Goodfellows gains log

Reaction score
Went in today and just did some random movements to keep my squat functioning while also trying to not stress the flexor too much. A big focus from here on out will be work on glute medius and the muscles that stabilize the outer hip because my right knee tends to cave on single leg squats.

did some light squat work. 3x8@135

some weird goblet box squat I did for some reason

single leg pistol squats to low box and then single leg squats off a box. I need to keep adding in unilateral movements for lower body.

Reaction score
It’s been about 8 months since I quit drinking and partying and started taking the gym and my life more seriously. About time seeing as how I’m 28 and I really had no direction. I made a lot of shitty mistakes because of my choices but the one thing that was always there and was always constant for me was the gym.

looking back now I can’t believe how much time I wasted getting “wasted” on the weekends only to get back into the groove of working out and eating right during the week. It was an endless loop of eat right, train and then screw it all away because I was get so drunk on the weekends I would be out of commission for the next one or two and even sometimes three days after.

well things are great now in my life and especially at the gym. Been seeing some great growth and even though I have been battling some injuries the progress in the past 8 months has been so much more than I could have seen before.

so any way wanted to post some after pics of my training that led up to the PL meet in 2 weeks and some goals for after. Sitting at around 166 lbs right now but the journey after this meet will be for size and strength. I will slowly start adding in some calories starting with actually eating breakfast every day. That will be an easy 400-600 calorie surplus compared to what I’ve been doing.

after I get the nutrition dialed in a little better and have the hip flexor feeling better I plan on starting a basic cycle of test E for about 12-15 weeks.

3E307252-23C8-485A-99A2-015A499456C4.jpg

Reaction score
Less than a week from this meet. I’m ready. My hip flexor is feeling a lot better although I’m still not sure if I will squat unfortunately and if I did it wouldn’t be close to the PR I would be hoping for.

today I went in and worked up to 225x2 with a long pause and a pause at lockout before I racked it. Did some light DB floor press, reverse Hypers and core to try and get my tight back feeling a little better.

overall aside from the hip flexor I am feeling great heading into this last week. Weight is hovering around 166 every morning so weigh in this Friday will be no issue. Any more training will be body weight and correctional based for the rest of the week if I feel like I need to.

Reaction score
well I didn’t plan on doing any squats until the meet and metalhead, who has been giving me some tips along the way told me not to squat so what do I do. **** it, I think I needed to hit something without pain before going into this meet this Saturday. Our gym got a new Texas squat bar so I had to test it
out and I was able to hit 275 pain free. Still unsure of what my opener will be Saturday. Probably pretty low.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Few good things. Pain free, confidence booster, and it didn't result in further injury. I only erred on the side of caution due to my history. Since you felt like you were ready to go for it, I'm glad you did.

That one seemed to move pretty easy. Looks like you could be ok with your projected opener we talked about a few weeks ago, or even dial back the weight just a little to get the first one in.

Reaction score
Ya as I was stacking the weight on slowly with no pain I kept thinking I should stop here. My opener might just have to be 315 depending on how the weight feels during warm up Saturday.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Ya as I was stacking the weight on slowly with no pain I kept thinking I should stop here. My opener might just have to be 315 depending on how the weight feels during warm up Saturday.

315 was what I was thinking also. Start with something you KNOW you can hit. Then, increase from there depending on how your flexor is feeling.

What were your sets on the way to 275? If those felt good, and didn't leave you faitgued, I would do about the same thing Saturday.

Reaction score
The bar x8 twice. 105x8 145x6 165x5 195x5 255x3 275x1 then 275x2. I’m pretty sure that’s how it went I can’t remember exactly. They felt good so I may just stick with a warm up comparable to that.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
Made weight boys! Just under 75kg. Time to refuel and get ready to perform tomorrow. Opening attempts will be S-142.5kg B-102.5kg D-175kg. I really hope my hip flexor doesn’t start acting up while I’m warming up for squat tomorrow but all in all I’m happy with the prep to this point.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Made weight boys! Just under 75kg. Time to refuel and get ready to perform tomorrow. Opening attempts will be S-142.5kg B-102.5kg D-175kg. I really hope my hip flexor doesn’t start acting up while I’m warming up for squat tomorrow but all in all I’m happy with the prep to this point.

Time to feast! Get your numbers tomorrow brother. You know what to do!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I am not sure how I missed this training log?? A fellow powerlifter training for a meet and I miss out. Will keep an eye out for your posts on here from now on.

Reaction score
I am not sure how I missed this training log?? A fellow powerlifter training for a meet and I miss out. Will keep an eye out for your posts on here from now on.

hell ya tiny I’ll appreciate your input.

Reaction score
Hitting a de-load after this meet. I feel pretty good and wanted to start my new programming but I better give my body a week to recover.

I had plan to get on 500 test after this meet but I think I have a long way to go in terms of natural potential so I’m gonna continue doing what I’ve been doing and see what I can accomplish. I do want to get bloods done to see where my test is sitting right now. Will up date on that soon.

Back is a little tight and sore but today’s workout helped loosen it up.

high bar squat- 165x3x8

DB bench- 70x3x8

DB floor press- 60x3x8

Stretching routine after to loosen up some tight areas.

Reaction score
Well I wasn’t sure how to go into programming after a meet and the routine I Was gonna follow is more for peaking for a meet so I’m gonna follow metalheads advice and start an off-season powerlifting program. I’m lazy and bad at programming for myself so I’m gonna use one of Ben Pollack’s offseason programs. Hoping to build some more strength and a better foundation with this.

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Well I wasn’t sure how to go into programming after a meet and the routine I Was gonna follow is more for peaking for a meet so I’m gonna follow metalheads advice and start an off-season powerlifting program. I’m lazy and bad at programming for myself so I’m gonna use one of Ben Pollack’s offseason programs. Hoping to build some more strength and a better foundation with this.

Good choice. His programs are well thought out as well. It'll help you learn the basic principles of linear periodization. Higher reps with lower intensity, and over time you lower the reps with higher intensity.

Reaction score
these higher volume workouts are making me feel like a new lifter again with the muscle soreness. I’m gonna have to double down on my nutrition.

today

bench-6x3 135lbs. slow 3 second eccentric and an explosive press to lockout while maintaining tightness.

Lateral raise-2x15 25lbs DB

wide grip low row-2x15 120lbs

Seated rear delt flye-2x15 15lbs DB. Need some more rear delt focus these bad boys are lagging.

German89

Elite
Reaction score

I like Ben.

I wish him and meadows would do a workout together.

New Threads