Sous vide

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Anyone here have or use a sous vide cooker? I'm looking for some more recipes. I have one and the thing is amazing! I can honestly say (as biased as this may sound) I cooked the best steak I've ever had with this.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
They make the greatest steaks, especially when it is 20 degrees outside and I want steak without grilling. Granted, I also had similar results using a meat thermometer and the reverse sear method by cooking a chunk of steak in the oven first at low temp, then searing it in a cast iron skillet on the stove. In fact, I wanted to invest in some cooking weights to evenly sear the steaks when cooking them this way.

I used to make chicken curry in mine at least once a week where I would bag something like Pataks curry sauce with the chicken and let it cook for the required time. I think it was 2.5 hours at 145, but don't quote me on that.

Another favorite was cod bagged with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and dill. I'd literally go from the freezer to the sous vide and multiply the chart cooking time by 1.5.

I also did one of the most amazing Boston butt's in mine too. I made a rub for it, smoked it for 1.5 hours, put it in the sous vide for 36 hours, then broiled it on high in the oven for a few minutes. It looked beautiful and tasted great.

Then for tougher cuts of meat that you aren't in a hurry for, the sous vide works great. Something like a round steak or a bottom round roast, but, don't plan to eat those in a hurry.

I'll post more if I find my sous vide recipes.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been using this for a couple years. The fun of it is making cheap cuts come out like premium cuts. I can cook an eye round roast beef in there and you would think it was prime rib.

In fact I did a 6lb prime rib for like 7 hours or so and it was ****ing mind blowing.

Which device did you get?

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
I have been using this for a couple years. The fun of it is making cheap cuts come out like premium cuts. I can cook an eye round roast beef in there and you would think it was prime rib.

In fact I did a 6lb prime rib for like 7 hours or so and it was ****ing mind blowing.

Which device did you get?
I think it's called "sous vide art" my wife bought it for me. I hear the anova(spelling) is good, but this hasn't let me down yet

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds good I’ll have to look into this

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it's called "sous vide art" my wife bought it for me. I hear the anova(spelling) is good, but this hasn't let me down yet

I went with the anova. I think there are instant pots that will do this as well.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Just looked this up. Never heard of this until now. Gonna have to check this out further.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Been on the InstaPot Train for a while now, has a sous vide setting - dunno if its the same as what ye get with a purpose built machine, but like PoB said it makes cheap cuts taste premium.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a knock off instapot.. doesn't have the sous vide option...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
They link those to your phone? The day I have to use an app to cook something dead is the day I eat my last meal.

I will continue to shovel a path to my grill in the cold of winter to make a steak.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So for recipes. I did a brisket at 135 for 54 hours with just a dry rub. Then grilled on high for 3 min or so per side. It was mind blowing.

Don't cook any good tender cuts of meat for long periods. They can actually get too tender to where it just has a weird mouthfeel.

Poultry is weird for me. I think dark meat cooked sous vide is ****ing nasty... Brined white meat is ok. USDA puts out a chart for time and temps when doing poultry sous vide.

A good carbon steel skillet is great to have along with the sous vide device.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
They link those to your phone? The day I have to use an app to cook something dead is the day I eat my last meal.

I will continue to shovel a path to my grill in the cold of winter to make a steak.
Some do link, but mine does not, I don't see a need for it to link.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
So for recipes. I did a brisket at 135 for 54 hours with just a dry rub. Then grilled on high for 3 min or so per side. It was mind blowing.

Don't cook any good tender cuts of meat for long periods. They can actually get too tender to where it just has a weird mouthfeel.

Poultry is weird for me. I think dark meat cooked sous vide is ****ing nasty... Brined white meat is ok. USDA puts out a chart for time and temps when doing poultry sous vide.

A good carbon steel skillet is great to have along with the sous vide device.

I've had success with chicken breasts.
I did a brisket this weekend, it was pretty good. 135 for 38 hrs, 3 hrs on the treager at 225 then hit it with a propane torch... it tasted great, but not quite as tender as smoking it.
Tri tip steak is awesome