Bench press assistance

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I’m just gonna start and and say this may sound like a really dumb question but I’m gonna post it because I need some help.

My newest goal is to increase my 5 rep max on bench press to 325 I am currently able to hit 3 sets of 5 on flat bb bench with 290-300, not hitting failure.

My first rep when I go heavy I always find I am lowering the barbell way to slow Like 3+ seconds and when I try to lower it faster it messes me up, I feel like that is wasting energy on my set by lowering it to slow but when I try to lower it quicker it messes Me up anybody got any ideas why or any advice to help me out?

While i know increasing the negative portion of the rep can help with strength and even hypetrophy by adding time under tension but for the next few weeks on bench I am focusing on just regular tempo sets on bench but I am just having trouble with lowering that first rep way too slow

Also if anybody has any tips for my chest training to help me with strength I Would appreciate it.
I’ve started to add in more rear delt work on shoulder days as well as focusing on heavy rows on back day to assist in my pressing.
I am not a powerlifter but I love getting stronger

i am only doing flat presses for the next few weeks
heavy flat bb bench 3-5 sets 3-6 reps longer rest periods
db bench 6-10 reps with food time under tension and 60 seconds rest periods
8-12 chest fly short rest periods
and then go into my tricep work

i hit my delts hard a few days later and throw in more tricep work as I’m also trying to increwse my tricep mass

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I only do flat bench too, albeit DB Flat bench. God blessed me with a new PR with 140lb DBs at 4 reps.

You need to do DB Flat Bench Extensions, Barbell Rows, Shoulder Presses, and Pull-Ups. Get strong as **** in those lifts.

It's time you move up to 305lbs in training if you're now doing 3x5 with 300. Get 5 reps with 305, stay there for 2 weeks or so, and move up to 310lbs.

Speed is proven to affect strength gains. Don't go too slow, and don't put all your eggs in the "negatives" basket.

You're aware you lower the bar too slow. You're aware, so change it. Don't lower it too slow from now on.

Get plenty of food and water, and extras like caffeine. Strength is a mind-game, too.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
The way I chase strength (or even hypertrophy) is the way I do all lifting and have for years. One set to total failure. If I can complete the set at the rep goal with no assistance, the next week I move up by 5 lbs. I am currently on a 5 rep protocal actually so feel free to check out "Dawg's Strength Log" to see my general strategy.

On flat bench I do the one "goal set" and then one drop set to total and complete exhaustion. Ill follow that up with incline dumbells in a similar manner and then to a couple or three other exercises.

I dont know what a powerlifter would think of this strategy but Ive used it with great success, typically adding 5lbs per week or 1 rep.

I will say that instituting pause reps for ypur strength goals will help greatly with your explosion and make your regular sets seem that much easier as well.

My main goal from all this is a 450 "standard bench" so we will see in another 10-12 weeks how well it works.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your problem is your set up, and then partially it is mental.

When does this issue start? So what weight is on the bar when suddenly rep 1 slows down?

Got any video of your bench?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Heavy warm up with about 235x4, 275x5, 300x5, 325x3 and drop to 275x? to empty the tank. Try to add reps to the 325 when you can. Control the weight down but don't go slow.

The idea here is to get to 325 without already being taxed.

This may sound weird but don't look at the 3 plates on each side before going.

Just my opinion.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you even tested yourself on 325 yet? Presumably with getting 3x5x300 clean without hitting failure, you’ve got a few solid reps with 325 already.

As POB said, I’d also like to see video of your bench - minor tweaks in your set up and form on bench can make a big difference too.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I only do flat bench too, albeit DB Flat bench. God blessed me with a new PR with 140lb DBs at 4 reps.

You need to do DB Flat Bench Extensions, Barbell Rows, Shoulder Presses, and Pull-Ups. Get strong as **** in those lifts.

It's time you move up to 305lbs in training if you're now doing 3x5 with 300. Get 5 reps with 305, stay there for 2 weeks or so, and move up to 310lbs.

Speed is proven to affect strength gains. Don't go too slow, and don't put all your eggs in the "negatives" basket.

You're aware you lower the bar too slow. You're aware, so change it. Don't lower it too slow from now on.

Get plenty of food and water, and extras like caffeine. Strength is a mind-game, too.

Thanks man, I’ve actually been doing your tricep routine you posted about 4 weeks back and I already went up on my db tricep extensions by 10 pounds each hand and notice some more mass on the long head of my triceps!!

Reaction score
I’m the same way Texan. At some point the weight gets to a certain number and all of a sudden I’m lowering the bar like old people ****. Slowwwwwww. It’s a mental thing we gotta get past.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Your problem is your set up, and then partially it is mental.

When does this issue start? So what weight is on the bar when suddenly rep 1 slows down?

Got any video of your bench?

I recently switched gyms and the bench is different I felt maybe this could be why. I went from a gym that had Texas power bars and better benches to la fitness which does not have quality stuff compared to the bench and racks I had before, I don’t have a spotter with me I was thinking maybe utilizing a lift off would help??
I think I have an older video from a few months back from a set lemme see and if so I’ll post it

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Heavy warm up with about 235x4, 275x5, 300x5, 325x3 and drop to 275x? to empty the tank. Try to add reps to the 325 when you can. Control the weight down but don't go slow.

The idea here is to get to 325 without already being taxed.

This may sound weird but don't look at the 3 plates on each side before going.

Just my opinion.

Makes sense once three plates go on I just freak out. I hit 3 plates 3 times clean by myself about a year ago before I injured my chest.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
The way I chase strength (or even hypertrophy) is the way I do all lifting and have for years. One set to total failure. If I can complete the set at the rep goal with no assistance, the next week I move up by 5 lbs. I am currently on a 5 rep protocal actually so feel free to check out "Dawg's Strength Log" to see my general strategy.

On flat bench I do the one "goal set" and then one drop set to total and complete exhaustion. Ill follow that up with incline dumbells in a similar manner and then to a couple or three other exercises.

I dont know what a powerlifter would think of this strategy but Ive used it with great success, typically adding 5lbs per week or 1 rep.

I will say that instituting pause reps for ypur strength goals will help greatly with your explosion and make your regular sets seem that much easier as well.

My main goal from all this is a 450 "standard bench" so we will see in another 10-12 weeks how well it works.

I don’t have a spotter usually so i try not to go to total failure once my last rep is barley done I rack it and do a rest pause or drop set but rarely do I have the chance to get those forced reps in

Reaction score
I don’t have a spotter usually so i try not to go to total failure once my last rep is barley done I rack it and do a rest pause or drop set but rarely do I have the chance to get those forced reps in
I set stops just below my chest. Allows me to go to failure and not wind up on YouTube.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
This video is from just under two years ago, looks to be 275 for 5.
Now some changes I have made since this is tucking my elbows in a bit more they are a bit flared out here and I bring my feet back more towards me for more of a drive.
Now my tempo looks better here. But I am locking out my elbows at the top something I do not do now I go up just prior to lock out and Lower the bar before lockout something I used to not do.
Hopefully this helps, I can get one my next bench day so y’all can see my current bench form.

https://vimeo.com/325358931

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
It sounds like you are well on your way. A couple of things that have helped me have all been technique related.

1) no flared elbows. It is a death sentence for long armed suckers.

2) Find the point on your torso where you are comfortable bringing the bar to that includes the least shoulder rotation. A good way to test for this position is to decline press. Fill your belly full of air, and press to different touch points. You will ultimately find a point where you are comfortable and have minimal shoulder movement. Try to recreate that position on the flat bench.

3) Remember, the Triceps are the primary mover of a powerlifters benchpress. You see a lot of pec ruptures...destroyed shoulders...but very few tricep injuries during pressing movements. Be sure you are using your triceps.

4) Spread the bar. Pull your hands apart when you are benching. As you approach lockout, try to snap the bar like a pencil (away from the body).

5) Set up a rock hard, stable position. Your foundation to press should be your upper traps. Arched back (not hyper-arched--nobody wants a damn back cramp), butt firmly on the bench, and feet firmly on the floor. Nothing should move. There shouldn't be anything loose when you prepare to bench. I used to start sweating just building my bench platform...holding every muscle tense...shit was intense.

6) Do not push up on the bar to take it out of the rack. Don't waste an ounce of energy. Use a spotter to carry it out to you, and use your lats to pull it like you would a dumbbell pullover. Never push up. You will blow your foundation. You cannot re-set after you break. You may as well put the weight back in the rack.

7) Focus on lowering the weights with your lats as tight as possible. Lats are an important part of big benching (that is why you should always perform you barbell lat rows to where you bring the bar during the bench)

8) Consider moving your grip out. It decreases the distance you have to travel with the bar. Always remember to tuck elbows no matter where your grip placement falls.

I could go on and on....but try a few of these. Let me know how it turns out.

Good luck.

A guy, name of Jol on the forum, some of you may remember him..*snickering, but he gave me this advice years ago, and has proven for me to help. I had been benching for years and years prior to this advice.
progress.gif
Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Assistance work:

BNP's
Floor Press
Slingshot
Boards/Bands

Get your rear delts stronger, work on your setup (lats flared and tight, elbows close, etc.).

Some decent info here. (Even mentions my friend Ted, we're having lunch again on SAT).
(Looks for some sites that explain bench setup., Try not to do the bodybuilding bench press (elbows flared out, etc).

https://powerliftinguniversity.com/how-to-bench-press-for-powerlifting/

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you have weird stuff in your head with the three plates per side, load a bunch of 25's on there instead. The weight distribution of that actually makes it feel different too. I cant explain it but Ill often do drop sets with an assload of 25's and no matter how much weight is on the bar, I feel like I should be able to rep it for days when it's just 25s on there

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This video is from just under two years ago, looks to be 275 for 5.
Now some changes I have made since this is tucking my elbows in a bit more they are a bit flared out here and I bring my feet back more towards me for more of a drive.
Now my tempo looks better here. But I am locking out my elbows at the top something I do not do now I go up just prior to lock out and Lower the bar before lockout something I used to not do.
Hopefully this helps, I can get one my next bench day so y’all can see my current bench form.

https://vimeo.com/325358931

Get me a current vid and not of your nutsack. Side and diagonal from side please.

In the mean time a few things that helped me learn to bring the bar down aggressively but under control (other than by fixing my upper back position):

Spoto Press - bring the bar down but stop an inch off the chest. Hold, and press.

Tempo bench - 3 to 5 second negative, 1 count pause and press hard af.

Shitloads of rows and tricep work. Abuse your upper back and triceps. Do some reps on these every single training day.

T-spine mobility - make sure your upper back is warmed up before benching and you have decent enough extension.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
All of y’all thank you so much for your advice! Very knowledgeable! I can’t wait to try it on my next bench day!

New Threads