've only done it once.

Reaction score
I have done it before on a cut and honestly don't have any issues with it in terms of results. I did a 16 hour fast followed by 8 hours feeding between 2pm and 10pm with the majority being consumed between 4 and 7.

I leaned out quite a bit and didnt notice a significant loss of muscle mass, but I certainly did not put on any muscle mass.

I think it definitely has its place if it works for you. Some people just can't follow it, and that's fine. To each their own.

If you're looking for a super rapid fat loss with minimal muscle loss I would reccomend 2-4 weeks of PSMF lyle McDonald style with a glucose tab prior to lifting. I had a ton of luck with that recently while prepping for this endurance event.
I need to look into psmf. Thanks for the recommendation

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Can you expand on this please? How did you do this?

Oblivious is a cross between a guru and a genie. You’ll never be able to duplicate his results.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I heard he ate half a grapefruit a day and did a lot of coke...

I actually read that this is what Christian Bale did when he prepped for his role in The Machinist where he got down to 128 lbs. 6 months after wrapping shooting The Machinist, he began filming The Dark Knight at a solid 215 lbs. Pretty crazy...

Reaction score
Question on IF, if I'm trying to eat in a dedicated window, say 4 hours. I find it easier to do this later in the day. My workout is early in the morning. I've been reading about the benefit of getting some immediate nutrition into the body post workout. Am I hampering my results by staying fasted for an additional 8 hours post workout?

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Question on IF, if I'm trying to eat in a dedicated window, say 4 hours. I find it easier to do this later in the day. My workout is early in the morning. I've been reading about the benefit of getting some immediate nutrition into the body post workout. Am I hampering my results by staying fasted for an additional 8 hours post workout?

Short answer: yes.

If you really are set on doing IF, I would set it up (get creative with your schedule) that you train fasted, but then have your feeding window start within an hour of your workout. There are all kinds of reasons behind this on a physiological level (which I don't have time to go into), including a perfectly timed insulin spike.

If this is absolutely not possible, then skip the fasting on your heavy training days... Fast on your off days instead. Or do a shorter fast on training days.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

You're NOT "hampering" your results.

Most people don't know the cytological, morphological, histological, and physiological details concerning muscle growth while in a fasted state.

I continually hit PRs and get desired results while in a fasted state. Hell, my avatar shows how the "facts" given in AAS/BBing forums are wrong, especially for adaptations in fasted states.

Last edited:

New Threads