Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Timing

Thanks

Carb Timing

Recently, my cousin who is a trainer for the military, suggested that I change my diet... So... I started eating 200 to 300 grams of carbs on workout days, and as a result, I was able to increase my intensity due to having more energy to burn off and lost weight without sacrificing strength (unlike when I tried low carb diets).

Just last week, he suggested that I time my carbs closer to my workout versus throughout the day. Is there any science to this?

Now for my typical diet on a workout day:
    Breakfast: 1/2 cup (uncooked never measured cooked volume) oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder in it & liquid eggs
    Snack: Pure protein bar or egg whites from boiled eggs
    Lunch: Lean protein (chicken or beef) with an assortment of vegetables and a cup of Jasmine, Basmati, or Brown Rice
    Afternoon Snack: Pure protein bar or egg whites from boiled eggs
    Supper: Lean protein with either rice or sweet potato and vegetables
    Workout from 8:00 to 10:00 PM
    Post workout snack: I had been using my wife's Isagenix shakes since she quit that diet and had a ton of shake mix leftover, now I try for a protein shake with some form of carb

Would timing the carbs closer to the workout really make that big of a difference? I'm just concerned that I would be eating more carbs late at night and potentially not burning them off...

So, I'm just wondering what I should be doing differently keeping in mind that I am down 15 pounds since January 01 and didn't lose any strength or endurance?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Spongey would be the man with this answer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,324 Posts
    If you're concerned about carbs during workout just get a supplement like Intra-Formance. Its doesn't take many carbs to boost perceived energy levels and I'd much rather take in 18g throughout my workout than anything else.

I think nutrient timing, in general, has been pretty much documented as useless for most people. Supplement companies still push it because it's how they get sales and the "science" behind it theoretically makes sense whe the companies pick and choose what they want to put out there. I workout first thing in the morning after meal 1 which only has 10g of carbs. I sip 2 scoops of intra-formance while working out as my sessions are about 90 minutes long. So by the time I finish my workout I've had a grand total of approx 46g carbs. That's it and I feel like a ****ing beast. People tend to vastly overestimate how many carbs it takes to "create" energy for working out.
    In need of dieting help? Email me at [email protected]

Asking pillar how much orals to take is like asking Charlie Sheen how many hookers you should ****. - Jin

#mUGga

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spongy For This Useful Post:

automatondan (03-14-2019),DF (03-14-2019),notsoswoleCPA (03-14-2019),Rhino99 (03-14-2019),snake (03-14-2019),Uncle manny (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,324 Times in 4,044 Posts
    I feel that unless you're running slin, carb timing is not important. You're body holds about 2,000 cals just in carb energy within the muscles and liver and unless you plan on running a marathon, you will not be running out of gas anytime during a heavy resistance workout. The only way you would be able to have more energy to "Burn off" would to be if you were deficient in your previous workouts.

As for carbs late in the evening, don't worry about it. Nigh time snacks don't turn to fat while you sleep.

The Isagenix shake comment made me laugh. Yeah I went down that road with my wife too. It's good advertising to the less knowledgeable.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

Jin (03-14-2019),notsoswoleCPA (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,253 Times in 7,870 Posts
    If carbs are your primary fuel for lifting then sure eat them around workouts because that's probably when you need them most. I tend to do this just to simplify my life. Rest of the day tends to be more fats and veg with my protein rather than starch
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PillarofBalance For This Useful Post:

Uncle manny (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 839 Posts
    You seem to be progressing just fine so I personally wouldn't change a thing. Regardless:

Nutrient-timing-around-workouts
    Debunking-broscience-eating-most-of-your-calories-carbs-late-at-night-makes-you-fat
    Proud misanthropist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrRippedZilla For This Useful Post:

notsoswoleCPA (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    I time my carbs, for just after I get hungry
    ...then I eat carbs.
    Tame your inner bitch!

Thanks
    There is a difference between science and preference ... as vets have stated .. there is very little science showing nutritional or carb timing is significantly beneficial .. however just as some people seem to be able to do well with low carb diets whiles other literally cannot get through a workout much of what will work for you will be discover through trial and what works best / feels best to you ...

I workout early in the morning so I do a protein shake with pre-workout (high in carbs) ... helps to wake me up and have great workouts ... I have tried fasted workouts for fat loss purposes and found this does not work for me - which really amounts to my personal preference ...
    HRT for life!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by transcend2007 View Post
    There is a difference between science and preference ... as vets have stated .. there is very little science showing nutritional or carb timing is significantly beneficial .. however just as some people seem to be able to do well with low carb diets whiles other literally cannot get through a workout much of what will work for you will be discover through trial and what works best / feels best to you ...

I workout early in the morning so I do a protein shake with pre-workout (high in carbs) ... helps to wake me up and have great workouts ... I have tried fasted workouts for fat loss purposes and found this does not work for me - which really amounts to my personal preference ...

Fasted lifting was a one and done for me. I can do hours of cardio that way but lifting dont work

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadawg For This Useful Post:

notsoswoleCPA (03-14-2019),Rhino99 (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    I’ve gotten into the habit of having a 16oz Gatorade during my work out. I can honestly say I feel better than just having a bottle of water.

Thanks
    I think it's like everything else, try it out a few weeks and see if it works for you

"There is no litter in my litter box" Phil L
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,259 Posts
    high carb meal post workout for me, low carbs the rest of the day.

Everything heals with semen- Rise 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast