Who does IF for fat loss?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I know what the general consensus will be on this board but wondering about people's experiences using intermittent fasting for fat only loss. Ive used it in the past (on a trt dose) and within a few weeks I lost noticeable fat without losing any strength. (I usually use strength as an indicator of muscle loss). In the past I just eat between noon to 10pm and above all things I make sure to hit my protein target.

Im almost two weeks in to a 700 mg test cyp cycle and will add some var once the test really gets going so I thought now would be a good time to "lean out" quick before everything gets going and then lean bulk for the rest of the blast. I only really would want to lose maybe 4-5 lbs of fat.

Im a very big believer in IF for health reasons (especially cancer prevention) but not sure of the effects for a bodybuilder in the long term. In the future, I will definitely do IF most days once Ive toned down this lifestyle.

Anyway, thanks for any experiences. Particularly interested in hearing from Spongy and Hulk. Believe Hulksmash does this daily.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
If I only have a couple pounds of fat to lose, I just add some Slow cardio (post weights) on the step mill 30-40 min OR short duration walk sprints for 15 min(FASTED A.M.) I increase my protein in the form of whey isolate and lower my fat intake. It works IMO/IME. I lose too much muscle personally with intermittent fasting but it’s great for weight loss overall.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have done it before on a cut and honestly don't have any issues with it in terms of results. I did a 16 hour fast followed by 8 hours feeding between 2pm and 10pm with the majority being consumed between 4 and 7.

I leaned out quite a bit and didnt notice a significant loss of muscle mass, but I certainly did not put on any muscle mass.

I think it definitely has its place if it works for you. Some people just can't follow it, and that's fine. To each their own.

If you're looking for a super rapid fat loss with minimal muscle loss I would reccomend 2-4 weeks of PSMF lyle McDonald style with a glucose tab prior to lifting. I had a ton of luck with that recently while prepping for this endurance event.

Reaction score
I’m using if currently, I’m a big fan of it. I eat in an 8 hour window plus I’m in a calorie deficit. I’ve been steadily losing fat for the past 3 months, only on trt dose. Oddly enough I think my strength is mostly unaffected.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I find it's just very easy to do. If I told myself not to eat for a whole day or two, it honestly wouldnt be that hard. Counting shit all day is what sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Thanks for the replies everyone

Reaction score
I find it's just very easy to do. If I told myself not to eat for a whole day or two, it honestly wouldnt be that hard. Counting shit all day is what sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Thanks for the replies everyone
I count shit all day too. But again, I need to stay in a deficit and that’s how I make sure I am. It’s really not that bad.

My psycho father went 6 months doing a 22/2 IF period. Literally only ate 2 hours a day. The benefit was he at anything he wanted in that 2 hour window. Once he started lifting again he had to stop as the tank was always empty.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've skipped breakfast once in awhile before. It dropped my cals for the day, didn't even notice, so I didn't end up compensating by eating more later in the day.

I feel if I tried a longer fast, I'd just pig out when it was over.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I have done it before on a cut and honestly don't have any issues with it in terms of results. I did a 16 hour fast followed by 8 hours feeding between 2pm and 10pm with the majority being consumed between 4 and 7.

I leaned out quite a bit and didnt notice a significant loss of muscle mass, but I certainly did not put on any muscle mass.

I think it definitely has its place if it works for you. Some people just can't follow it, and that's fine. To each their own.

If you're looking for a super rapid fat loss with minimal muscle loss I would reccomend 2-4 weeks of PSMF lyle McDonald style with a glucose tab prior to lifting. I had a ton of luck with that recently while prepping for this endurance event.

Spongy, can you expand/explain about taking the glucose tab prior to lifting? I'm wondering why you recommend this...? Does it have something to do with insulin? Would it pull you out of ketosis?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about eating less and exercising more ... but using techniques that have been proven to work for centuries just seems too much like work ... you got a pill ...

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I was thinking about eating less and exercising more ... but using techniques that have been proven to work for centuries just seems too much like work ... you got a pill ...

Actually intermittent fasting is the way humans evolved and had eaten for over half a million years before the agricultural revolution ruined our health.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually intermittent fasting is the way humans evolved and had eaten for over half a million years before the agricultural revolution ruined our health.

If you are referring to hunting and gathering (and starving to death) yes that could be considered IF I guess ... but it was not optional ... today we have advanced ways to measure macros and calories .. and research that show best way to lose fat without losing strength or muscle ... fasting does work ... but controlling ones diet in a measured way like MyFitnessPal and/or increased cardio would seem to be more incremental ways to lose fat or gain muscle depending on ones goals ...

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If I increase cardio any more Im going to be considered a crossfitter.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I increase cardio any more Im going to be considered a crossfitter.

... and decreasing calories ....(not that I am any authority - I had DQ this week but it was Snakes fault .. he looks too darn young)?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I can do it this way for two weeks, lose five lbs of fat and zero strength and count nothing. Think Ill do this.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can do it this way for two weeks, lose five lbs of fat and zero strength and count nothing. Think Ill do this.

Many would say you cannot improve what you do not measure ... and fasting will not help in bulking ... I understand if works for you .... to me understanding reducing and increasing calories is preferred and keep things constant for maintaining ... but I'd be the first to say using MFP requires effort even with saved meals ... but better than being 50 pounds overweight like I was much of my life ...

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
understanding reducing and increasing calories is preferred and keep things constant for maintaining ...

I've learned this the hard way...but not in a bad way...and I'm good at staying the same forever....lol

New Threads