Problem working my lats

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Initiate your back rows and pull downs with elbows to use the lats to do the pulling. If that doesn’t make sense try this to understand
Have someone cup your elbows and then perform a lat pulldown motion by starting with your elbows and focusing on using the lats. Shows you what it should feel like and should help you figure out how to use your lats and not your biceps

And like other members said try s hook grip or straps.

i don’t “feel the burn” in my lats either but they do grow

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Initiate your back rows and pull downs with elbows to use the lats to do the pulling. If that doesn’t make sense try this to understand
Have someone cup your elbows and then perform a lat pulldown motion by starting with your elbows and focusing on using the lats. Shows you what it should feel like and should help you figure out how to use your lats and not your biceps

And like other members said try s hook grip or straps.

i don’t “feel the burn” in my lats either but they do grow

I always try to imagine my hands are the hooks and I just use my elbows/lat mind muscle connection. I like hearing you use that method as well.

Max

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I always try to imagine my hands are the hooks and I just use my elbows/lat mind muscle connection. I like hearing you use that method as well.

Max

yes I do the same thing too, but I had a trainer at the gym I was working out back in high school come up and give me some tips and that was one of them he’d cup my elbows and say initiate the movement with the elbows rather than just pull it all with the biceps.
this method also helps for shoulder raises.
just like the lateral raise machine with the pad
where your elbows go. Not sure if that makes any sense?

IronDarling

Lady Member
Reaction score
Could also be you might not be using the full effective range of motion for the particular exercises.

Also, make sure you're initiating the movement with your back muscles and not your arms.

Another guess.
This
Hold. your.core.
It will force you to be in correct posture and not lead with your arms/accessory groups.
Also, I always do sets with slow (almost stall) and partial reps in between. Ive noticed huge differences when you don't let muscle relax.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Is snatch grip just super wide? Near the collars?

A snatch grip dl is not a conventional dl with a wide grip. At the top you should look like you are about to pop the bar overhead and your shoulders will be out over some.

Reactions: Jin

Whicked-impulse

Reaction score
Thanks man might have to try that just to see if it really make a difference for me