Training Partners

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread isn't for you headphones wearing, mean mugging, hoodie over the head types. Although if you are, tell me why you think a training partner is so terrible?

For me it's invaluable.

Getting technique corrections, new ideas for training methods, different exercises, a spot, motivation and drive... The benefits are endless imo.

This is assuming you have the right training partner. They have to value what you value and excel where you might fail.

Who has a training partner that's become your hetero life mate?

If you could pick anyone at UG to train with who would it be?

Reaction score
I’m the mean mugging guy. I don’t like people and I’m socially retarded. It would actually be painful for me. But it looks like fun to be able to train with someone.

Id wanna train with Jin. I have a feeling it’d be a war and very few words said.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a training partner to push me along. Way back when I never had a shortage of guys to train with... unfortunately those days are long gone. I'd love to train with Snake except on leg day! fuk that!

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
I've been training with this powerlifting chick who helps out woth form and gives a really good spot on bench. No weird sexual tension we are both married. I like having someone to drive me or at least hold me accountable. Lately, we are on different programs and I've seen a marked difference in my intensity.

I would want to train with Jin just so I could watch him destroy Tokyo

Reactions: Jin

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have one dedicated partner but I'll jump in with a few guys or they'll join in with me if our training days line up.

I don't know everything, that's for sure. Same goes for anyone else I train with, but between us we each have unique experiences and perspectives that can be learning opportunities if we choose. The most rewarding thing for me is training with someone talented but new and taking them to the next level. I get the most enjoyment out of their successes. Watching a training partners exuberance after crushing a long standing PR is a beautiful thing.

I'm more proud of their accomplishments than I am of my own.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think I would want a training partner. I don't need or want someone to motivate me and I have been training too long to hear about my squat form.

A UG training partner? Probably Bricks since we are both up in age, close in training philosophies and training weight.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I had a solid partner... then he went to prison... so ya.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I have a good training partner. He doesn't have a strong passion for powerlifting, or critique me per se, but he shows up. Listens and does what he's told without complaining. Plus, I get the added drive of out lifting him each time.

Tool or POB would be my two to train with. I'd have my bitch weights on my own bar, but the knowedge and techniques to learn would be priceless

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
One of my training partners tells me to go play in traffic if I miss a lift.

Good dude. lol

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In the last year my training has turned more into a coach mentality since I have the young men with me 95% of the time I step foot in the gym. A real training partner on my level or above would likely kill me at this point. I set the tone for intensity, duration, etc. Watching them progress has been more than rewarding.

Underground training partners:

Pillar - want to see that new home gym and hit some indica afterwards

Zeigler - I like ZZ top. Don't have a neck training routine...yet.

Snake/BRICKS/Seek - these guys are older than me and a heck of a lot stronger. I have a lot I could learn from them.

Jin - Really just a competition on who can wear the most bro-worthy gym attire

Yaya - Always wondered what insanity looked like.

PFM - Need to brush up on my racism

Sil and Dan - Good guys, we would just get along and aren't too far apart.

The list goes on and on.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I enjoy training both with and without a partner at times.

It can be nice to just put on the headphones, and put my head down and grind through a workout in my own little world - almost meditative.

I also enjoy training with a partner when we have matched strength and intensity, but that’s hard to find. The last consistent training partner I had was about 7 years ago and we pushed one another to be better.

There are too many awesome people to choose from on the board to pick just one...I’d like to train with every single one of you, especially those who have been around a while and have shared training insights.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’d go back to training with you Pillar. Great times and we both got strong as fuk. Miss those days.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would love a training partner but the fact is not everyone likes to come on time and i hate waiting on people, this is why i train solo, but if i can pick anyone i pick DF cuz hes talkin shit would pump me up

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I never repaired that hole in my garage. I miss the days at the old gym when the team was together. Life and time stops for nobody unfortunately.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Training partner would double the time in the gym, no time for a partner, in and out as quick as I can so I dont miss out on Happy Hour at the Bees.....If I need a spot there are plenty of people around to assist.....I rarely see people working out with a partner unless they are in their 20's or married.....But I can see the benefits of having one. Not hating on partners in the gym just doesnt fit into my daily time management where every minute matters......I would pay to see Jada and Spear workout together.....

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I would love a training partner but all my buddies are little wimps and scared of compound lifts and stick with cables only or they are the type to only do arms and chest

I train with my girl sometimes, she’s gets butthurt and she moves a little slow and I will snap at her just because I’m on a mission in the gym and I move fast I don’t waste time at the gym but she still works hard just need her to move faster lol.

I would love to train with a lot of guys here
POB, Snake and Jin are top3.

New Threads