Kettlebells

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone using these? I am gonna be purchasing some fatbells asap and start incorporating them more.

What I am looking to get out of them is some joint strength and mobility.

Curious how and when any of you use them?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've used them for shoulders, things like bottoms up presses, walking oh lunges, etc...

Used it for warming up before olympic weightlifting.

Heavy double front rack holds will have you shaking within a minute.

Good for various styles of weighted carries.

High rep Russian swings had my glutes on fire, and breathing pretty heavy.

Turkish get ups helped my shoulders, in my opinion.

I'm a fan.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
since my bicep injury I have been using them for stretching and light movements at my docs place. I like them. do pushups on them and alternate single arm pushups while raising a kettlebell with the free arm..

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I was competing in grappling these things got huge with a lot of competitors. Dynamic movements for increased power and explosiveness in arms, shoulders and chest. Lots of old school catch wrestlers from back in the day swore by them they got popular here in US. I really dont know of anyone that I trained with or trained that got any of the power they were looking for unless they just werent a weight mutt before hand.

Personally I like my dumbbells and always thought the KBs were a good way to smash your foot.

Good on ya though for branching out.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You're just trying to out people and then make fun of them, right?

Haha normally yeah. But I am trying to be slightly more open minded. I have had clients use them and they can be fantastic tools. I never bothered to learn them as a powerlifter. Wish I had. Donnie Thompson credits them with getting him to 3k.

I've used them for shoulders, things like bottoms up presses, walking oh lunges, etc...

Used it for warming up before olympic weightlifting.

Heavy double front rack holds will have you shaking within a minute.

Good for various styles of weighted carries.

High rep Russian swings had my glutes on fire, and breathing pretty heavy.

Turkish get ups helped my shoulders, in my opinion.

I'm a fan.

Hips, shoulders and ankles are where I have a lot of issues. Don't think I will ever execute an oly lift but anything to build up ROM and stabilizing bits is gonna be key to keeping me healthy and out of pain.

When I was competing in grappling these things got huge with a lot of competitors. Dynamic movements for increased power and explosiveness in arms, shoulders and chest. Lots of old school catch wrestlers from back in the day swore by them they got popular here in US. I really dont know of anyone that I trained with or trained that got any of the power they were looking for unless they just werent a weight mutt before hand.

Personally I like my dumbbells and always thought the KBs were a good way to smash your foot.

Good on ya though for branching out.

I don't think I am expecting too much, I hope not. Definitely not looking for power or explosiveness to develop.

I gotta try something new cause what I have done in the past worked awesome for strength but I can't even scratch the back of my head.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
All that swinging they do with them scares the living hell out of me. I could just see my arms detaching and the bloody stumps still holding the kettlebell

Reaction score
Kettlebells destroy me like I’m doing cardio if I do some intense swings. I like to use light ones with an upside down grip for shoulder stabilization. Hoping this will lead to less chance of shoulder injury down the road.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
All that swinging they do with them scares the living hell out of me. I could just see my arms detaching and the bloody stumps still holding the kettlebell

It's mostly hingeing/hips. But your grip does get iffy at the end of a long set. There were a few times where I almost lost it!

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Doing kb get-ups will help rebuild/strengthen shoulders as it stretches and strengthens at the same time (due to the bell position/balance point). Do them really slow. One rep could take a minute or two.

Doing halos above your head is a great way to warm up the shoulders.

Single arm swings alternating hands in the air every 10 reps is a great conditioning exercise (HIIT), helps build explosiveness at the hips, and is just an ass-kicker in general.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would opt for kettleballs instead, it will feel more natural in those finely manicured hands of yours......

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve used them but not a lot as I just don’t care for them....do what you think works!!!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
though I agree that kettlebells are a great tool for improving strength, mobility and power and agree you should look into having and using them, I do feel that for your concern for ankle, hip, and shoulder joint support and improvement, adding resistant bands will be an important add on as well. long, short, different resistances.

Last edited:

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I have used them on shoulder day at the end
kneeling single arm shoulder press with a kettlebell. Opposite knee of the pressing side is on the ground and perform a single arm shoulder press while kneeling I like it. To finish the delts off and working on some balance. Not sure if it makes a difference using DB’s over KB’s but to me I do feel a difference

also used them for upright rows in the past when trying to change things up but will need heavier ones.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Anyone using these? I am gonna be purchasing some fatbells asap and start incorporating them more.

What I am looking to get out of them is some joint strength and mobility.

Curious how and when any of you use them?

I’ve been talked into doing a few KB excersizes using dumbbells instead.

One that stood out was this odd swing from my lower left toe all the way into the air above my head on the right. Stance with legs spread. Alternate sets with the other side.

It was very odd and my movement wasn’t anywhere near fluid enough. It gave me some respect for those movements. It’s certainly different then what we normally do. Never tried it again though :)

New Threads