Hello From AZ, USA

Reaction score
Hello, I have greatly enjoyed my time reading on UG and feel like it is time to introduce myself. I am 40 and live in Arizona. I've been particularly overweight most of my life. This has only gotten worse with age and starting a family.

I have been working out in the gym about 2 times a week for the last 18 months, this has increased to 7 days a week for the last 90 days. Cardio every day (30 mins), one day a week w/ no weights. I am doing a push, pull, legs routine. I was 280lbs around nov 2018, currently at 250lbs (5'10") with more LBM. Still I would guess my bf% to be around 36%. Everything I read says I am i) too novice into training to consider a cycle, ii) too fat, and iii) probably lack the discipline to properly employ one.

What I am really looking for advice on how to improve on what I have already been able to accomplish. I love going to the gym. I hate dieting but see the immediate need to clean up my nutrition. If I am to be honest, I also need to address a my alcohol consumption as I am sure that current levels are a major contributor to a litany of health concerns and my unwillingness to adhere to a proper diet. Thank you for having me.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you're ever in Scottsdale swing by Peak Nutrition and tell the Viking what's up.

Welcome

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG. You have most of the good parts going already, gradually clean up your diet and stick with it as long as you can then it becomes normal. Spongy is the man to talk to for this.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome brother. Unfortunately diet is king when it comes to weight, both losing and gaining.

One cautionary note: don’t burn out. Consistency is key. IMO working out 7 days a week is no Bueno. Take a rest day. Your body needs it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to ugbb. Looking forward to following your progress. Everyone here is helpful. Reach out if you need any advice.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG from a fellow AZ resident. Stick with it man, consistency is the key (diet and exercise) - but gotta learn to take a rest too.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG. Congrats on the weight loss and keep it up. And I agree with Jin
try taking a rest day. 7 days a week is a lot
of at least on the 7th do something real easy, yoga, walk etc. always good to give the body a rest. Welcome again, glad to have you!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Rest days are the best days, now I sip champagne when I'm thirst-aaaa.

My inner ghetto, mixing with my middle age cracker ass.

Welcome. I might be on the spectrum.

Reaction score
Thank you to the guys that replied. It does means a lot to me.

Okay, one thing I heard was that I should rest more. My thoughts: I believed that a PPL routine provided enough rest to the major muscle group. Basically, I do Push & Tris and Pull and Bis then legs twice per week with a one-day rest. When I say seven days a week, I mean I'm in the gym 7 days but one day is not weight lifting. I am definitely interested in listening to advice and will take it to heart. The 7th day is currently only 30 mins of elliptical. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Texan for realizing that the weight loss was huge for ME, but I still realize I have a long way to go.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Thank you to the guys that replied. It does means a lot to me.

Okay, one thing I heard was that I should rest more. My thoughts: I believed that a PPL routine provided enough rest to the major muscle group. Basically, I do Push & Tris and Pull and Bis then legs twice per week with a one-day rest. When I say seven days a week, I mean I'm in the gym 7 days but one day is not weight lifting. I am definitely interested in listening to advice and will take it to heart. The 7th day is currently only 30 mins of elliptical. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Texan for realizing that the weight loss was huge for ME, but I still realize I have a long way to go.

I would still take a day off without any strenuous exercise or activity your body and Central nervous system as a whole needs rest. Or else you could become burned out, unmotivated or risk injuries. Yes PPL will provide enough rest days between working he muscle again for most depending on volume and intensity but still wise to take one to away from gym or exercise. You may have a long way to go but you still came a long way and for that much respect!! Progress is progress keep it up!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Maybe turn that extra off day into an outdoor day. Go hiking, bike riding, swimming, whatever floats your airplane.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome and good job on the progress! Diet is everything like these guys are saying. Rest is important too.

Reaction score
Thank guys, I will stay out of the gym on the 7th day. The weather is still decent here so maybe something gentle pace outside as to CJ275's recommendation. I'm sure I would have hit a wall pretty soon or hurt myself. Honestly, injury scares me the most because that could keep me out of the gym and therefore progress but also, I think part of my new found "dedication" stems from a very real fear that if I back away from it, I'll regress back into my habits of non-exercise.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You have done well for yourself so far. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Pace yourself so you don't get burnt out. By all means, like these fine people have said. Don't forget to rest. You body needs it.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to ug

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have gotten my bloods done and have a clinic willing to start me on TRT. Given my current goals do you think this is a good idea?

*I'm trying to upload and the pdf is only 427kb but is says it is too big* advice?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have gotten my bloods done and have a clinic willing to start me on TRT. Given my current goals do you think this is a good idea?

*I'm trying to upload and the pdf is only 427kb but is says it is too big* advice?

Use an online storage site to upload your images (like Photobucket or Imgur). Trt can be life changing.