Longs log

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I cut my protien way back to near 100g per day a couple of days ago. I upped my carbs and kept my fats near the same for a total loss.

Traditional day

Bench press 45/15, 95/10, 135/10, 185/8, 205/6, 230/3, 230/3, 230/2(shoulder failed on the third rep)205/3(shoulder gave out on rep 4)

Push press 5x11 went up 5lbs lol

Deadlifts 4x9 jump of 40lbs, 20lbs, 20lbs

Bent barbell rows 4x10

Front squats 4x10 went up 20lbs.

The amonia smell is very faint.

Last edited:

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I cut my protien way back to near 100g per day a couple of days ago. I upped my carbs and kept my fats near the same for a total loss.

Traditional day

Bench press 45/15, 95/10, 135/10, 185/8, 205/6, 230/3, 230/3, 230/2(shoulder failed on the third rep)205/3(shoulder gave out on rep 4)

Push press 5x11 went up 5lbs lol

Deadlifts 4x9 jump of 40lbs, 20lbs, 20lbs

Bent barbell rows 4x10

Front squats 4x10 went up 20lbs.

The amonia smell is very faint.

What'd you change in order to reduce the ammonia?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
What'd you change in order to reduce the ammonia?

I cut protien way back, dropped the BCAAs, stopped the creatine and any powdered concentrated protein.
The only thing I take that isnt a food in its natural state if you will is fit pb.
I also cut back the number of meals.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah I sometimes stink to high heaven of ammonia when heavy sweating. Never gave it much thought. Is it bad for you?

I hope you are doing ok. I definitely listen to my body. Getting big hurts like a mother but it’s worth it. There is a difference between working through the gains and working through pain that is injury related. I’m just now getting in tune with all of that.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah I sometimes stink to high heaven of ammonia when heavy sweating. Never gave it much thought. Is it bad for you?

I hope you are doing ok. I definitely listen to my body. Getting big hurts like a mother but it’s worth it. There is a difference between working through the gains and working through pain that is injury related. I’m just now getting in tune with all of that.

Long distance runners sometimes smell of amonia as they switch to protein as a fuel source on long runs.

Sometimes it can he from a buildup in workout clothing.

I was tested and told the reason is I have (hopefully temporary) lowered kidney function. The doctor is saying it might be from taking creatine and is going to test me in a month to see if it gets better.

Basically your body is using protein as a fuel source and a byproduct of that is ammonia buildup and if the kidneys can't deal with it it can become a very serious issue. You sweat it out instead of pee it out.

I was told to drop the protien levels and creatine so I did.

Interestingly CJ and I both seemed to he pondering the same thing. I was on a high protein low carb diet for a long time. Perhaps it was not the creatine and my body adapted to the lack of carbs and fats and started seeing protein as a fuel source.

Or I could just have bad kidneys, time will tell.

I am dropping bodyfat pretty quickly and so far my strength isn't taking a real hit according to this Monday and last mondays Monday's numbers.

And thank you for the concern. I'm doing ok. I just am logging everything here. Perhaps someone can learn from my mistakes and/or pick up a program that fits them. So if I feel like dog ass I record it.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Long distance runners sometimes smell of amonia as they switch to protein as a fuel source on long runs.

Sometimes it can he from a buildup in workout clothing.

I was tested and told the reason is I have (hopefully temporary) lowered kidney function. The doctor is saying it might be from taking creatine and is going to test me in a month to see if it gets better.

Basically your body is using protein as a fuel source and a byproduct of that is ammonia buildup and if the kidneys can't deal with it it can become a very serious issue. You sweat it out instead of pee it out.

I was told to drop the protien levels and creatine so I did.

Interestingly CJ and I both seemed to he pondering the same thing. I was on a high protein low carb diet for a long time. Perhaps it was not the creatine and my body adapted to the lack of carbs and fats and started seeing protein as a fuel source.

Or I could just have bad kidneys, time will tell.

I am dropping bodyfat pretty quickly and so far my strength isn't taking a real hit according to this Monday and last mondays Monday's numbers.

That’s very interesting and it was usually after long runs. I need to quit that shit. I was doing a lower carb deal for a minute but I didn’t have the juice to make it through workouts so I switched up to a 40/40/20 macro split. I struggle staying the course of lean gains and being patient. Part of me wants to go keto and drop weight quicker but I know i will sacrifice muscle too.

You are kicking ass. Keep it up dude!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
That’s very interesting and it was usually after long runs. I need to quit that shit. I was doing a lower carb deal for a minute but I didn’t have the juice to make it through workouts so I switched up to a 40/40/20 macro split. I struggle staying the course of lean gains and being patient. Part of me wants to go keto and drop weight quicker but I know i will sacrifice muscle too.

You are kicking ass. Keep it up dude!

Arnold Schwarzenegger said in the encyclopedia he seldom went below a 40% carbs, 20% fats, 40% protein split even when cutting. Seems that's a good split. I have done it and felt great.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Hoping for the best bro.

Any idea what is going on with the shoulder? Still trying to cut to below 200?

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I cut protien way back, dropped the BCAAs, stopped the creatine and any powdered concentrated protein.
The only thing I take that isnt a food in its natural state if you will is fit pb.
I also cut back the number of meals.

Okay. Awesome job on the progress.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Hoping for the best bro.

Any idea what is going on with the shoulder? Still trying to cut to below 200?

Thank you.

I have had a rotator issue for a long time. It only bothers me on certain things. Mostly throwing. Last week after doing the big 5 I had an ache in my armpit and upper chest shoulder. I think it is a minor muscle pull (bent rows I believe)combined with my old injury. It seems to be getting a little better. When it's done on pressing movements, it's done.

I'm just going for a lower bodyfat % at this point. I want my lifts to slowly get heavier. When my BF gets low enough I want to add individual group exercises back in and balance things out. No real goal other than that.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Good to see ye incorporating rest days in yer programming. I've seen too many guys burn themselves out / fry their CNS with an overzealous approach to the iron.

Thank you. Days off I struggle with. I want to fill the days with lifting even though I know it is counterproductive.

Long

Elite
Reaction score

Cable cross 10/8/8/8/8 (went up in reps on the first set)

Clean and press 4x11 (went up one rep per set)

Pull ups 4x11 (same as last week)

Chin ups 4x8 (removed good mornings)

Leg ext 4x20 (went up 8 reps total from last week)

Leg curls 20/18/15/15 (went up 12 reps from last week)

Still have a faint smell of ammonia but I can't smell it at all in my shirt. Just faintly in my hat.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
do you have a goal weight and if so what is it bud?

Long

Elite
Reaction score
do you have a goal weight and if so what is it bud?

It was 199. Now it's just lower bf%. I did however say I would post up a pick at 199 and still will. I'm adding some muscle as I cut. I'm feeling it with these extra days off. I may switch out my 3 day entire body program for a modified old school 3 day program like the one Park gave Arnold. I think honestly lean out I would be in the low 190s at the moment.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You're doing a lot of program hopping lately. Find one you like gawd dammit! :32 (20):

Long

Elite
Reaction score
You're doing a lot of program hopping lately. Find one you like gawd dammit! :32 (20):

Lol. I like to switch it up every month or so. Arnold's body split and Girondas 8x8s seems to be the most effective.

My approach to the weight I use is less than ideal. I have been reading old magazines with parks system in it. Mine mirrors it in that it is the entire body 3 days a week. Mine pales in comparison to his when it comes to hitting the entire body.

His system of weight increases in a 5 set system with the first two sets being warm up with x% of weight makes a lot of sense.

I am not fat anymore and a lot stronger in no small part thanks to help from you and metal as well as a couple others here. Thank you for the help.

If you are curious I'm thinking a good entire body three days a week this fall and winter followed by an 8x8 program this spring and summer is the direction I am heading in.

Reactions: CJ

New Threads