Close grip incline press??

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
My buddy has been doing close grip barbell or smith machine press for his triceps
any point or benefit to doing close grip bench press on an incline rather than flat?

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
It seems like there are more efficient ways to work the triceps. I understand hitting it at different angles but I would think incline exercises for hitting the chest at a different angle, not triceps.

EDIT: I also think that it may cause some impingement in your joint.

Last edited:

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He should try doing floor presses. Those will put a good pump on the tri’s.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The long head of the tricep is stretched a big more, so it's variety.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect there to be any worthwhile benefit for the triceps in doing CG incline vs flat.

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
Try one set and you'll see.
Feel like this should have been reply #1

OP, there are primary, secondary and tertiary (spelled that 5 times before I got it right) muscle groups used in whatever exercise your doing. Start with an exercise that uses the intended muscle group as a primary first, then you can narrow down exercises for a part of that specific muscle you want to focus on. Keep symmetry as a goal (not having a bulky lateral head tricep with no long head tri). Switch your routine up based on progression to keep things looking right. The "my buddy does xyz" may be what he needs but not what you should be doing. Hope that makes sense, gl

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Feel like this should have been reply #1

OP, there are primary, secondary and tertiary (spelled that 5 times before I got it right) muscle groups used in whatever exercise your doing. Start with an exercise that uses the intended muscle group as a primary first, then you can narrow down exercises for a part of that specific muscle you want to focus on. Keep symmetry as a goal (not having a bulky lateral head tricep with no long head tri). Switch your routine up based on progression to keep things looking right. The "my buddy does xyz" may be what he needs but not what you should be doing. Hope that makes sense, gl

Ya I understand that thanks, wasn’t the point of this thread though. “Try one set an you’ll see” is what snake typed in reference to it hammering your shoulders

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like close-grips have their ups and downs.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Close grip's a waste of time unless done flat and used as an exercise to gain more bench press strength

elena

Lady Member
Reaction score
yes i do this too and it is effective.

New Threads