Longs log

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Decided to take some of Reg Parks ideas and modify my workouts with them. Specifically weight increases and the 5 sets. Repetitions are different than he suggested. Increased rest times. Added in calves and shrugs to mon/traditional day. Added rope tricep pressdowns into wed/alternative day. Added rev lateral, alt curls and wrist curls superset with reverse on fri/dumbbell day. Those secondary exercises will rotate days. For example triceps rope will switch from alternative to traditional and become French press after a couple of weeks .

Dumbbell day!

Incline dumbbell press 10/10/9/10/10

Seated dumbbell press 10/10/8/8/7

DB Romanian deadlifts 10/10/8/8/8

Dumbbell rows 5x10 (go up in weight next week)

Dumbbell lunges 8/8/6/6/6

Reverse lateral 15/10/10/10/10 (go up in weight)

Alt curls 10/10/8/7/7 (go up 15 lbs for the final set)

Wrist curl ss reverse 20/15/12/6/6

All done till Monday!!!!

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Food log. Just for today or every once in a while to show my weight, workout, and what I eat.

8am oatmeal with milk, fit pb, orange.

11am rx bar blueberry

130pm can of solid white albacore, tablespoon of mayo, two pieces of whole grain bread

330 uge salad of iceberg lettuce and cucumbers. Couple of tablespoons of Italian dressing

6pm pork chop, baked potatoe, tablespoon butter, milk, carrots.

8pm PB+j

Bedtime Apple

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Food log. Just for today or every once in a while to show my weight, workout, and what I eat.

8am oatmeal with milk, fit pb, orange.

11am rx bar blueberry

130pm can of solid white albacore, tablespoon of mayo, two pieces of whole grain bread

330 uge salad of iceberg lettuce and cucumbers. Couple of tablespoons of Italian dressing

6pm pork chop, baked potatoe, tablespoon butter, milk, carrots.

8pm PB+j

Bedtime Apple

Is this what you're normally eating now on training days?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Is this what you're normally eating now on training days?

For the last couple of weeks since the blood test or whatever. I basically dropped the steak and eggs in the morning, at least 2 shakes a day with milk, and a bunch of rice and sardines.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Today and Tomorrow off.
Sunday 214.2
One hour jog

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score

Bench press 135/10, 185/8, 205/6, 205/6, 205/6
I will go up 10lbs next week. Backed off on weight to give myself a longer runway with this modified program. Not doing anything to failure for a few months. I figured these weights off an online max rep calculator. It was clearly wrong, I stuck to my numbers despite still having plenty in the tank on the last 3 sets.

Behind the neck press 10/10/8/8/8
I'll go up 5lbs next week. Used to hate these. Loved them today.

Deadlifts 10/10/8/5/3 stay one week, brutal adrenaline rush on the last two or three sets!

Bent rows 10/10/8/8/8

Front squats 8/8/8/8/8
I'll go up a rep per set next week went up on weight this week.

Barbell calf 12/12/12/12/10
Grip failure at the end.

Shrugs 12/9---had to drop weight total grip failure---15/15/15

Couple of thoughts
I am dropping weight like crazy but it seems to be having zero effect on strength or endurance. Possible it is the program, diet, extra rest, or a combination of. Also possibly,

I smell zero amonia in my sweat. I worked out probably 2 hours. I am curious if my kidneys are functioning at a higher level than they were a couple of weeks ago and that combined with the diet explain the let's be honest here ridiculous weight dump.

Going to add a bit more protien at lunch in the form of red meat on my lifting days post workout. Today liver and onions!

I'm feeling good. It all seems to be coming together. Just need to stay attentive to any changes and keep on top of it.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Maybe carbs are just awesome! :32 (18):

Seriously though, glad that you are doing well, and your issue seems to be resolving itself.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
213.4 yesterday, 213.4 today. Cousin bought a store, I tried the pizza. Twas amazing.

"What is your goal" a question that seems to echo wherever a pile of weights lives. Usually asked by someone who has at least a decent clue about what is up, in my experience.

I slide easily from one program to another. From one sport to another. Probably just as much a genetic gift as the hard work I put into things.

Something Snake said echoes in my mind and frankly haunts the shit our of me when I think, "what is my goal?" He said he has come to terms with, and I am paraphrasing here, "his better days being behind him." (On lifting, or PRs, or physique) I respect the shit out of him for being able to come to terms with it and admit it. At 41 I myself could truthfully echo that about things.

But I won't. I don't like to. I can't. I'm not wired to admit defeat. I struggle to acknowledge shortcomings and work around them even to my own demise. Even if it is the older wiser thing to do.
I will fight with the pack far past my prime for my place at the top no matter how foolhardy it is.

I mean no disrespect to snake, nor am I insinuating he is anything like me, or dislike me. His statement has just been a spark that makes me think. A lot.

What are my goals for real?

I want to know something today I did not yesterday. I want to be faster tomorrow than i am today. I want to be stronger today than I was yesterday. I want to wake up looking better than I did when I went to bed.

I want to be better one more God damn mother****ing day. One more day better than the one before. That's it. That is my goal.

One arm cable cross 5x10

Side raise dumbbell 12/10/10/8/8
Worked on changing hand positions and angles

Front raise, 15/15/12/12/12
Changed hand positions and angles

Weighted pull ups, 4x8

Weighted close grip chins 4x8

Triceps rope pull downs 23/12/10/10/10
Nasty ass burn

Leg extensions, 20x5 added 10lbs each of the middle 3 sets

Leg curls 20/17/12/10/10

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I upped my calories and still dropped. I'm going to have to redo my macro split and calories. There is no way I'm not dropping an unacceptable amount of muscle with the fat at this rate of loss.

I'm going to do some speed bag work to loosen up my shoulders and jog a bit for the legs.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I like the fire man! When i don't want to do something, like cardio at 530 am, i pep talk myself lol. It works. I very very rarely faulter in my plan of action set for my goals.
You do, however, need to figure out and stick to a plan of action, give it time, and give it your honest all.
Keep up the good work brother.
And 41 ain't even old man!

Reaction score
I’ll tell you what man, at 42 I can guarantee you my best years are not behind me. Not should yours be. And let’s just be honest about snake. My best years will never even be close to as good as he is right now. Dudes doing just fine!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I hit that wall with how little you can eat for how long before it effects you. Suprisingly long. I took no notice strength or muscle size and appearance negatively, until yesterday. I looked and felt like a deflated balloon. I actually ached a little. I was way under. WAY under.
I have adjusted and feel great. I ate a metric ton of dairy and pb+j last night.

For the first time in a while I was short on time. Had a long negotiation till noon. So my diet is all messed. Up. Have to make a few runs this PM so time restricted workout.

Incline dumbbell press 15/12/12/12/12

Dumbbell shoulder press seated 15/12/8/8

Reverse lateral 10/9/10

Dumbbell rows 10/12/10/8

Alt curls 10/8/3/8

Dumbbell rollovers 13/10/9

Dumbbell deadlifts 10/8/8

Wrist curls superset reverse 12×4

Not much energy today. Lots of stress this am coupled with poor diet nabbed me. Still got stuff done. Saturday and Sunday off. Monday back at it with traditional day.

Traditional day (big 5 or 6 or something like that) day off, secondary muscle groups day off repeat? Thinking outloud.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Day off. Feeling great today. I'm going to have around a 400 calorie difference between workout days and off days. I'm also going to drop the a, b, c days program. I'm going to switch for the old school aba, bab, aba, style program. I'll be dumping the double day off on the weekend after this weekend as well. Just on, off, on, off, on...

Last edited:

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Monday
Bench press
Shrugs
Behind neck press seated
Front raise
Side raise
Lying rear
Pull ups weighted
Deadlifts
Belt squats

Tuesday
Rope pressdowns
Rollovers
Crunches
Wrist curls superset w/reverse

Wednesday
Bench press
Incline dumbbell
Cable cross
Dumbbell seated shoulder press
Pull ups weighted
Dumbbell rows
Deadlifts
Belt Squats

Thursday
Alt curls
Concentration curls
Crunches
Wrist curls ss w/reverse

Friday
Bench press
Military press
Pullups weighted
Deadlifts
Belt squats
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Barbell calf raises.

Saturday, Sunday off.

Calorie increase by 500-700 from current adjusted.
Macro split 45% carbs, 25% fats, 30% protein
Its time.

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Is your shoulder ready for all that pressing in a week? Also, deads 3x in a week? No thanks bro.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Is your shoulder ready for all that pressing in a week? Also, deads 3x in a week? No thanks bro.

I think the shoulder will be fine.
I figured the big five is a skeleton. It's worked so there is a chest back day, leg day, shoulders traps day. I'll go high volume to heavy on the groups day and probably 3x 60%,80%100% of the working weight for the non day bodypart exercises.

For example
Friday
Bench press x3
Military press x3
Pullups weighted x3
Deadlifts x3
Belt squats x5
Leg extensions x4
Leg curls x4
Barbell calf raises x5

On chest back day (Wednesday) I would do my high volume deadlifts. Warm up increasing weight ending in a set of 3.

The other days will just be 60% 80% 100% of working weight.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I'm convinced that its frequency first Volume+weight second for growth. When my chest was lagging to get rapid growth I hit it harder and more often. That's always worked for me. This is a mix of both.
I guess you could say quantity over quality of workout. My last program was lacking. This is how I intend to fix it.
I'll adjust my diet so I am able to to reap all the benefits of what I am doing and there is no question that it works. I will take mesurements tomorrow.
I am absolutely convinced this will work.

I am working the main muscle groups 3 times a week. The secondary once and abs twice a week. Once a week every muscle group gets a higher volume and weight workout.

Secondary days are very short workouts. Two days are complete rest.

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Good stuff man. You know what works for you through your trials and errors.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Good stuff man. You know what works for you through your trials and errors.

We will see if I do. I have been gaining muscle slowly while dropping fat. I'm going to focus on the building muscle, not the dropping fat. I'll keep it in check, but I am putting muscle gain first now.

New Threads