Cycling age

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So now everyone is assuming Phil Heath wasn't on steroids at 20? Lots of assumptions going on here... Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I know plenty of college athletes on PEDs, basketball included.

If you have an issue with helping someone cycle under the age of 25, that's fine. I don't and I'm not going to stop giving advice. I'd rather give them a clear path to not butchering it than just telling them not to, knowing full well they will just do it anyway.

Last edited:

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So now everyone is assuming Phil Heath wasn't on steroids at 20? Lots of assumptions going on here... Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I know plenty of college athletes on PEDs, basketball included.

If you have an issue with helping someone cycle under the age of 25, that's fine. I don't and I'm not going to stop giving advice. I'd rather give them a clear path to not butchering it than just telling them not to, knowing full well they will just do it anyway.
I guess I don't really care if he was or was not. Let's be honest with ourselves, I don't think there are that many top-level athletes on this board. I know I am not and have no problem saying that I'm not. I'm a dad of six that likes to work hard to look his best while balancing a career to keep everyone fed.

I respect you Spongy but we will obviously always have differing opinions in this space. If you can't look at some of what has been provided as well as your own moral compass and see that openly guiding youngsters into steroid usage is morally reprehensible then that is something I can't understand.

I get the "they are going to do it anyway" mentality. In the interests of due diligence and process by those of us who are a little older and wiser why can't we do our best to try to talk them out of doing something of this nature? Show them a better path? Isn't that kind of our cross to bear as the older crew on the board?

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I mean, we have a "First Cycle All you need to Know" thread already available. If they want to read that and build themselves a cycle based on that, then I can't stop them.

Custom tailoring cycle advice for a kid is something I won't do.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I mean, we have a "First Cycle All you need to Know" thread already available. If they want to read that and build themselves a cycle based on that, then I can't stop them.

Custom tailoring cycle advice for a kid is something I won't do.

I dont think anyone is asking you to custom tailor a cycle or even asking you to stop telling a youngster it's in their best interest not to cycle. The issue comes from members being so quick to cast judgement or cry foul on those that choose to give feedback. I could honestly care less if 99% of the board goes into a thread and states "you shouldn't be cycling, here's why." It's when those same members then begin to go on and on about how we shouldn't be "encouraging" these members to cycle, all under the guise of moral superiority that I have an issue.

I'm not asking any of you to agree with me. Make your own informed decision and decide what your own personal ethics allow for and then stick by your guns. Just learn to respect other members decisions regarding this matter and if you can't do that, then stay out of the thread.

Also, please explain to me, in detail, how my decision to provide honest feedback to a cycle is morally reprehensible as you have stated. Please.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is asking you to custom tailor a cycle or even asking you to stop telling a youngster it's in their best interest not to cycle. The issue comes from members being so quick to cast judgement or cry foul on those that choose to give feedback. I could honestly care less if 99% of the board goes into a thread and states "you shouldn't be cycling, here's why." It's when those same members then begin to go on and on about how we shouldn't be "encouraging" these members to cycle, all under the guise of moral superiority that I have an issue.

I'm not asking any of you to agree with me. Make your own informed decision and decide what your own personal ethics allow for and then stick by your guns. Just learn to respect other members decisions regarding this matter and if you can't do that, then stay out of the thread.

Also, please explain to me, in detail, how my decision to provide honest feedback to a cycle is morally reprehensible as you have stated. Please.
If you feel as though others are stating themselves to be morally superior that is a personal issue of your own design. It's a lack of agreement on the matter. Nothing more.

I find it morally reprehensible to be giving advice to youngsters on how to cycle because said advice implies consent and therefore encouragement in the eyes of a kid. While you may not agree with what they are doing, your reply to their request for assistance with doing illegal drugs with no questioning as to their background, intent, knowledge level, commitment, etc. is something that communicates you don't care what the situation is.....if you wanna take some gear then have at it and I'll even help you.

This is very much a departure from where we stood as a board overall from the beginning.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you feel as though others are stating themselves to be morally superior that is a personal issue of your own design. It's a lack of agreement on the matter. Nothing more.

I find it morally reprehensible to be giving advice to youngsters on how to cycle because said advice implies consent and therefore encouragement in the eyes of a kid. While you may not agree with what they are doing, your reply to their request for assistance with doing illegal drugs with no questioning as to their background, intent, knowledge level, commitment, etc. is something that communicates you don't care what the situation is.....if you wanna take some gear then have at it and I'll even help you.

This is very much a departure from where we stood as a board overall from the beginning.

You tell him it's morally reprehensible which is where the superiority comes from.

Let's ALL leave the ad hominem shit aside and argue the points.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You tell him it's morally reprehensible which is where the superiority comes from.

Let's ALL leave the ad hominem shit aside and argue the points.
This does not mean I find myself superior to him. I'm kind of done with it and have made multiple points for my argument.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I brought it up because of this idea that you can "see" genetic potential. Nobody thought this dood would be Mr. O.
So everyone is cool with making exceptions for future ifbb pro bodybuilders. But how do you know when someone is a future ifbb pro?
I can see genetic potential and I don't think I'm the only one with that attribute.

Nobody may have thought he could be a future Mr.O but those who have an eye for this stuff could've told you he could be a pro if wanted to be. African-Americans in general are better suited to bodybuilding due to a few key genetic advantages that they have (muscle fiber composition, etc). Add to that the fact we have data showing drastically differing levels of response to training in terms of muscle growth (we're talking dudes who build 3lbs in a year vs 12-14 pounds, DRASTIC) but not so much strength. So, if I witness you lifting in the gym consistently for 1 year, I can tell whether you have what it takes to make it to the top or not.

Genetic potential in bodybuilding is absolutely something you can "see".

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Would you also teach them the best way to drink and drive? Of course not.
Like I said, treat them as your own son to me is the best approach.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Would you also teach them the best way to drink and drive? Of course not.
Like I said, treat them as your own son to me is the best approach.

Of course not. Drinking and driving almost killed my wife and left her paralyzed for an extended period of time. An innocent victim of a drunk asshole.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Genetic potential in bodybuilding is absolutely something you can "see".

I'm not so sure about that. Hear me out. Someone needs to have played their AAS card for their ultimate potential to been seen as a pro.

There use to an argument that in a world without drugs, those elite lifters would fair the same in the PED world. That seems reasonable that the same cream would rise to the top but it is untrue. With all things being equal, it's the response to those drugs that will ultimately determine how far you will go in the Pros.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You guys keep talking about elite athletes, pro athletes, genetically gifted athletes going for pro status in bodybuilding or any other sport. Let's not go off reality here. 98% of These young doods coming on our forum asking about AAS aren't any of the above. The young athlete who's about to get a full ride to college for his gifted sport talent isn't coming to ug Looking for advice on how to jewce. Lol that boy has someone already looking out for him. Theses young doods coming on here are looking for a quick fix to Gainesville. also mostly looking for that hookup. How many of them actually even stick around? Again, hardly any. Anyway, I've made up my mind. I'm staying out of those threads from now on. y'all knock yourselves out.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You guys keep talking about elite athletes, pro athletes, genetically gifted athletes going for pro status in bodybuilding or any other sport. Let's not go off reality here. 98% of These young doods coming on our forum asking about AAS aren't any of the above. The young athlete who's about to get a full ride to college for his gifted sport talent isn't coming to ug Looking for advice on how to jewce. Lol that boy has someone already looking out for him. Theses young doods coming on here are looking for a quick fix to Gainesville. also mostly looking for that hookup. How many of them actually even stick around? Again, hardly any. Anyway, I've made up my mind. I'm staying out of those threads from now on. y'all knock yourselves out.

Nothing but respect on ya Seek! I certainly get your perspective and don't necessarily disagree.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing but respect on ya Seek! I certainly get your perspective and don't necessarily disagree.

respect to you as well, bro. sorry for the other day.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to say.....................if my son wanted to use 18-35....I'd beat his ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I did my 1st cycle when I was 20....one of the best decision I've made
It's just a better quality of life (when done safely and correctly)

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
If you can make an adult decision at 18 to join the military why can't that same kid make that same adult decision to use gear?

I'm pretty sure taking testosterone is safer than running around in a foreign land getting shot at...(no disrespect to anyone that served just a comparison)

New Threads