Carb Timing

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Recently, my cousin who is a trainer for the military, suggested that I change my diet... So... I started eating 200 to 300 grams of carbs on workout days, and as a result, I was able to increase my intensity due to having more energy to burn off and lost weight without sacrificing strength (unlike when I tried low carb diets).

Just last week, he suggested that I time my carbs closer to my workout versus throughout the day. Is there any science to this?

Now for my typical diet on a workout day:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup (uncooked never measured cooked volume) oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder in it & liquid eggs
Snack: Pure protein bar or egg whites from boiled eggs
Lunch: Lean protein (chicken or beef) with an assortment of vegetables and a cup of Jasmine, Basmati, or Brown Rice
Afternoon Snack: Pure protein bar or egg whites from boiled eggs
Supper: Lean protein with either rice or sweet potato and vegetables
Workout from 8:00 to 10:00 PM
Post workout snack: I had been using my wife's Isagenix shakes since she quit that diet and had a ton of shake mix leftover, now I try for a protein shake with some form of carb

Would timing the carbs closer to the workout really make that big of a difference? I'm just concerned that I would be eating more carbs late at night and potentially not burning them off...

So, I'm just wondering what I should be doing differently keeping in mind that I am down 15 pounds since January 01 and didn't lose any strength or endurance?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Spongey would be the man with this answer

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you're concerned about carbs during workout just get a supplement like Intra-Formance. Its doesn't take many carbs to boost perceived energy levels and I'd much rather take in 18g throughout my workout than anything else.

I think nutrient timing, in general, has been pretty much documented as useless for most people. Supplement companies still push it because it's how they get sales and the "science" behind it theoretically makes sense whe the companies pick and choose what they want to put out there. I workout first thing in the morning after meal 1 which only has 10g of carbs. I sip 2 scoops of intra-formance while working out as my sessions are about 90 minutes long. So by the time I finish my workout I've had a grand total of approx 46g carbs. That's it and I feel like a ****ing beast. People tend to vastly overestimate how many carbs it takes to "create" energy for working out.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I feel that unless you're running slin, carb timing is not important. You're body holds about 2,000 cals just in carb energy within the muscles and liver and unless you plan on running a marathon, you will not be running out of gas anytime during a heavy resistance workout. The only way you would be able to have more energy to "Burn off" would to be if you were deficient in your previous workouts.

As for carbs late in the evening, don't worry about it. Nigh time snacks don't turn to fat while you sleep.

The Isagenix shake comment made me laugh. Yeah I went down that road with my wife too. It's good advertising to the less knowledgeable.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If carbs are your primary fuel for lifting then sure eat them around workouts because that's probably when you need them most. I tend to do this just to simplify my life. Rest of the day tends to be more fats and veg with my protein rather than starch

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I time my carbs, for just after I get hungry
...then I eat carbs.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between science and preference ... as vets have stated .. there is very little science showing nutritional or carb timing is significantly beneficial .. however just as some people seem to be able to do well with low carb diets whiles other literally cannot get through a workout much of what will work for you will be discover through trial and what works best / feels best to you ...

I workout early in the morning so I do a protein shake with pre-workout (high in carbs) ... helps to wake me up and have great workouts ... I have tried fasted workouts for fat loss purposes and found this does not work for me - which really amounts to my personal preference ...

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
There is a difference between science and preference ... as vets have stated .. there is very little science showing nutritional or carb timing is significantly beneficial .. however just as some people seem to be able to do well with low carb diets whiles other literally cannot get through a workout much of what will work for you will be discover through trial and what works best / feels best to you ...

I workout early in the morning so I do a protein shake with pre-workout (high in carbs) ... helps to wake me up and have great workouts ... I have tried fasted workouts for fat loss purposes and found this does not work for me - which really amounts to my personal preference ...

Fasted lifting was a one and done for me. I can do hours of cardio that way but lifting dont work

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve gotten into the habit of having a 16oz Gatorade during my work out. I can honestly say I feel better than just having a bottle of water.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I think it's like everything else, try it out a few weeks and see if it works for you

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
high carb meal post workout for me, low carbs the rest of the day.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
If you're concerned about carbs during workout just get a supplement like Intra-Formance. Its doesn't take many carbs to boost perceived energy levels and I'd much rather take in 18g throughout my workout than anything else.

I think nutrient timing, in general, has been pretty much documented as useless for most people. Supplement companies still push it because it's how they get sales and the "science" behind it theoretically makes sense whe the companies pick and choose what they want to put out there. I workout first thing in the morning after meal 1 which only has 10g of carbs. I sip 2 scoops of intra-formance while working out as my sessions are about 90 minutes long. So by the time I finish my workout I've had a grand total of approx 46g carbs. That's it and I feel like a ****ing beast. People tend to vastly overestimate how many carbs it takes to "create" energy for working out.

It sure did sound like broscience to me. The best thing I did thus far was investing in a food scale and weighing nearly everything that I put into my mouth.

The Isagenix shake comment made me laugh. Yeah I went down that road with my wife too. It's good advertising to the less knowledgeable.

I can't believe she fell for that MLM BS because one of her friends was pimping it. She did the diet for ONE week then gave up, yet ordered about four months of stuff. I don't get it...

You seem to be progressing just fine so I personally wouldn't change a thing. Regardless:

Nutrient-timing-around-workouts
Debunking-broscience-eating-most-of-your-calories-carbs-late-at-night-makes-you-fat

I'm just going to keep at it until what I am doing stops working. Then I will change it, unless I hit the fat loss target that I wanted to hit.

Fasted lifting was a one and done for me. I can do hours of cardio that way but lifting dont work
Due to my hectic schedule this week, I actually worked out legs first thing in the morning. I was able to lift about 80% of what I can usually lift and struggled to complete that workout. Unfortunately, 4 AM was the only time that I had to get it done and I woke up at 3:55 AM that day and headed over to the gym. Screw working out with weights in a fasted state.

New Threads