Vial spikes [no more drawing syringes]

Oblivious

Reaction score
It's a possibility. Though, I'd recommend never forgetting to sterilize the top of that spike's luer lock though. I'm also not so sure as to how that spike would handle the dregs of the vial.

I'm also pretty sure that drawing through the spike requires an adapter which attaches to the tip of the syringe. That complicates things too. I'm not sure if those adapters are reusable. If not, each end of the adapter would have to be sterilized each time as well.

Not to mention that pushing a spike that large through the vial's rubber stop also compromises the integrity of the vial itself. Even though the spike's base rests plum with the vial, there is a gap there. I'm not too sure about the level of prolonged exposure the contents of the vial would endure from outside contaminants; airborn or otherwise.

And, God forbid, if you ever had to remove the spike for whatever reason. That process seems rather inauspicious- especially considering the spike is barbed. It's not like the spike was engineered to be conducive of removal.

I mean, it's a kick ass idea in theory. Application wise, I'm not so sure.

No offense though. It's absolutely another option if a person is using vials and not amps. If sterilization methods are decent and the vial is well made, it might just work out.

Yea the tip of the spike connects to regular luerlock syringe no need for an adapter, the top is wipeable so you can sterlize it, which is what I do.
And the spike doesn't compromise the rubber, 6 vials pooped so far and no issue, it draws pretty smooth and doesnt leak at all. It's meant for one vial use only, but in theory you could remove it but you'll have to damage the rubber top, once inserted there is no way to remove without doing damage.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
We use these for propofol anesthesia and they work great. Once I draw up the amount I need, I attach a new sterile syringe for my next dose and I am ready for the next inj. day. They would be very useful for 20-50ml jugs. Wish there were more companies that made 50ml jugs with a spike adapter w each order!! Just saying...

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
We use these for propofol anesthesia and they work great. Once I draw up the amount I need, I attach a new sterile syringe for my next dose and I am ready for the next inj. day. They would be very useful for 20-50ml jugs. Wish there were more companies that made 50ml jugs with a spike adapter w each order!! Just saying...

I love using propofol on people, i say put everyone on that shit!!!

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
I love using propofol on people, i say put everyone on that shit!!!

It is invaluable for anesthesia. Better than the old days with Brevital and Pentothal, patients moving around and moaning during procedures.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is invaluable for anesthesia. Better than the old days with Brevital and Pentothal, patients moving around and moaning during procedures.

Is that what I would have been put on for brain surgery?...lol

Mayday

Reaction score
Yea the tip of the spike connects to regular luerlock syringe no need for an adapter, the top is wipeable so you can sterlize it, which is what I do.
And the spike doesn't compromise the rubber, 6 vials pooped so far and no issue, it draws pretty smooth and doesnt leak at all. It's meant for one vial use only, but in theory you could remove it but you'll have to damage the rubber top, once inserted there is no way to remove without doing damage.

Damn. One time use aside, that's actually a pretty solid option. 1.47 per spike could undercut the cost of a 50 pack of draw needles depending on price. If test, 250mg/ml concentration equals ten draw needles. If about 8 bucks and change for 50, the draw needle application would cost about 1.60. The spike would cost 13 cents less in that instance though implanting it in the vial would probably damage the vial more. But, if it was a 20ml vial, or if a lower ml content was extracted more frequently, it might preserve the integrity of the rubber stop and alleviate a lot of headache centered around drawing. Given the gauge of the spike, I bet it doesn't take as much time to draw thick oil into a syringe.

Good on you, my man.

As a buddy of mine would say "This shit is science"

Last edited:

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol, totally different ballgame! LMAO

Dude...I was out before I even knew they gave me something...weird shit!! Took me a bit to wake the fuuuck up ..but hey..didn’t feel a damn thing during..all I care about!:)

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Dude...I was out before I even knew they gave me something...weird shit!! Took me a bit to wake the fuuuck up ..but hey..didn’t feel a damn thing during..all I care about!:)

It’s just like goodnight and “What were done!!”

Reaction score
What's with everyone upset about the rubber stoppers getting 'chewed' up with 18g?

Nobody ever used parafilm in highschool biology/chemistry class? Amazon has them (overpriced) for $30. And that's like 5 generations worth of parafilm for your grandkids to use on their vials too.

Of course it needs to be removed before drawing from the vial again, but if you just pre-cut a bunch of small squares and know how to stretch/manipulate it with little material it takes only a few seconds.

New Threads