Cycling age

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A 20 year old comes here and wants to run a first cycle.

Someone is telling them to run test and deca

You tell them no jewce because of their age.

Are you wrong? If I tell them how to cycle safely am I wrong? Is there a right age to start?

I for one will never tell someone under 18 how to cycle but 18 and up if they are going to do it, then you know it's gonna happen. May as well make the best of it and minimize the damage.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Depends on situation. Take a 20 yr old kid with potential to be a real elite lifter, and he wants it. And he does't want to be a USAPL or IPF guy - show him what's up. Why is he going to wait until he's 30? Makes no sense.

Take a fuk boi that wants to be the next Zyzz - I'll just stay quiet and not say shit.

Just my opinion

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not the norm but we have talked several out of using gear over the years PoB.

I think just blindly offering that advice without challenging said potential Zyzz Jr. is what bothers some. If they are a natural born genetically gifted competitor then great, feel free to provide as much guidance as you want to said toddler about how to juice.

Just not something I would feel comfortable doing.

Reaction score
For me, I advise against it unless there’s money on the table. Elite genetics/athletics, fine. At least there’s a good reason. 20 years old just wanting to look juicy af? I have no interest. But hey, I’m 41 and still making stupid mistakes so who am I to judge anyway?

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't pretend to not understand the balance.

On one hand you have trying to prevent some idiot from shutting down his 20 year old HPTA for life and later on regretting he ever used a needle to look good for spring break when he is unable to have kids of his own. No one wants that guilt on their hands.

On the other hand is thinking well, they are going to do it anyway, so might as well help them as much as we can to save them from their own stupidity.

I see both, but I think given the history of this board and our beginnings there are those that simply don't have an interest in providing blind advice to young people on using gear as it appears to be irresponsible and reckless with the health of others. It is a painful and long-winded game to try to talk sense into a young man dead set on using gear but I don't mind it. I know others don't either.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was dumb for a 40 or 50 year old guy to tell a 20 year old they are too young for gear lol...Actually they are much safer off then then the 40 or 50 year old..This shit shouldnt have a age ..Its should be about your gym experience and how well u understand the drugs

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was dumb for a 40 or 50 year old guy to tell a 20 year old they are too young for gear lol...Actually they are much safer off then then the 40 or 50 year old..This shit shouldnt have a age ..Its should be about your gym experience and how well u understand the drugs

Somebody will post a study saying you're wrong, but I agree 100%.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Knowing what I know now I would have started before my mid 40's ... 20 not sure but 25+ if I'd been working out and knew what I know now about diet yes ....

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There's no need to post a study to prove BB wrong :32 (18):

From a physical perspective, when you're young I can only assume you can handle the blood pressure spikes and other associated side effects more easily than when you're my age. That hasn't been addressed because it isn't germane to the conversation.

What actually is of concern is that guys are taking a gamble with their ability to reproduce or locking themselves into a lifelong TRT regimen at a point where they have no clue as to what they really want for their life long term. My goals, motivations, and otherwise when I was 20 compared to now look idiotic in comparison due to a lack of life experience. At 41 I'm comfortable with signing up for TRT for the rest of my life and have the life experience to back up that choice. Additionally, I've done all the things I would want to do that require an active HPTA in regards to testosterone.

Letting someone blindly make decisions about the rest of their life and us providing them the process in doing so before they even know who they are isn't an attractive option.

Reactions: Jin

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There's no need to post a study to prove BB wrong :32 (18):

From a physical perspective, when you're young I can only assume you can handle the blood pressure spikes and other associated side effects more easily than when you're my age. That hasn't been addressed because it isn't germane to the conversation.

What actually is of concern is that guys are taking a gamble with their ability to reproduce or locking themselves into a lifelong TRT regimen at a point where they have no clue as to what they really want for their life long term. My goals, motivations, and otherwise when I was 20 compared to now look idiotic in comparison due to a lack of life experience. At 41 I'm comfortable with signing up for TRT for the rest of my life and have the life experience to back up that choice. Additionally, I've done all the things I would want to do that require an active HPTA in regards to testosterone.

Letting someone blindly make decisions about the rest of their life and us providing them the process in doing so before they even know who they are isn't an attractive option.

Granted it's only anecdotal, but I know so many guys who started with me and cycled for years before just flat out quitting the gym before they were 30. All have kids and DadBods and are doing just fine otherwise around age 40 now. I think young guys recover easier too. Just like everything in life - hangovers, etc. Everything is easier and mistakes are much more easily forgiven by your body when you're young.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Granted it's only anecdotal, but I know so many guys who started with me and cycled for years before just flat out quitting the gym before they were 30. All have kids and DadBods and are doing just fine otherwise around age 40 now. I think young guys recover easier too. Just like everything in life - hangovers, etc. Everything is easier and mistakes are much more easily forgiven by your body when you're young.
While I'm glad for your friends, I agree that is anecdotal evidence at best. We all know the risks are real and I don't personally want to risk impacting someone for life.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
what about the whole you shouldnt do steroids until you've reached a full natural potential speil that gets passed around like an old slam pig on that score of it lol

Reaction score
Therein lies the problem. Most 20 year olds don’t know a ****in thing.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
We should ask everyone about training experience, how consistent they’ve been and diet. Also goals. Maybe they don’t need aas maybe they do.

If aas is just “the frosting on the cake” why are we giving out advice without first asking about the basics?

This is was the biggest issue with the precipitating thread. Not the age, per se, but complete lack of questions about the individuals background and goals.

We also owe it to first timers to explain the risks no matter how small.

I also think “asking for a friend” is BS. Make your own damn account.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think we should take Zilla’s post and make it a stickie. Then younger members can decide for themselves.
Agreed, sticky that mofo in a fresh thread so it's the first post. Then we don't need a semi annual "What's our stance on x, y, or z..?" thread.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For me personally i feel 20 is still too young but if his goals is to be a top dog and compete in the highest level then its his choice , at 20 my pp was on fire i can imagine my test was threw the roof, for me i didnt start till i was 30ish, and i dont regret it but to each its own.

New Threads